Gibson Brands Forums

I confess.......

Buc McMaster

Received the Schertler Yellow preamp this morning.......hurrah! I borrowed a small Fender acoustic amp from the store and have set about dialing in the new gizmo with the DYN-G pickup. Found a good neutral spot on the top for the pickup mount and just plugged straight into the amp it sounds quite good (phantom power available from the amp). The Yellow is laid out nicely with very good controls that are proving to be very sensitive to adjustment.......a little goes a long way. The resonance control is really nice, eliminating that low body rumble and woof that can be annoying. Time to give the ears a rest for a time, then return with a fresh perspective. I think this is going to work out very well...........

IMG_1861_zpssllw18yq.jpg

UPDATE:

The initial run at dialing the preamp was good.........got a very natural reproduction of the Hummingbirds' sound with not much dial twisting. However, there was another factor involved: an O-Port, which I dropped in the guitar earlier this week as an experiment. Pretty much invisible, it does make an audible change in the sound, much like I heard in a previous test of the same: compression. The acoustic, unamplified tone is smoothed overall and very well balanced. The thing I did not know is how well the thing controls feedback. After dialing the instrument with the O-Port, i removed it and hooked back up. Wow. An entirely different sound from the previous settings of the preamp with a tendency to get that acoustic howl we all know and love. With the O-Port there was not a hint of feedback. Hmmm. Perhaps for live, amplified performance the O-Port is the way to go.........got an excellent tone and zero feedback.

The experimenting continues............

interesting stuff Mr Buc...

Let us know how it works in the LIVE sitch!

in terms of being a gear head, I confess, I am as well, I should share some photos of the collection of crap I've amassed over the years...

I'm sometimes ashamed of myself.. (not often mind you but sometimes..)

Received the Schertler Yellow preamp this morning.......hurrah! I borrowed a small Fender acoustic amp from the store and have set about dialing in the new gizmo with the DYN-G pickup. Found a good neutral spot on the top for the pickup mount and just plugged straight into the amp it sounds quite good (phantom power available from the amp). The Yellow is laid out nicely with very good controls that are proving to be very sensitive to adjustment.......a little goes a long way. The resonance control is really nice, eliminating that low body rumble and woof that can be annoying. Time to give the ears a rest for a time, then return with a fresh perspective. I think this is going to work out very well...........

IMG_1861_zpssllw18yq.jpg

ohhh just wait till you mic one up, and have a great mic, and mic pre.....a dab of compression, a bit of eq, it will have a man selling his own kids, wife and house........

I was hoping they would not approve a payment plan, no such luck.....I have a problem.

Archived