Gibson Brands Forums

New Ultra Modern Weight Relief

Rabs

The length of tenon has never been germane to me either. I'm merely incorrigibly curious about, and fascinated by, minutiae.

As evidence I summon post #12 to bear witness. Is that the product of a "sound mind"?

I rest my case. And, rct, it's a NICE case....

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

It is! Curiosity is great. I only use my signature wisdom "Minutiae Kills" when such details are paining a purchaser greatly:

"I've heard the first 7 months of 1998 were when the longest tenons were used. Can anyone confirm?".

rct

On another minor point; which MWR'd LPs have a long neck-tenon?

eusa_think.gif

P.

The two MWR'd LPs of mine have long neck tenons. It took me a while to reply because I made sure beforehand for my Standard Quilt K, a 2011 limited model stamped 27 October 2011. I never looked into her pickup cavities before. She predates my regular 2012 model year Standard Plus.

The 2012 model Standards were the first regular production LPs featuring MWR and long tenon. Mine was stamped on 2 April 2012, and I still don't know if her fretboard is solid or laminated. :-k

... But it's not the short tenon that is notable; it's the LONG tenon which seems (to me) out of place.

Hence my query in post #6...

Can anyone remember a recent USA-line LP with a long tenon?

Pip.

Can't say for models from 2013 on.

The length of tenon has never been germane to me either. I'm merely incorrigibly curious about, and fascinated by, minutiae.

As evidence I summon post #12 to bear witness. I ask you; is that the product of a "sound mind"?

I rest my case. And, rct, it's a NICE case....

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

Now you can take it to rest at least for early MWR Gibson - USA, of course - LPs. By the way, the two of mine came including VERY NICE cases made in Canada. [biggrin]

How are you supposed to know which weight relief you have unless you take an x-ray. Can anyone tell me what weight relief version I have on my 2007 Classic Antique guitar of the week #2? Just curious.

2007 is the first year they started chambering so you have the chambered body, first example you see in the original post. I have the same chambered body as well on my 2007 LP Classic. I like it very much, light weight, well balanced and sounds great!

Guest Farnsbarns

i don't believe it affects the sound at all. because i know that a guitar pick up is not a microphone.

Yet they are all microphonic to some degree and they are attached to the wood, which vibrates, and therefore the pickup's vibrate relative to the strings while the strings also vibrate, independently, relative to the pickups.

That said, I do not believe weight relief makes a perceivable difference, while I do believe chambering does.

i don't believe it affects the sound at all. because i know that a guitar pick up is not a microphone.

I don't believe Weight Relief makes any difference to the end-tone but a chambered guitar might be a different matter. If the near-hollow-bodied construction means there might be a change in the character of how the strings vibrate then there might be a different 'signal' generated to be picked up by the p'ups. After all; a chambered LP is sort-of similar to the ES335-style in construction - and everyone thinks a LP sounds different from an ES335...

But as I've said earlier; I don't have a chambered LP so cannot offer an informed opinion.

Pip.

EDIT : I see Farns was typing much the same thing and at much the same time as myself...

"Great Minds Think Alike & Fools Seldom Differ"...

That said, I do not believe weight relief makes a perceivable difference, while I do believe chambering does.

I also believe chambering does, and for several months now I've suspected that weight relief does too, but to a much lesser extent. After all, a series of small chambers is how some weight relief is achieved.

I would say that pickups aside, neck material has the biggest impact on the sound between my non weight relieved Traditional and my traditional weight relieved LPJ.

I think the density and resulting hard- or softness of the neck timber may have a direct influence over the strings vibration. The 13 LPJ's came with maple neck.

Have no experience with chambered bodys myself but I could imagine that it does affect the vibrations to some degree.

I would say that pickups aside, neck material has the biggest impact on the sound...

It has long been my opinion, formed after playing many dozens of Les Pauls, that the neck timber is the primary determining factor of how well one example will resonate/perform in comparison to another and will dictate and shape the end-tone to a large extent.

I don't know about other guitars - such as those with bolt-on necks, for example - but as far as the LP is concerned? Yup.

Pip.

2007 is the first year they started chambering so you have the chambered body, first example you see in the original post. I have the same chambered body as well on my 2007 LP Classic. I like it very much, light weight, well balanced and sounds great!

Thanks Dave. That's what I suspected.

After all; a chambered LP is sort-of similar to the ES335-style in construction - and everyone thinks a LP sounds different from an ES335...

i am physically similar to usain bolt. we are both human, and share many of the same physical features, as meat machines go. however, i am not capable of being as athletic as he is. he, otoh, is not capable of being a well rounded sheetmetal worker with 30+ yrs of experience.

looking at us side-by-side, no one would expect us to have similar performance, even though we both have arms and legs, and all of our internal organs are in the same relative place.

a chambered LP is only similar to a 335 in the same way i am similar to usain bolt.

also, for the guy who said all pick ups are somewhat microphonic. so what? a proper functioning pick up does not behave as a microphone does. it is not intended to operate in the way that a microphone does. even microphonic pic ups do not function in the way that a microphone does. a pick up that functions as intended does not work the way a microphone does, so the sound will not act in the same way. a pick up is basically a tool that interprets string vibration in such a way as to allow an amplifier to translate the information it provides into a different type of vibration more accessible to the human ear.

avoiding the tonewood debate, by talking about vibrational transfer it should be noted that there is not a single shred of evidence produced by anyone so far to suggest that a weight relived guitar body is any less rigid than a solid one. we've all seen the videos of the cardboard strat, and the shovel guitar.

lastly, and most importantly of all, is the below pic, posted as proof of what i say

y+batman+motivator.jpg

i am physically similar to usain bolt. we are both human, and share many of the same physical features, as meat machines go. however, i am not capable of being as athletic as he is. he, otoh, is not capable of being a well rounded sheetmetal worker with 30+ yrs of experience...

With respect, kuma, I disagree with the general thrust of your assessment of your relative abilities.

If, as you say, you have a similar frame to Usain Bolt and had you trained in the same manner as Usain Bolt what makes you think you could not be as capable an athlete as he?

Similarly, if Usain Bolt had trained, as you have done, in the metalworking trade for 30 years what makes you think he couldn't work to a similar high level in your industry?

OK; perhaps you would never be quite as fast as he and, who knows?, perhaps he could never be quite as skilled in metalworking as you are but by and large we get to be good at what we do through our choices - not by divine intervention. I'm a snapper. I'm good at my job. If I had become a graphic designer - as I was going to be - I would have been good at my job. If I had chosen to become a professional guitarist I dare say I would have been good at my job. At school I was a sprinter - 100m, 110m hurdles and 200m - and, whilst not the best(*), I was still good because for years I trained hard and focussed on my running.

We are what we make of ourselves.

But I digress...

Pip.

(*) In my final year I was runner-up in all three disciplines. To the same person. Which was mildly irritating...

oh i mean similar in terms of having arms and legs in a human configuration. aside from that, the similarities are stuff like we both have skin and hair, etc.

i actually did run track in jr high, and did well considering my build is more for digging ditches.

could bolt learn sheetmetal? probably. it's not rocket surgery after all. but i doubt he could learn all the cool flippy tricks i can do with my hammer. hahahahaha [flapper]

• 1 month later...

Which weight relief would my 2017 Les Paul Standard T have?

Its one of the first points at the top of Gibsons official page on them

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/USA/Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

Mahogany body with Ultra-Modern weight relief: Ultra Modern Weight Relief is Gibson USA's new technique for a lighter guitar with enhanced resonance and sustain

Its one of the first points at the top of Gibsons official page on them

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/USA/Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

Mahogany body with Ultra-Modern weight relief: Ultra Modern Weight Relief is Gibson USA's new technique for a lighter guitar with enhanced resonance and sustain

Thank you. Reading it now.

Archived