Gibson Brands Forums

New Ultra Modern Weight Relief

Rabs

A few of the chambers are slightly enlarged - mainly those on the lower bass-bout - and the rout to the p'up selector might be slightly wider.

That's about all I can spot.

I wonder why they bothered to change it for what appears to be such a (seemingly) insignificant difference...........eusa_think.gif

Pip.

There are two extra small hole's one above the bridge pickup area and one below the neck pickup. I can't see them making much difference to the weight...

eusa_think.gif

On the "Modern Weight Relief" body top-right? The ones for the pickups' adjustment screws?

There are also holes & routs for the stop-bar, p'ups & earthing wires.

I could be wrong but I think Rabs is talking about the differences between that body and the blank in the big snap (under the pic with three blanks) - which isn't finished to the same degree as the three in the top pic - hence the omissions noted above.

On another minor point; which MWR'd LPs have a long neck-tenon (as seen in the snap above)?

eusa_think.gif

P.

Do you pay more for the ones with less wood [confused]

No; you pay more for the ones with the most wood because they are the Re-Issues and are made with solid, lighter, more expensive to source body blanks......msp_smile.gif

All kidding aside they might be more expensive because more wood removed = more work / another stage in the manufacturing process = more time spent making the guitar = more money spent making the guitar = more expensive guitar.

Possibly...

Pip.

Interesting. The chambered one looks like a candidate for 3D printing in future years - would save a lot of material waste - or they could use the routed wood chip to make cheaper models with 3DP I suppose. I do like the idea of taking out all that excess weight though (personally).

Guest Farnsbarns

A few of the chambers are slightly enlarged - mainly those on the lower bass-bout - and the rout to the p'up selector might be slightly wider.

That's about all I can spot.

I wonder why they bothered to change it for what appears to be such a (seemingly) insignificant difference...........eusa_think.gif

Pip.

It would be interesting to see two head on shots. I'm not convinced I can see any difference.

It would be interesting to see two head on shots. I'm not convinced I can see any difference.

I've had a bit of a play.

Have a look at the areas with the red dots and also the relative positions of the red lines against the 'V' of the lower strap-pin wood.

I also think I notice a thinning of the 'spokes' but, of course, without seeing and handling the real thing - which is not going to happen - all bets are off!...

Modern%20WR%20%20Ultra-MWR._zpslj2wayqy.jpg

Pip.

Anyone else notice that acoustic volume is louder with weight relief?

I ask in case it's just coincidental on my guitars.

My 'Swiss-Cheesed' are not louder than my solid-bodied. In actual fact the R0 projects the most unplugged. It has 'more tone', as Farns would say(*).

Chambered are possibly a different story but as I don't have one I can't offer a definite, informed personal opinion on that score.

Pip.

* Actually not only would he NOT say it; he would thump me if I said it...........msp_laugh.gif

The only differences I see are the neck tenon, and the little routes for the pickups and stopbar studs...

Well, the routs are merely yet to be machined on the newer blank but it was the long tenon that I thought to be odd - which is why I raised the question about which Modern Weight-Relieved LPs had a long neck-tenon earlier-on (post#6). AFAIK only the R-I's (and possibly the Traditionals - but I really can't remember) have a long tenon but none of these feature MWR.

Very strange...

Pip.

EDIT : Gibson's own phrase to describe the U-MWR is;

"Ultra Modern Weight Relief is Gibson USA's new technique for a lighter guitar with enhanced resonance and sustain..."

A "new technique"? So perhaps it's just a new machine-tool with/or a slightly different cutting program?

eusa_think.gif

Guest Farnsbarns

I've had a bit of a play.

Have a look at the areas with the red dots and also the relative positions of the red lines against the 'V' of the lower strap-pin wood.

I also think I notice a thinning of the 'spokes' but, of course, without seeing and handling the real thing - which is not going to happen - all bets are off!...

Modern%20WR%20%20Ultra-MWR._zpslj2wayqy.jpg

Pip.

:-k I think you're right.

Dub also has a point. That is a short tennon.

...weight relief...Can anyone tell?...

No.

Oh, hold-on; Possibly Clark Kent.

...Dub also has a point. That is a short tenon.

Agreed, Farns. But it's not the short tenon that is notable; it's the LONG tenon which seems (to me) out of place.

Hence my query in post #6...

Can anyone remember a recent USA-line LP with a long tenon?

Pip.

Can anyone remember a recent USA-line LP with a long tenon?

The length of tenon has never been germane to me, so no. I don't know one tenon from the next, my entire life of guitars.

rct

The length of tenon has never been germane to me...

The length of tenon has never been germane to me either. I'm merely incorrigibly curious about, and fascinated by, minutiae.

As evidence I summon post #12 to bear witness. I ask you; is that the product of a "sound mind"?

I rest my case. And, rct, it's a NICE case....

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

Archived