Gibson Brands Forums

AJ 220SCE battery/preamp issue

JAVLong

I recently bought an Epiphone AJ-220SCE acoustic electric. Beautiful guitar and sounds great unplugged but it just doesn't work plugged in. Brand new batteries....it just doesn't seem to be getting the connection for the pickup or the tuner.

So....the guy I bought it from tells me he changed the batteries and noticed there was a piece of gold foil that appeared to not belong and so he removed it and it would kick in and out since then. Stupid stupid and more stupid I know. Unfortunately I didn't plug it in before purchasing. No amp available at the time. Regardless, if it's just that it should be a simple fix....or st least I hope it is. Since I didn't see it before I don't know what it's supposed to look like.

Does anyone have a schematic or picture so I can see what it should be like so I can hopefully fix it? Or maybe even instructions on what to Do? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I don't have a schematic to point you to but I can tell you a few things to look for. The pre-amp on most a/e guitars has two wire connections, one to the endpin jack, one from the undersaddle pickup. See that those connections are solid. You'll probably have to unscrew the endpin jack and extract it through the sound hole in order to see the connections.

Sounds to me like a battery is simply not touching both the positive and negative poles of the battery holder and to make them touch on both ends someone placed a simple piece of folded tin foil on one end of the poles between the end and the battery so the battery would connect to both poles. On one of my Fishman sound hold pickups, the two small batteries do not touch like they should so I jam a small cutting of a 6th guitar string between the two batteries to make them connect. Works fine, then.

You might see if the battery you reference is slightly not touching the terminal and trying putting a tin foil filler or cut guitar string in there to fill the small gap so it connects. Or, trying to bend a pole spring out if it's a AA battery so it connects better, but be careful you don't break it.

Another option is simply take it to a repair person. It's likely a simple repair or part replacement.

If I have misunderstood the problem with what I surmised, apologies are offered.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Another option is simply take it to a repair person. It's likely a simple repair or part replacement.

Yeah, if you can't fix it right away, take it to a guitar tech or luthier. As QM says, it's likely a very simple, inexpensive fix. And it's a great guitar. Fix it. Play it!

Sounds to me like a battery is simply not touching both the positive and negative poles of the battery holder and to make them touch on both ends someone placed a simple piece of folded tin foil on one end of the poles between the end and the battery so the battery would connect to both poles. On one of my Fishman sound hold pickups, the two small batteries do not touch like they should so I jam a small cutting of a 6th guitar string between the two batteries to make them connect. Works fine, then.

You might see if the battery you reference is slightly not touching the terminal and trying putting a tin foil filler or cut guitar string in there to fill the small gap so it connects. Or, trying to bend a pole spring out if it's a AA battery so it connects better, but be careful you don't break it.

If I have misunderstood the problem with what I surmised, apologies are offered.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I think you got it right there. Probably just not touching both poles. I checked out a new one at the music store today and there was no gold foil so he probably had it on as a spacer to get the connection.

No apologies necessary!! I may have been focusing on too narrow a spectrum. Thanks for your input. I'll let you know how it goes.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

You sir are a bonafide genius!! That was a quick and easy fix. I opened the battery compartment again for the 10th time and got a flashlight to take a good look. In the bottom of the compartment was a plastic piece that certainly didn't look correct. It took tweezers to get it out as they had jammed it in good when replacing the batteries. At least it was a good laugh. Check out the picture of what it was. Lol

post-83500-093116100 1484252909_thumb.jpeg

Archived