Gibson Brands Forums

NGD....wrong brand.

NHTom

This may be a little long winded, so I'll apologize in advance............

After getting my Gibson Custom Shop 58 re-issue a short while ago, a bit of a lightbulb came on in my head. It is such an amazing guitar and actually has inspired me to play better and play more. I woke me up a bit. I believe RevDavidLee commented when I got it that a quality instrument can change your approach, etc....."Lifestyle instead of hobby" may have been his statement.

I tend to have an addictive personality......and a tendency to hoard....lol. I'm the type of guy who wants ALL the guitars....if it catches my eye, I crave it.

What I'm finally learning is that I'll never have them all, and even if I did, short of winning the lottery and opening a museum, I wouldn't be able to give them all the attention they deserve.

This being said, I had GAS very bad for a new Tele. I found a fairly high end one and knew that unlike my R8, I couldn't just buy it. I had to move a few of my other instruments into this higher end one..........now the panic attacks start......lol. Which ones to cut from the herd? After a few weeks of thinking, I finally pulled the trigger and rounded up a few guitars and small amps that were not getting enough attention and headed to my favorite shop. The Tele was still there....................

After much stress about letting go of a few which even plagued me on the way home, I plugged this in and it made EVERYTHING better!!!!

101_1762A_zpsifyrvqia.jpg

Fender Custom Shop 1963 re-issue Telecaster in mild relic Ice Blue............

All I can say is WOW! Plays like a dream, great right out of the case, just has "that" sound.......blown away!

101_1768A_zpsvbdirrc1.jpg

Not bashing, but Gibson could take note on one item.........as stupid as this will sound........case candy. Nice leather strap, nice braided cord, heavy polishing cloth, AWESOME tool kit, etc.........I know it's not a big deal, but it is quite a package of stuff.

On that note though, the only let down is the case.......it's a great case......actually the tightest fitting Fender case I've ever had, but I guess, being a custom shop re-issue, I expected tweed......it's just black tolex.

I think between this one and my R8, I will continue to thin the herd a little more......not trying to get snobby as there are several guitars in my collection that are great and in expensive that I would never part with, I just think I've discovered that I've reached a point where I'd rather have a few really great guitars instead of several good ones and several "ok" ones...........

NHTom

Nice lookin' Tele! Glad it's playing as good as it looks. [thumbup]

I've never been that much of a fully clean player, but this thing loves it.......that Bedrock amp with just a touch of reverb sounds amazing with it.

Roll on a tiny bit of dirt and it screams......I feel like I'm maturing...lol....or as my wife says, "getting old".

NHTom

Oh sweet!!!

After installing the CS 51 NOcaster pickups, swapping the cap with a Orange Drop and set it up to my liking it's getting really hard to put my Tele back in the case. Who would have thought.

They are just fun to play.

Awesome finish on yours, love it.

And watch out, give your others some playing time too, those Tele's are addictive!

NOICE

Shoulda added to my How Long You Been Playin answer, 45 years, 46 next month actually, and only a couple very short times since 1971 without a Telecaster(s) in the house.

rct

VERY Sweet indeed!

Is that a minty-green pre-CBS look 'guard as well?

Excellent choice.

I also agree 100% about quality over quantity.

I'd far rather have 5 excellent guitars that 50 mediocre-to-good ones.

Pip.

NOICE

Shoulda added to my How Long You Been Playin answer, 45 years, 46 next month actually, and only a couple very short times since 1971 without a Telecaster(s) in the house.

rct

I think it was Keef who said "You gotta have a plank!"

NHTom

VERY Sweet indeed!

Is that a minty-green pre-CBS look 'guard as well?

Excellent choice.

I also agree 100% about quality over quantity.

I'd far rather have 5 excellent guitars that 50 mediocre-to-good ones.

Pip.

Yes, that's how it came. Works great with the color.

NHTom

Beautiful Tele, I really like the color. You have decided that it's better to own a few high quality guitars than a lot of inexpensive ones, which indicates that your guitar knowledge and playing skill level has improved. I am not knocking inexpensive guitars because they make it easier for people to learn and continue to play music. I consider myself fortunate to be able to own higher quality guitars.

Yes, I've got a Studio, and a hand full of specials in the same price range that are awesome guitars that I'll never part with. I've got a very low priced Fender American Special strat that is a beast........I'd put it up against almost anything.

I'm just at the point where if it doesn't "wow" me, I'm going to cut it loose and roll all of those into a few that really wow me.

NHTom

Beautiful Tele! If you just had that and the LP (and some tasty amps), you'd pretty much be set. Everything else is gravy :)

now lets not get crazy here.............the hoarder in me needs a LITTLE fun.........lmao.

Between what that tele will do and my R8, I could keep my JCM 800 and my Bedrock 1200 and honestly get about 95% of the sounds I like.....and be thrilled with those sounds.

NHTom

...If you just had that and the LP......you'd pretty much be set. Everything else is gravy...

At the risk of going off-topic for a second or so...

Respectfully, Dub, I must disagree. A Strat is essential.

Thirteen years ago I sold my '64 and did without one for about 18 months. That experience showed me just how essential they are (for me).

But with the Holy Trinity of LP, Tele and Strat? Yes. They have all the electric duties wrapped-up.

Pip.

• 3 months later...

But with the Holy Trinity of LP, Tele and Strat? Yes. They have all the electric duties wrapped-up.

Well "all the electric duties" might be pushing it. Toss in an SG and I might agree. Especially if any slide it to be played. [biggrin]

Archived