Gibson Brands Forums

1965 Gibson Country Western

220volt

So for the past few months my luthier and I been working on my 1965 Gibson Country Western, and was so pleased with how everything turned out that I had to record the results.

Basically I have a stock early 1965 Gibson CW that I dearly love, but I wanted to preserve original parts from wear and tear and at the same time try to improve the sound, if that's even possible. So I replaced the tuners with new Kluson original replicas, Nnew bone nut, dressed up first couple of frets myself, straighten the neck and lowered the action.

But even more importantly, my luthier replaced the original adjustable saddle with a long bone saddle held in the bridge by piece of matching rosewood. Both the saddle and rosewood are all one piece adn the whole thing pulls out. I also took out all hardware and only left those two long screws in, so the original adjustable saddle can be put back in 2 minutes

When all was done, the results was nothing short of astonishing to me. It has gotten deeper, a lot more resonant, dryer and even more Gibson-ish. You will see in the video that I am barely touching the strings and notes just fly out the sound hole. It actually requires me to adjust my technique, becasue notes ring so clear and resonant that every mistake (as you will see in the video) is magnified 10 fold.

Notes are lot thicker too with harmonics everywhere. And plays like butter. My luthier said and I quote "man, this thing is a beast". Pretty happy with results.

https://youtu.be/er9rLTx9xWk

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only way to listen to the vintage gibby is with a beer and a ziggie

Hahahe he, , , I lOVE it - and the guitar too.

Lots of power, genuine rather fat slightly smokey dryness and bass. Then dig that last G-chord. Stunningly beautiful. And no trace of any ghost A-harmonic whatsoever.

Btw. notice the luthier used the whole length of the original groove. A bit unusual, but probably not a bad idea.

Long journey home. Started out Feb-March last year.

1965 ^ Be Happy

Hahahe he, , , I lOVE it - and the guitar too. Lots of power, genuine rather fat slightly smokey dryness and bass. Then dig that last G-chord. Stunningly beautiful. And no trace of any ghost A-harmonic whatsoever. Btw. notice the luthier used the whole length of the original groove. A bit unusual, but probably not a bad idea. Long journey home. Started out Feb-March last year. 1965 ^ Be Happy

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, very woody and dry, but resonant! Very responsive to light touch. Love it. Now that hard part is done, experimentation with different string brands begins.

Man, you have some memory to remember exact months and the issue.

1965 is also my wife's year of birth :)

Yes that is highly responsive, dry and cranky CW that shows its years in the tone. Rich and full, and very dry.

Its interesting, I always hear that dryness in CW's, even the modern ones . They are meant to be really stripped down Hummingbirds but I always hear a difference. The CW's always have a dryer, 'dustier' tone while the Birds have that nectarish overtone that makes them distinct. Im curious what the difference is, maybe the pickguard thickness, which was discussed many a time over the years.

Are you boys living in the Balkans ? You both seem to have names from the region, Macedonian, Serb ? (I looked at the Scorpions cover)

Longer video than the AGF.... #winning.

Angie. Gibson square. Bueno. Some songs need a Gibson. I tried playing Girl With Far Away Eyes on my Taylor 214 in a bar and I broke a string. JuJu will only allow certain permutations in the universe.

You have a great 50 year old Gibson. Well Done!

Thanks! They are lights. Martin monels 12-54.

Hah! The monel strings are a key to the dry, crackly tone shown by this guitar. Nickel has a totally different sound compared to the PB that many of us use on acoustics these days. Back in the 1960's, I would put monel mediums on my J-45 in order to be heard when playing with guys playing Martin dreads.

I bet this guitar would be a powerhouse with mediums, if it could take them, and if your style of playing demanded that level of projection.

Is this a short scale or long scale guitar? Can't remember if the scale length changed in this period. Em7 would know.

Yes that is highly responsive, dry and cranky CW that shows its years in the tone. Rich and full, and very dry.

Its interesting, I always hear that dryness in CW's, even the modern ones . They are meant to be really stripped down Hummingbirds but I always hear a difference. The CW's always have a dryer, 'dustier' tone while the Birds have that nectarish overtone that makes them distinct. Im curious what the difference is, maybe the pickguard thickness, which was discussed many a time over the years.

Are you boys living in the Balkans ? You both seem to have names from the region, Macedonian, Serb ? (I looked at the Scorpions cover)

I agree. CW's are definitely dryer. I also find birds to be more of a honey-glazed, beautiful mellow singer/songwriter machines, if you find a really good one. Someone on AGF glued second pickguard to his CW and claimed that it turned it into a hummingbird. So there's something to that. I would also like to compare the top (back and sides as well) thickness measurements between the two.

We are both originally from Bosnia, but been living in states for 20+ years, so we're pretty much 'Muricinized as they would say here in KY :)

Longer video than the AGF.... #winning.

Angie. Gibson square. Bueno. Some songs need a Gibson. I tried playing Girl With Far Away Eyes on my Taylor 214 in a bar and I broke a string. JuJu will only allow certain permutations in the universe.

You have a great 50 year old Gibson. Well Done!

Thanks!

Yeah there was lot more songs and playing but I had to cut it off, before my ego takes over lol

Hah! The monel strings are a key to the dry, crackly tone shown by this guitar. Nickel has a totally different sound compared to the PB that many of us use on acoustics these days. Back in the 1960's, I would put monel mediums on my J-45 in order to be heard when playing with guys playing Martin dreads.

I bet this guitar would be a powerhouse with mediums, if it could take them, and if your style of playing demanded that level of projection.

Is this a short scale or long scale guitar? Can't remember if the scale length changed in this period. Em7 would know.

I believe this guitar can take mediums, no problem. I just use it for different playing style so lights will suffice for now. I have my Martin with Monel mediums for bluegrass and flatpicking.

I love nickel strings. Ever since I've heard Tony Rice (one of my absolute favorites) for the first time, I knew I had to have them. My vintage Martin is loving those and it is all he's getting. However, on CW's I might try something more "wet" just to experiment. I would like to get the tone somewhere half way between where it is now (very dry and woody) and a hummingbird. I believe little wetter lends itself better for a strumming/singer style. If it's too dry and woody, you will hear pick strokes too much so you will have to go to very thin picks, which I don't like.

It's a short scale guitar. Love the playability.

I love the CW.

I have one from 1962 that I purchased from Gruhn. That's the year they first made the square-shoulder:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_Country_%26_Western

I also switched out the plastic adjustable bridge for a wood one. I chose to go with Ebony as that matched the original black plastic. These guitars are incredible. Lots of mid-range, record great and have a ton of songs waiting to be found inside of them.

May it bring you many years of enjoyment.

I believe this guitar can take mediums, no problem. I just use it for different playing style so lights will suffice for now. I have my Martin with Monel mediums for bluegrass and flatpicking.

I love nickel strings. Ever since I've heard Tony Rice (one of my absolute favorites) for the first time, I knew I had to have them. My vintage Martin is loving those and it is all he's getting. However, on CW's I might try something more "wet" just to experiment. I would like to get the tone somewhere half way between where it is now (very dry and woody) and a hummingbird. I believe little wetter lends itself better for a strumming/singer style. If it's too dry and woody, you will hear pick strokes too much so you will have to go to very thin picks, which I don't like.

It's a short scale guitar. Love the playability.

Try DR Sunbeam PB mediums ( which are .12's, but with a heavier low E string)for the other end of the tonal spectrum. You might be surprised.

I love the CW.

I have one from 1962 that I purchased from Gruhn. That's the year they first made the square-shoulder:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_Country_%26_Western

I also switched out the plastic adjustable bridge for a wood one. I chose to go with Ebony as that matched the original black plastic. These guitars are incredible. Lots of mid-range, record great and have a ton of songs waiting to be found inside of them.

May it bring you many years of enjoyment.

Nice. There are lot of debates if the adjustable saddle is detrimental or beneficial to the sound, so I went back and forth few times, and in my mind, there is no question that my guitar sounds at least three levels better with the standard saddle. But I've also heard people like adjustable more.

Try DR Sunbeam PB mediums ( which are .12's, but with a heavier low E string)for the other end of the tonal spectrum. You might be surprised.

Those were on top of my list, until I've tried Santa Cruz parabolic strings medium tension. Which supposed to be very similar to DR Sunbeam, and I did not like them at all on my Gibson. Besides the endless sustain and sounding super modern, they have sort of church echo-chamber reverb to them. It feels like you are playing in much larger room. There are some overtones to them as well, where notes just ring into one another. Now, some might love that, but I like my Gibson to be dry, woody with strong and clear fundamentals. They're way too bright and resonant. These strings would yield probably much better results on a smaller finger style 00 or even OM size. Too busy, and too much of that metallic echo.

Having said that, I will def try DR Sunbeams. Who know, they might surprise me :)

Nice. There are lot of debates if the adjustable saddle is detrimental or beneficial to the sound, so I went back and forth few times, and in my mind, there is no question that my guitar sounds at least three levels better with the standard saddle. But I've also heard people like adjustable more.

My plastic saddle was broken when I bought it and I originally tried hard to find a replacement. After failing in my search I had no choice but to do the replacement/repair. But, it really made a huge difference - the guitar came alive. I maintained the adjustable screws and bone saddle with the new bridge. I have the adjustable bridge on a '58 LG2 and it sings as well. I just like the chunky bone saddle. To my ear it creates a bright/defined sound that cuts through well in a mix (and living room).

Archived