Gibson Brands Forums

Howdy and NGD

Sérgio

Howdy everyone!

Just got my first Gibson guitar, been a Fender man so far.

Got a 2012 '61 reissue SG in faded worn brown finish...

17A58D7B-D058-4328-9D05-4D6AE7E8BACF_zpsckfxkab9.jpg

Charming and resonant guitar...

I couldn't find the proper page for the "faded" reference, but emailed Gibson about it and it is the very same model as the Satin, Lord knows why the different naming: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-61-Reissue-Satin.aspx

Good to join this place!

Congrats on this nice SG, HNGD! [thumbup] Looks very pretty to my eyes. [love]

I'm a bit unsure about the '61 thing though. The bevels look very much '61-like, but she has a Nashville bridge and chrome hardware. However, I would prefer Nashville over ABR-1 and chrome over nickel, so she would be all right for me! [biggrin][thumbup]

Congrats on this nice SG, HNGD! [thumbup] Looks very pretty to my eyes. [love]

I'm a bit unsure about the '61 thing though. The bevels look very much '61-like, but she has a Nashville bridge and chrome hardware. However, I would prefer Nashville over ABR-1 and chrome over nickel, so she would be all right for me! [biggrin][thumbup]

You are a champion [biggrin]

image_57.jpg

Thanks for all the kind replies.

Yes, as far as I can tell (I'm a Fender man, entirely new to Gibsons) it does have a Chrome Nashville bridge and Kluson Deluxe tuners.

Papers and stickers on box say "Faded Worn Brown", instead of satin, but like I mentioned, Gibson replied my email stating that it is the very same model.

Nice!

Which Fenders do you/ did you have can I ask?

I can't justify having more than one decent guitar at any one time (as I'm very much an amateur and decent guitars genera cost a lot more in the UK) so in past 10/12 years have gone:

Std Strat to

Std Tele to

SG Special to

Les Paul Std to

Tele special to ....... SG Std

For me, the SG Standard beats the lot of them 👍🏻

Nice!

Which Fenders do you/ did you have can I ask?

I can't justify having more than one decent guitar at any one time (as I'm very much an amateur and decent guitars genera cost a lot more in the UK) so in past 10/12 years have gone:

Std Strat to

Std Tele to

SG Special to

Les Paul Std to

Tele special to ....... SG Std

For me, the SG Standard beats the lot of them 👍🏻

I've had several guiitars, now I'm down to three.

The Gibson SG 61 Reissue, I just got it.

Fender American Standard Strat, entirely stock, it's probably the best guitar I ever owned and played. It's my main guitar, the one I've gigged with most of my stage time so far, and I can sey it is as good as a Strat will ever be.

...and a rarity, a 1994 Fender Southern Cross Series, made in Brazil. A limited series that lasted from 1993 to 1995, also entirely stock except for the pickups (it has a set of Fat 50s and I replaced the jack for a Switchcraft, but that's it.), quite road worn, but still reliable and beautiful.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2013 61RI with baked maple finger board. Best built guitar I have and one of my favorites.

Howdy everyone!

Just got my first Gibson guitar, been a Fender man so far.

Got a 2012 '61 reissue SG in faded worn brown finish...

17A58D7B-D058-4328-9D05-4D6AE7E8BACF_zpsckfxkab9.jpg

Charming and resonant guitar...

I couldn't find the proper page for the "faded" reference, but emailed Gibson about it and it is the very same model as the Satin, Lord knows why the different naming: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-61-Reissue-Satin.aspx

Good to join this place!

That is one beautiful guitar. Congratulations! msp_thumbup.gif

I'm in the market for an SG myself but don't know much about them. What do you think? Special, Standard, Limited Edition ($899.00 at AMS), HD's (others, used?) better years than others? I know I have to play all of them but I would like to hear opinions. Thanks

second hand??

I would say seek ye a standard from some time before 2015 (the dreaded zero nut/auto tune year!!)

Some years (2012 for example) the fret boards were torrified maple, (the government raid era!)

some didn't like the idea of the maple fretboard on an SG, but I have one and I really dig it.

I also have an SG Special (p90s, bound neck, dot inlay) from 2005/2006. - on the "sell it? Are you nutz?" list..

if you like P90s, you'd really like one of those.

second hand??

I would say seek ye a standard from some time before 2015 (the dreaded zero nut/auto tune year!!)

Some years (2012 for example) the fret boards were torrified maple, (the government raid era!)

some didn't like the idea of the maple fretboard on an SG, but I have one and I really dig it.

I also have an SG Special (p90s, bound neck, dot inlay) from 2005/2006. - on the "sell it? Are you nutz?" list..

if you like P90s, you'd really like one of those.

I have a '95-'96 Mystic Red Strat with a maple neck and Hot Noiseless p'ups that is one of my favorite players. I also have an LP Black Beauty with an ebony fingerboard and 490/498's that is my very favorite player. The main reason I'm looking at SG's is because I like the shape of the body compared to my LP and I get to keep the Gibson 24 3/4" scale that has lower tension, warmer tone and feels easier to play than my Strat. BTW - I heard that the 24 3/4 scale has shrunk down over the years to 24 9/16. I think I might go with 490/490 this time but we'll see.

So I'll start my quest looking for a Standard pre-2015 (maybe even a 2012). Thanks much for your reply.

I recently picked up a 2017 cherryburst HP... I like the zero nut... The g force is a different story. This ****, in my opinion, doesn't belong on such a beast... Plus, it adds way too much weight to the headstock... Waiting for my new Sperzel soundloks to show up... Oh, I took of the gaudy chrome knobs and threw on some top hats... Guitar sounds incredible...

Why a pre-2015 Gibson SG ? That' s stupid... :rolleyes:

I bought a 2015 SG, awesome guitar, very comfortable, this beauty sounds very hot with Classic '57 humbuckers. A fantastic instrument. [thumbup]

sg_sta56.jpg

I recently picked up a 2017 cherryburst HP... I like the zero nut... The g force is a different story. This ****, in my opinion, doesn't belong on such a beast... Plus, it adds way too much weight to the headstock... Waiting for my new Sperzel soundloks to show up... Oh, I took of the gaudy chrome knobs and threw on some top hats... Guitar sounds incredible...

Thanks for your input. I guess that's why there is chocolate and vanilla. We all have different tastes. I suppose the only way for me to make a well-informed decision is to try as many as I can.

Congrats. Good choice. I prefer the small pickguards. I have a '67 Gibson SG Special Reissue w/P-90s (GOW) and the small PG and an SG Supreme with no pickguard. And although I have 6 gloss finish guitars and basses, I like my Gibson Faded LP Special with hums and my ESP/Ltd 7 string guitar and 4 string bass with satin finishes just as much.

Archived