Gibson Brands Forums

Pre 2016 Vintage Hummingbird

JuanCH

I don't think the "Vintage" - i.e. cooked top came before 2016. If some were made technically in late 2015 - perhaps possible.... but I think the pricing should conform to about this, independent on whether the Vintage was made in 2015 or 16.

The non-Hummingbird Vintage model (i.e. sans cooked top) was priced at $3199 MAP, and the Hummingbird Vintage model (with cooked top) was priced at $4249 at the time I bought my Vintage. For what its worth, my guestimate for what you could negotiate as the actual pre-tax price for each of these models is substantially less. I want to say about $2300 for a Hummingbird Standard, and $3300 for the Vintage... depending on the shop of course - some more some less.

I know there are pre 2016 vintage, question is if pre 2016 models are top cured!! Thanks!

Yes, there are 2015 Hummingbird Vintage models out there, if that is your question.

Good day to you, too. Happy hunting.

Juanch, This model, like many other Gibsons, has continually evolved over time. In recent history, in the late 1990s, there was only a 'standard' described simply as a Hummingbird. In the early 2000s, an upgraded version - the True Vintage was added as a close copy of the mid-60s birds, down to not having electronics. Later, maybe around the early 2010s - a different model - the Vintage replaced the TV. I believe it's primarily difference was an Adirondack face instead of Sitka. A few years later, the terrified top technology was rolled out to include this model. As ThemiSal stated - this was probably early 2016. They may have called them "New Vintage", I lost track.

Changes don't occur regularly, or at the beginning of a calendar year or 'model year'. Bozeman is very informal. . The real H'Birds are all good, just don't pay an upgraded price for a standard. The Labels inside tell you the actual model name. And, finally - there is a model named The Hummingbird Pro which bears no resemblance to an actual Hummingbird.

This is all off the top of my head. Other members here are much more knowledgeable about the evolution of the H'Bird.

Hi Juan,

Fortyearspickn pretty much summed up the story.

Let me add some clarifications though :

- In the 90’s and 2000’s there was just the Hummingbird, wich is pretty much the same as the current « Standard Hummingbird ».

- In the mid 2000’s, Gibson made some very limited runs of reissues like the « 1960s Hummingbird Reissue » with Tulip tuners, lighter back braces and engraved red pickguard (no adjustable bridge, no pickup).

- In 2007 they launched the True Vintage Line besides the Modern-Classic or Standard Line. The TV is basically the same guitar as the previous reissue but with a cali-girl case (brown-pink), lighter orangish sunburst, black-white-black rosette ring and binding.

- In 2009 they dressed up the True Vintage with a reddish sunburst, white-black-white rosette ring and a VOS finish which emulates an aged patina. (at the same time, they made custom editions for Wildwood Guitars, called « New Vintage » which only differs by aged bone nut and saddle, white-black-white trim binding, and shinny gloss finish)

- The True Vintage line ended in late 2012, coming back every now and then as limited custom shop runs.

- In late 2015 they started the « 2016 Hummingbird Vintage » as a standard production line. That one is basically the very same as the latest True Vintage but with the white-black-white trim on the top and back binding, aged tulip tuners, and most of all, the Torrified Top.

- Only Sitka spruce has been used on all True vintage or Vintage Hummingbirds. Some custom shop limited runs of Hummingbirds have Adirondack Spruce top but they’re not part of the TV or Vintage family.

Hope this helps.

Hi Juan,

Fortyearspickn pretty much summed up the story.

Let me add some clarifications though :

- In the 90’s and 2000’s there was just the Hummingbird, wich is pretty much the same as the current « Standard Hummingbird ».

- In the mid 2000’s, Gibson made some very limited runs of reissues like the « 1960s Hummingbird Reissue » with Tulip tuners, lighter back braces and engraved red pickguard (no adjustable bridge, no pickup).

- In 2007 they launched the True Vintage Line besides the Modern-Classic or Standard Line. The TV is basically the same guitar as the previous reissue but with a cali-girl case (brown-pink), lighter orangish sunburst, black-white-black rosette ring and binding.

- In 2009 they dressed up the True Vintage with a reddish sunburst, white-black-white rosette ring and a VOS finish which emulates an aged patina. (at the same time, they made custom editions for Wildwood Guitars, called « New Vintage » which only differs by aged bone nut and saddle, white-black-white trim binding, and shinny gloss finish)

- The True Vintage line ended in late 2012, coming back every now and then as limited custom shop runs.

- In late 2015 they started the « 2016 Hummingbird Vintage » as a standard production line. That one is basically the very same as the latest True Vintage but with the white-black-white trim on the top and back binding, aged tulip tuners, and most of all, the Torrified Top.

- Only Sitka spruce has been used on all True vintage or Vintage Hummingbirds. Some custom shop limited runs of Hummingbirds have Adirondack Spruce top but they’re not part of the TV or Vintage family.

Hope this helps.

So I have been trying to figure out why a 2013 TV has a custom shop label -- is it because the TV was discontinued in 2012 and only produced in limited custom runs?

This thread is a perfect example of the confusion created by Gibson producing multiple variations of the same guitar. While the Hummingbird does not bear the same cross of the dozens of J-45 iterations, it does not take much to have the guitar playing public scratching their heads.

To the OP, a $2500 "vintage" Hummingbird is not likely what Gibson is now calling the "Hummingbird Vintage" with the torrified top. Maybe, but not likely. Check the label.

I do love my Gibson guitars but sheesh.........

- In the mid 2000's, Gibson made some very limited runs of reissues like the « 1960s Hummingbird Reissue » with Tulip tuners, lighter back braces and engraved red pickguard (no adjustable bridge, no pickup).

- In 2009 they dressed up the True Vintage with a reddish sunburst, white-black-white rosette ring and a VOS finish which emulates an aged patina. (at the same time, they made custom editions for Wildwood Guitars, called « New Vintage » which only differs by aged bone nut and saddle, white-black-white trim binding, and shinny gloss finish)

- In late 2015 they started the « 2016 Hummingbird Vintage » as a standard production line. That one is basically the very same as the latest True Vintage but with the white-black-white trim on the top and back binding, aged tulip tuners, and most of all, the Torrified Top.

Hi father of p. ! , , , long time no see.

And only natural to find you re-emerging in a thread concerning , , , of course Hummingbirds

(remember when we private-mailed about nectar and glaze for days - sure took the veil off that honey-jar back then).

Apart from that - are you sure the 2007 line had the b/w/b rosette.

If your talking the 167 series, they definitely had the traditional w/b/w version. And besides a brown canvas-covered black case with dandelion-yellow plush.

B/w/b are for Standards, , , plus my own hyper-rare exception - the April 2012 TV (the other as you might recall is from May).

And yes, you're right, there were a few 2015 Vintage Birds with burned top and relic'd tulips.

What only few know here is that I had one home for several days in the fall and enjoyed it a lot. Not enough to let go of my TV's though. They are both magnificent guitars and I have that extra hazy fast responding vintage flavour in the real oldies here and there.

Do correct if I'm wrong about the '07-rosette - or some 07-rosettes.

And welcome back to the voliere.

Hope most of everything is OK

Hi father ! , , , long time time no see.

And only natural to find you re-emerging in a thread concerning , , , of course Hummingbirds

(remember when we private-mailed about nectar and glaze for days - sure took the veil off that honey-jar back then).

Apart from that - are you sure the 2007 line had the b/w/b rosette.

If your talking the 167 series, they definitely had the traditional w/b/w version. And besides a brown canvas-covered black case with dandelion-yellow plush.

B/w/b are for Standards, , , plus my own hyper-rare exception - the April 2012 TV (the other as you might recall is from May).

And yes, you're right, there were a few 2015 Vintage Birds with burned top and relic'd tulips.

What only few know here, I had one home for several days in the fall and enjoyed it a lot. Not enough to let go of my TV's though. They are both magnificent guitars and I have that extra hazy fast responding vintage flavour in the real oldies here and there.

Do correct if I'm wrong about the '07-rosette - or some 07-rosettes.

And welcome back to the voliere.

Hope most of everything is OK

Hi Em7 !

I have to admit that all the great video performances posted by Buc McMaster and ThemisSal with their HB Vintage brought me back to the voliere !

(and you have to know that a while ago, I was lucky enough to buy back the october 2012 HB TV I foolishely sold ).

You’re correct Sir, well to a certain extent [wink]  :

- The 2007 to 2009 regular TV had the orange burst and the B-W-B rosette, cali-girl case ( I used to own one of those, a january 2008 with wonderful Madagascar fingerboard and bridge)

pictures found on google :

gibson-hummingbird-true-vintage-heritage-cherry-sunburst-1089646_zpsfrpha0nb.jpg

- The very limited run of 167 pieces Hummingbird TV, called « Hummingbird VOS », made in 2008 had indeed the dark red burst, W-B-W rosette and the black case with yellow interior. I remember you had one of those, Em7. And your April 2012 TV is an oddity, a monday morning work at the Bozeman plant [rolleyes]

HBTV%20VOS_zpshoiesple.jpg

You're correct Sir, well to a certain extent [wink] :

- The 2007 to 2009 regular TV had the orange burst and the B-W-B rosette, cali-girl case ( I used to own one of those, a january 2008 with wonderful Madagascar fingerboard and bridge)

- The very limited run of 167 pieces Hummingbird TV, called « Hummingbird VOS », made in 2008 had indeed the dark red burst, W-B-W rosette and the black case with yellow interior. I remember you had one of those, Em7. And your April 2012 TV is an oddity, a monday morning work at the Bozeman plant [rolleyes]

Guess I stand corrected, , or better informed.

I trust your insight enough to believe the one in the picture isn't a cross-over from the Standard-section, which I think is the case with my April 12'er (rosette-wise).

That particular Bird is something special - never heard such strong version of a square hog, and have to tell you the wildlife was peeled off last fall.

Made the creature even more direct and exceptional. And now it's beginning to loosen up by own nature as well.

Oooh, that one from the 167-batch is stunningly good looking and yes, I owned one of those.T'was my first Bird and a part of my 1500-days A/B/C/D, , , /E.

Seems you are in the game for a burned Bird. Not hard to understand - they are tempting like flying candy.

The one I had home, however, had less bass-sustain than my 12 TV's. Still a really fine ex.

Enjoy the hunt and keep us informed.

Seems you are in the game for a burned Bird. Not hard to understand - they are tempting like flying candy.

The one I had home, however, had less bass-sustain than my 12 TV's. Still a really fine ex.

Enjoy the hunt and keep us informed.

Now that I have my October 2012 HB TV back, I'm sticking with it [thumbup]

I got to play a Hummingbird Vintage last year and while it was a wonderful looking and sounding guitar, I much prefer my True Vintage. I found the Vintage to sound brighter, stronger, throatier, and I can understand people like Buc thinking they could be happy with that one and only guitar since it's more an allrounder. My HB TV is looser, smoother with more of that honey glaze that I found on a 1961 actual vintage Hummingbird.

Could talk about Hummingbirds for hours and hours...

as stated above, The True Vintage Bird was discontinued in 2012 and reappeared in late 2013 as a limited run with custom shop label, it also says custom shop on the orange label inside. But the custom shop label is just a little marketing joke from gibson to designate the limited runs.

You'll be getting a pretty nice light built and therefore resonant guitar, enjoy

I love mine, here it is,

Bird2017-2_zpskcq4sucy.jpg

Bird2017_zpsnekpqdk3.jpg

as stated above, The True Vintage Bird was discontinued in 2012 and reappeared in late 2013 as a limited run with custom shop label, it also says custom shop on the orange label inside. But the custom shop label is just a little marketing joke from gibson to designate the limited runs.

You'll be getting a pretty nice light built and therefore resonant guitar, enjoy

I love mine, here it is,

Bird2017-2_zpskcq4sucy.jpg

Bird2017_zpsnekpqdk3.jpg

Really getting excited now! Yours looks just like the pictures I have seen of mine (which was built in Nov. of 2013 according to serial number).

It is interesting what you say about the "Custom Shop" label -- that the instrument is a limited production run but not actually built in the custom shop per se.... It clears up where I was confused.... Thank you

yeah I think there is no real custom shop in Montana, others here on the board sure can tell you more.

Mine was build in december 2013, I'm not sure, but me thinks it was a limited run of 50 instruments, which doesn't mean that much also, since 2014 and 2015 also had their limited runs of tv birds.

Whatsoever, as I said, a great guitar no matter the label nonsense, please let us know how you like yours.

yeah I think there is no real custom shop in Montana, others here on the board sure can tell you more.

Mine was build in december 2013, I'm not sure, but me thinks it was a limited run of 50 instruments, which doesn't mean that much also, since 2014 and 2015 also had their limited runs of tv birds.

Whatsoever, as I said, a great guitar no matter the label nonsense, please let us know how you like yours.

I just did a little "math," and mine was built the 326th day of 2013 -- which makes it Nov. 21st.... So it is definitely about as close to yours as could be, which points toward a "limited run."

I just did a little "math," and mine was built the 326th day of 2013 -- which makes it Nov. 21st.... So it is definitely about as close to yours as could be, which points toward a "limited run."

checked mine again, it was made on 5th of Dec., seems like a lot of folks want to get rid of their TV models since the baked top models appeared, never saw so many j-45 tv for sale. Gibsons marketing hype seems to work.

Whatever, hope you like yours!

Archived