Gibson Brands Forums

Replacement COA for 57' goldtop custom shop 2003 reissue.

Jamhard

Looking for info on how to get a replacement certificate for my 2003 57' custom shop gold top. Was bought from new by myself in 03 at guitar centre and I read on lespaulforum that gibson can reissue a certificate if I post on here...?

Any help would be appreciated :)

J

Guest Farnsbarns

Gibson have stated in the past they will not reissue COAs. I think they used to but even then they would insist the guitar was sent to them.

I'm not even sure if they had COAs in 2003. Someone will come along with the answer on that soon enough.

Looking for info on how to get a replacement certificate for my 2003 57' custom shop gold top. Was bought from new by myself in 03 at guitar centre and I read on lespaulforum that gibson can reissue a certificate if I post on here...?

Any help would be appreciated :)

J

Certificates are not reissued. You will have to contact Guitar Center to see if they have found the original certificate.

Certificates are not reissued. You will have to contact Guitar Center to see if they have found the original certificate.

as always, Dan is a wealth of true and accurate info. I've owned Historics since 2001. I had read posts that Gibson used to send owners new Certs., but I never knew of anyone actually getting one.

As Dan/CR9 stated, Gibson doesn't issue them anymore and hasn't for years. Guys were able to photoshop/print/create Certs, so the whole idea of the original orange Certs for R6/7/8's that started in early-mid 2001

(and somewhat sporadically, at that....R9's had the white paper w/brown/gold lettering a few years before that) was eventually dropped in favor of the black and now currently brown "booklet" type Cert.

As for Guitar Center having it....forget it...I remember going to GC in 2002 or 2003 and they had some Lifton Cases. In the cases were certs for guitars they had sold. I wish I knew they were important...the salesman told me, " nah we don't keep 'em"

and proceeded to grab both from the cases I was looking at and tore them up and tossed them in the garbage. One I definitely recall being a Cert for a Murphy R9......the other an orange cert.

To me and most knowledgable Historic buyers could care less about the Cert. There are many more ( and much more important) ways or "certifying" that the guitar is in fact a Gibson Historic reissue/Custom Shop etc.

Gibson Customer Service ( usually) will help you out if you provide the serial number and description, that the number matches the type of guitar you have.

• 8 months later...

As for Guitar Center having it....forget it...I remember going to GC in 2002 or 2003 and they had some Lifton Cases. In the cases were certs for guitars they had sold. I wish I knew they were important...the salesman told me, " nah we don't keep 'em"

and proceeded to grab both from the cases I was looking at and tore them up and tossed them in the garbage.

Yeah. I remember about in 2009 when I was with my buddy Ed and he bought an R7 from GC in Glen Burnie Maryland, it came with a COA. ( I now own that guitar) When we got back to his house we noticed that it was a COA for a guitar with a different Serial Number. I don't remember if he ever bothered to try and get the correct one or not. I know that I don't have any COA for it. eusa_think.gif

Archived