Gibson Brands Forums

Nervous to the point of..........

Buc McMaster

Well, I mustered up a little courage and hit an open mic stage this evening. SCARED. SHITLESS. Damn. Fingers wouldn't cooperate, got a serious case of cottonmouth. Would have preferred to stand but the guy running the show wanted me to sit with the guitar mic'ed up. On the plus side, it's a nice room with an older crowd that seemed to appreciate what I was doing. Did about six tunes, most of which you folks are bored with already, so here's one you haven't heard me do. I think I have recovered enough and am determined to do it again next Sunday, keeping trying to work through my nerves. Back on the horse what threw ya............. [unsure]

Sundown Saloon - Swinging Doors

Sundown Saloon - Ramblin' Man

Good job, Bucaroo!

The audience seemed to appreciate it. Another week and you'll have your sea legs back, and wonder what all the fuss was about.

Be careful, or they'll start paying you, and you'll be hooked all over again.

Hooray!

And that is out of the way.

Like I said in the other thread, when I couldn't get out of playing at the funeral wake I nearly died myself! I don't remember getting 'cottonmouth' but had everything else. Silly, isn't it? I have played all kinds of things over the years and then that. You would think it would just cancel out after a while, but ..no.

I can't listen to your track while I am working - later...but how did you enjoy just guitar mic'd through PA? It has many of the 'easy' pluses, doesn't it? And a few minuses... but it is easier than fiddling with preamps and too many leads when nervous!

Congratulations!

BluesKing777.

Yee-haw, I was waiting for newa such as this! Glad you stepped out and broke the ice. Yeah, keep doing it- make it a habit, and go even when you don't particularly feel like it.

Sounds great, too. Keep riding, cowboy!

Indeed.....the first cut is the deepest, so they say. Thanks for the kind words, folks, gives me hope that it's not as bad as it seems. The hands felt like they were sportin' rubber bands, couldn't get the pick hand to relax into rhythm and missed more than once. A work in progress, we'll say.

I do hear another voice in the chorus in places......might have been the wife holding the phone. Meanwhile, the guy in the background at the bar is be-boppin' and apparently singing along to himself! Cool!

I do like the room, and the host seems jovial. He and a harp player did an hour or so set to open things (Takamine 12-string), and apparently I was the only player that showed up otherwise. He said I could play as long as I wanted, but the nerves were shot so I called it short. I will go back, perhaps with the Dove next week. I figure going out once a week to this same place will engender some familiarity and comfort which will go a long way to calming my nerves. This will also be a good venue for the maiden voyage of the pickup/preamp rig for the Hummingbird after it get it in the ballpark here at home.

Well done Buc, the first step is the deepest ... then its all plain sailing. Its like what the mafia wiseguys always say, its the first hit thats the hardest, then its just a another face.

Although admittedly i still get nervous before every gig, especially now that Im doing vocals.

Sounded very solid, but you knew it would.

Sounded fine. [thumbup] Pretty much what I'd expect to hear from a few of the country/bush guys at our local open mic.

No need for nerves (though a little is healthy I reckon), people are nice and the songs should go down well in that sort of joint by the looks and sound of it.

Mate of mine who sang the songs before I got the courage to do it never seemed to be in the slightest bit nervous.

I asked him about t and he said sure a little nerves all the time but , and excuse the vernacular , he said 'stuarty f@ck them ! I'm singing a song and that's it'

You're the one with the guitar and the song , you haven't just walked in off the street and started to sing , you were asked. The room and the time has been organised for you to do your thing.

If you had practiced as much on fixing boilers you wouldn't be nervous about fixing one .

There are some that perhaps should be advised that they're not ready to take the final step (public performances are surely the final step) but you fine well that you can carry a song.

It's been over a year since I played out and sometimes I miss it. Sometimes I'm glad I don't have to leave the house after I've had my dinner 😄

Sounded darn good to this humble scribe. You obviously know what you're doing.

That said, if you feel better standing, stand. I don't care what the host said. When you're on stage, you own the space. If it's your first time playing there, I can see not making a fuss about it, but you have to do what is most comfortable for you.

if you feel better standing, stand. I don't care what the host said. When you're on stage, you own the space. If it's your first time playing there, I can see not making a fuss about it, but you have to do what is most comfortable for you.

Yep. I would have stood up to the Soundman.......

Buc, that was awesome, you didn't look a BIT nervous.

Very relaxed in fact.

I've played that song a million times, and now I want a beer.

And I haven't had a beer in almost 7 years !

It's been over a year since I played out and sometimes I miss it. Sometimes I'm glad I don't have to leave the house after I've had my dinner 😄

Why did you choose to stop playing mate ? I thought you enjoyed your little pub gigs.

I find Friday nites to be the highlight of the week, always look forward to gigging. (not that my other 6 days are miserable, actually pretty high quality) But its just a great way to unwind after a tough week, meet some old friends, play a few tunes, get free booze and food and some pocket money ... and then let the weekend roll. Gold I reckon.

I do hear another voice in the chorus in places......might have been the wife holding the phone.

Great job! Also if that is your wife singing those harmony vocals, you should bring her up to sing that song with you. Your voices blended well together! For my money, male/female harmony vocals are where it's at.

Mate of mine who sang the songs before I got the courage to do it never seemed to be in the slightest bit nervous.

I asked him about t and he said sure a little nerves all the time but , and excuse the vernacular , he said 'stuarty f@ck them ! I'm singing a song and that's it'

Now that there is a deep keeper.

Archived