Gibson Brands Forums

Finally... Offical 2017 pages up

Rabs

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see the metal nuts are back on a few models and the first few new models are at a good price but look butt ugly.

Same as last year... T and HP versions .. The HP ones also mostly seem to have all chrome hardware... Looks a bit OTT to me... But hey at least theres some choice...

Hmmmm... I don't see that PRS looking one there.

Because as far as I know they are just prototypes... Probably several months of marketing meetings to come yet.... :)

Plus I also think they are from the Custom Shop rather than the USA line, according to this vid... I cant believe they didn't even mention it.. rather a DC Special (even though that is pretty cool)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQFKGT7hIAA

Glory-frickin'-halleluja!

The Les Paul Custom Special is still my favorite of the 2017 line... and those new colors, that have not been on any vendor sites yet, are even cooler than I'd imagined they'd be.

Titanium Gray with the pearloid pick guard is very sharp!

LPSS117TICH3_BODY_FRONT_BACK.jpg

Why is it they know they don't do cheap well, so they just keep expanding the cheap? No offense Gibson, and anyone that goes out and gets a couple, but that stuff is crap. I can feel how bad that FibreBird Zero is just by looking at pictures. The Melody Maker guitars were terrible, why do you keep doing this?

Sorry folks, they've never done cheap well and I don't expect them to start now.

rct

Why is it they know they don't do cheap well, so they just keep expanding the cheap? No offense Gibson, and anyone that goes out and gets a couple, but that stuff is crap. I can feel how bad that FibreBird Zero is just by looking at pictures. The Melody Maker guitars were terrible, why do you keep doing this?

Sorry folks, they've never done cheap well and I don't expect them to start now.

rct

Melody Makers aren't that bad IMO. The one pickup versions are quite limited in terms of tone, but they play really nicely. The thing I always loved about them is that they are extremely light weight and comfortable to play for long periods of time. I certainly wouldn't say they are crap. Ever tried an Encore Strat copy?, now they are a piece of junk generally!

Guest Farnsbarns

I know Farns is going to just love this 'Official Decree' from the LP faded page!..

"Even thicker rosewood fingerboard: Even more tone"

msp_laugh.gif

They must have turned the 'board up to 11...

Pip.

Just saw it, and you took the post right out of my fingertips. And the "historic 9 hole weight relief for improved sustain". When will the self contradiction stop?

rct

curious [smile]

The worst Gibson I ever played was a 1961 SG. It was up for £9,000.

Play-ability & feel isnt nailed down to a price tag, and as they use the same pickups, nor is the sound.

Also, they can often use materials on the cheaper ones that are functionally better, knowing that the faithful wont accept them on higher end models.

curious [smile]

Play-ability & feel isnt nailed down to a price tag, and as they use the same pickups, nor is the sound.

Also, they can often use materials on the cheaper ones that are functionally better, knowing that the faithful wont accept them on higher end models.

Could say the same about an 80's black beauty I played.

And they've done a hell of a job with my 2013 LPJ wich cost me 500 bucks!

...The Melody Maker guitars were terrible......they've never done cheap well...
...As for melody makers, I'd put my 64 DC up against every telecaster ever made in terms of sound and playability and comfort and quality...

msp_w00t.gif

FIGHT!...FIGHT!...FIGHT!.......

Pass the popcorn..........

Pip.

curious [smile]

I embrace the low price tag, believe me. I'm well aware of what makes a guitar, so cheaper materials don't bother me. It's putting them together. No grain filler, so no finish to even speak of. Most of the cheap-o guitars have paint you wouldn't even want on yer coffee table or backyard deck railings. Mismatching of proportions, like they took a bunch of raw SG neck blanks and glued them into bodies that are just not substantial enough to pair well with the neck, too thin or too small area-wise, or both.

There are scwheet sub 700 dollar guitars out there, and I enjoy them just as much as the expensive ones. They just aren't made by Gibson, and every time I enthusiastically go into the guitar show to try out these new budget friendly Gibsons I am greatly disappointed. It's like somebody else made them.

rct

Archived