Gibson Brands Forums

Basement find

btoth76

Hello.

A friend of mine told me He has some kind of a studio equipment in the basement of his house. A friend of His left it there a decade ago, and they have lost contact long ago. He offered to me for free. It's in the way for Him.

We dragged it out of the basement (He forgot to tell how big this stuff is). Opening the metal case, this is what we found:

HPIM6201_zpsru1ry01t.jpg

Electro Voice BK-2432 Stereo Mixer.

Needs some cleaning for sure.

Bence.

The jack sockets are all rusted. 27 of them need replacement. Some surface rust on the panel surface - it can be wiped off with paper towels.

HPIM6206_zpsctpnczie.jpg

I only wonder what the hell I will able to use it for?

Bence.

If you have a band it would make a great mixer for live BUT... You should consider a couple of things. How much will it cost you to get the mixer up and running, in a clean and reliable manner? Do you really want to lug it around and use up so much space? Technology has brought the cost and size of consoles way down. For the same money you would need to invest you might be able to buy a new, compact, feature filled mixer. The EV mixer in the photos has no built in FX so you will also need some outboard gear if you want to use it and sound good. At minimum a reverb and delay. It has three sends, one for monitors, an effects send and a aux send. Looks like it also has an insert for every channel on the mixer which is nice but means more outboard gear in your rack, compressors, noise gates...etc. A new mixer will have all that built in.

What would I use it for? If I had a club i'd make make a glass top bar and have it there sitting under the glass looking cool as hell...

What would I use it for? If I had a club i'd make make a glass top bar and have it there sitting under the glass looking cool as hell...

Hello Dave.

That is all I can do with it too. :D

However, it will be made up-and-running quite quickly and cheap. My Dad used to build those for living 40 years ago. He builds my effects too:

HPIM6213_zpsfknvf8oc.jpg

Bence.

In its day a superb piece of analog equipment and still will sound good, no doubt about that. Beautiful eq.

But because of size desks such as this sell very cheap indeed these days, despite the expensive electronics inside.

For years I had a Studiomaster Seies V 24-8-2 dominating my living room, lovely desk but so big and eventually obsolete.

I sold it a couple of years ago for about £50 - cost well over £1k back in the late 80s.

Love those pedals Bence - is the 'Inverter' a phaser?

Love those pedals Bence - is the 'Inverter' a phaser?

Thank You, Jdgm.

The Inverter splits the signal in two, and puts the phase 90 degrees away on one channel. Both channels have separate gain control as well. It's a device for playing thru two amps at once - in stereo.

Bence

msp_scared.gif

Crikey!

...I only wonder what the hell I will able to use it for?...

It would make a pretty decent anchor for your yacht.

Great to hear you could get it up and running without too much outlay.

But, seriously, as far as what to do with it? No idea. I've only once played in what could almost-but-not-quite be called a 'proper' recording studio (a friend of a friend's place) and they had something like that but I'm talking about over 30 years ago. Does anyone ever use anything like that today? The points made by Dave in post #3 seem to hit the nail on the head.

Sell it?

I suppose scanning eBay for completed sales would be a starting point but how often does a piece of kit like that turn up on the 'Bay?

Then again; we keep hearing rumours of a return to analogue and a return to vinyl so there might be a small but niche market. Is it Lenny Kravitz who insists that nothing built after the last ice-age is allowed in his recording process?

Good Luck with it, Bence. Keep us informed!

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

EDIT : I just remembered what it was that I had read recently ! ! !

You want to sell it (or donate it & they pay for shipping) to the ex-Olympic Recording Studio in Barnes, West London;

"Olympic was one of England’s finest recording facilities and birthplace to some of the greatest music of the 20th century, including the Jimi Hendrix Experience’s Are You Experienced, the Rolling Stones’ Let It Bleed, Queen’s Night at the Opera, and large portions of Led Zeppelin I, II and III....

Olympic is now an ultra-hip movie theater/café, decorated with candid in-studio photos of rock’s finest musicians and tasteful bric-a-brac that celebrates the building’s past glories. The recording consoles and microphones are long gone, but, fortunately, some of the old spirit still remains..."

There you go!

msp_smile.gif

P.S.; I used to live in Barnes. Nice place. I had no idea about it's past glories, though!

Mind you, there might have been some clues...

At that time ('94-'99) Andrew Lloyd Webber had just bought a £10,000,000 pad there and I once bumped into Brian May in the small local mom+pop cycle shop...

Hello Pippy!

I hear You. This stuff is definitely outdated and no use for me. Selling it? It doesn't even worth the effort. It gets a nice cleaning, and I will replace the sockets. That is all. I will put it away for the archeologists of the future.

Best wishes... Bence

Archived