Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Classic 2017 HP

Marin2112

Hello everyone.

Just received this beauty last evening (I hope photo will upload correctly, as I'm doing it for the first time).

20170111_050732_zpsnhvszyzm.jpg

This is my first ever Gibson and since it was an online purchase, I was very nervous due to numerous (negative) forum posts I read in past few months about Gibson price vs. quality past few years, HP line in general, etc..., As this is my first real post after reading this forum for months, I will try to give my best shot and share my honest personal impressions and certain facts about this guitar, which could possibly help someone (as there are no many reviews yet anyway). One amazing fact is that on the same day I received the guitar, Gibson posted their 2017 line on their site and Rob and Captain finally released their review of 2017 Classic line...

Just to give you an idea, I got back into playing guitar an year ago, after a long pause of 14 years. As a teenager in 90-ties, I couldn't afford proper guitar and was playing home made acoustic, and a cheap strat copy (which was like a top notch for me back then). Les Paul was alwas a dream due to many of my heroes playing it, but never got to touch one...

In the past 12 months I owned and played Epi LP Goth, Epi SG G-400 and Gibson SG Standard 2016 T (in that order, and Gibson SG I only borrowed for couple of days). I like all of those guitars a lot, but I must admit I was not really "struck" by any of them and although EPI ones are relatively cheap and expected to be a bit lower standard, i was somewhat disappointed with Gibson SG (I didn't really "feel" a big difference vs. Epi SG).

As I progressed with practice, I started to think about treating myself with first serious purchase and kind of first "real" instrument in my life. Prices of Gibson LP Standard 2015 line dropped quite low in Europe during December and I was very close to pull the trigger on 2015 WRC LP Standard, although not 100% happy with super wide neck and already proven faulty brass zero nut, and G-Force and all the bad publicity all those 2015s were getting...

I personally kind of liked the ideas behind the HP line and when I saw 2017 Green Ocean Burst Classic "in stock", it was love at first sight, with all the improvements of the HP line compared to 2015 (titanium nut, improved G-force, only slightly wider neck, easy access heel). Price was a bit more, but I knew that was that...

When I received it yesterday, I immediately realized what everyone was saying regarding "guitars that play themselves" and difference between cheap and serious guitars. I'm not a professional and definitely not experienced with a lot of guitars behind my belt, but I actually FELT the difference immediately. Ease of playing, sound (I honestly had impression I play through different amp as well...), so many tone options, just a feel... I mean I'm sorry if I overreact, but I was truthfully impressed and blasted by this guitar. Setup was great out of the box and although action is a bit higher then I set on my other guitars (always includes fret buzz unfortunately), I don't intend to lower it for now, as it just doesn't bother me and plays as butter...

I inspected every bit of hardware, I really cannot find any flaws. There was some white thingy on the last two numbers of serial on the head stock, and I was shocked thinking it is a paint flaw, but it went away with a bit of wiping with a cloth...

All in all generally super happy with first impressions...

Some details:

1. G-force tuners - FYI, I was so skeptical about these, that I ordered Grover Rotomatics 502C together with guitar, but after checking out G-force yesterday, I don't intend to replace them just yet... I mean it is a great feature and easy to operate and I don't perform in clubs just yet, so appearance doesn't bother me really... I will experiment with various tunings and give it a try with G-force for some time... In my opinion, Gibson should just make actual tuning knobs of the G-force a bit more cosmetically attractive and more people could start accepting these. I also still need to check out string exchange with these to see how that works.

2. Zero fret nut - great feature for action adjustment in my opinion and knowing specs of titanium, I don't see why I would want classic nut over this one, except appearance, which doesn't bother me on the nut

3. Wider neck - I don't feel a real difference, but I'm not a professional player + I have relatively big hands and wider neck could actually benefit my playing. If you would know some of the necks I was learning on unfortunately, you would understand that I cannot be impressed with 1 mm difference in neck width...

4. Fast access heel - for me, one of the best features of HP line and in my case it removes the need to own an SG/double cut for good. Limited access with traditional LP was really bothering me and this solves that issue completely.

5. All-in-Chrome hardware - personal choice for every individual, but I like it, same as no poker chip and same as easy removable pick guard which doesn't leave holes in my guitar

6. Pick ups, sound, versatility - I mean just great. I still need to explore a lot of options and sounds on a long journey that it would be... No fret buzz, no dead notes, frets are literally PERFECT. Pick ups are 5-pin quick connect, so very easy to exchange.

7. Accessories - Aluminium case looks great quality but it is quite bulky. I don't care really, but for someone carrying guitar around, this thing with guitar in is over 15kg... usual paperwork inside with final inspection photo, charger for G-force, Gibson strap (not bad at all, but not top quality as well), very nice multi-tool, wiping cloth and 2 quick connect adapters in case you wish to install non quick connect pick ups to this guitar

Overall, I give this guitar 10 out of 10, but I realize I might be a bit too subjective and a bit too impressed at this point. I also must say that although I respect tradition and all, I think HP line gadgets are actual improvement, and I would personally make "hybrid" guitars if I was Gibson, with some of the new things combined with traditional things. I understand G-force tuners might be a turn off to many, but I don't see how a zero fret nut and especially fast access heel could be unwanted on a LP guitar. For cosmetics, it's a matter of personal choice and there will always be for and against on those...

Thank you Gibson!

Nice thoughtful review.

You obviously did your homework & it seems like it’s paid off.

Always good to hear from a satisfied customer and the colour/finish/woodgrain on your Classic is beautiful and distinctive too.

I also was sceptical about the G-Force system, but I’m still using mine 16 months following purchase. No problems so far. If you follow the instructions, string changes area a breeze; being fast and easy.

Enjoy your new LP :)

PS

If you don’t mind me saying so, try do resist lowering the action so far as to get fret buzz. It does spoil the sound.

Nice thoughtful review.

You obviously did your homework & it seems like it’s paid off.

Always good to hear from a satisfied customer and the colour/finish/woodgrain on your Classic is beautiful and distinctive too.

I also was skeptical about the G-Force system, but I’m still using mine 16 months following purchase. No problems so far. If you follow the instructions, string changes area a breeze; being fast and easy.

Enjoy your new LP :)

PS

If you don’t mind me saying so, try do resist lowering the action so far as to get fret buzz. It does spoil the sound.

Thanks man, I sure don't mind you mentioning that, I would love to avoid fret buzz as well, but as much as I was tweaking and adjusting bridge/truss rod, I couldn't get reasonably lower than standard action on my Epi guitars, without fret buzz. It's not so bad, especially not over the amp, but it is annoying and for sure damaging overall sound of the guitar.

I might try to lower a bit action on my new Classic, but with zero fret nut I think that will be much easier to achieve...

And one update, as I played this morning, G string was going out of tune few times in a row after the bends. I hope it's just the string stretching still and not G-force issue, because I do like the thing and what it does... But if it will annoy me I'll put Rotomatics in a blink and install G-force on Epi Goth [smile] ...

That. Is nice.

I don't have a green guitar and with a few changes that could fit the bill. I will look for them thanks to you!

Good luck with it, play it a long time in good health.

rct

Dude, that's a beauty!! How you liking the fancy electrics? All easy to use and work? Are you getting smooth volume change between 1-10?

Nothing bad to say about it, at the moment I use Dip 3,4,5 on.

Highs are available at lower volume as supposed (3,4 on) the transient thing I cannot judge at the moment, need to test it with my AxeFx...

What I can judge is the Tuning system, that is a great quick "gadget" I didn't know that I missed before Lol, Works really good ...

Nothing bad to say about it, at the moment I use Dip 3,4,5 on.

Highs are available at lower volume as supposed (3,4 on) the transient thing I cannot judge at the moment, need to test it with my AxeFx...

What I can judge is the Tuning system, that is a great quick "gadget" I didn't know that I missed before Lol, Works really good ...

Firstly, congratulations on your purchase you have chosen well.

It appears Gibson has fixed the issues with the G-Force Tune tuners, because when I read some user reviews on the 2015 HP Gibsons that came with the G-ForceTuners, some people swore by them, but others swore at them.

• 2 weeks later...

First Gibson guitar, first post in the forum! [thumbup]

Seems green is really popular these days.

Got it from Thomann, yours are more flamed, this one is flat top but I love how you can see the normal wood patterns on it and how the staining is not uniform because of it!

post-83868-058630000 1486625627_thumb.jpg

Congratulations on your purchase. It is a cool looking guitar and I'm glad you like it! That Ocean Burst color is pretty cool. I still cannot stand those G-Force tuners and will not own a guitar with crap like that on it. I feel they are jamming those monstrosities down our throats and add insult to injury by charging us more for them. I am in the market for my first Les Paul and am considering either a Standard, Traditional or the Classic model. The problem is every one I find that I like and has the features (pickguard for instance) I want they seem to have the G-Force tuners installed. That is a deal killer for me. I will keep my guitar in tune myself, thank you very much!

Congratulations on your purchase. It is a cool looking guitar and I'm glad you like it! That Ocean Burst color is pretty cool. I still cannot stand those G-Force tuners and will not own a guitar with crap like that on it. I feel they are jamming those monstrosities down our throats and add insult to injury by charging us more for them. I am in the market for my first Les Paul and am considering either a Standard, Traditional or the Classic model. The problem is every one I find that I like and has the features (pickguard for instance) I want they seem to have the G-Force tuners installed. That is a deal killer for me. I will keep my guitar in tune myself, thank you very much!

It's 2017 now, what you describe was a problem in 2015.

Now you can choose between two different lines.

There is High Performance (HP) wich is with all modern monstrosities that you dislike, and Traditional (T) wich is like the name suggests a Gibson with taditional specs.

And good news for you, the T models cost less than their HP counterparts.

Guest Farnsbarns

HP models have them. T models don't. Just buy based on your preference. You can also remove them or tune manually using them. It's not like they shat on your lap or anything.

Archived