Gibson Brands Forums

3 Point Bridge Question

adamdanga

Hello All, I finally purchased my first Gibson bass last Friday and I couldn't be more happy with it. As I got it home on Friday I noticed that anchors holding the bridge down appear to be raising from the body of the bass. The manager of the guitar center claimed it was due to the thin body of the SG, I don't typically shop at the big name stores mostly because I don't feel like I can trust them. I've attached a few pictures and would really love to hear what you guys think. I did call them today and they offered to repair the bass if needed.

https://goo.gl/photos/E1sQFBqK8xy84zXaA

https://goo.gl/photos/sJnhSVFDydwTZh7o7

Exchange it for another Bass.. looks like those holes were over sized and the Knurls did not grip the walls of the hole.. to be honest.. fixing wont work.. to much tension and it will re appear again in time.. is this Bass new? I think I would be wearing a helmet around that with all the tension..

Exchange it for another Bass.. looks like those holes were over sized and the Knurls did not grip the walls of the hole.. to be honest.. fixing wont work.. to much tension and it will re appear again in time.. is this Bass new? I think I would be wearing a helmet around that with all the tension..

Thanks for your response. I've spoken to a few guitar techs to get some advice and many of them don't seem to think it's all that major of a repair. The bass is used so I'm thinking the previous owner didn't know what they were doing and just started turning screws.

My plan is/was to have the bass repaired and then swap the bridge with a hipshot in hopes that it will prevent this issue from happening again.

Does any of this change your suggestion to exchange it? Normally I wouldn't hesitate but I've been searching for one of these for a long time now and I would hate to have to bring it back, that being said I also don't want to get ripped off.

That is a major issue. I would return the bass and get my money back. It's not that it can't be fixed. It can be doweled and re-drilled or fixed with epoxy but they lied to you about the severity of the issue. They would loose my business over that.

• 3 weeks later...

Happened to my Thunderbird a few years ago and I understand not an uncommon problem caused by the pressure of the strings. Took it to a luthier who glued them in for £20 and no problem since. Some say you should angle the bridge up at the front a bit tp prevent lift. I thought a replacement hipshot bridge screws into the existing anchors and perhaps may need gluing in anyway before replacing. There is a clip on Utube - 3 point bridge problem......

Don't worry- it's not a big deal. I had the same problem with my SG (I forget what year, but it was the first year for the re-issue). I just glued them in with wood glue and never had another problem, and I used the bass for years. If you're thinking of replacing the bridge, I would highly recommend the Babicz Full Contact. I've used the Hipshot and the Babicz; the Hipshot is a big improvement over the 3 point, but the Babicz is so much better. Noticeable sustain, adds some brightness/ harmonics, and it's infinitely adjustable. The Babicz is the only bridge I've ever had that I could definitely hear the difference.

http://fullcontacthardware.com/fch-3-point-four-string-bass-bridge-gibson-style.htm

Archived