Gibson Brands Forums

Unexpected NGD: AJ 12 fret goodness (PIC added)

Old Neil

I posted a while back about buying a new Hummingbird Vintage and posted the pic below from the store where I was weighing it up against a great 12 fret AJ.

It was a difficult choice because they have completely different strengths and personalities. I chose the Hummingbird (very happy with it) but the AJ haunted me anyway.

When I left the 'bird in for a setup I went to play the AJ and they told me it had been sold. I duly rationalised it away and wished the new owner years of enjoyment even if I knew I probably wouldn't get to see or play another anytime soon, if ever again. At least I got to play and enjoy it at all for a short while.

My wife was with me when I went to the store for that final playoff when I chose the Hummingbird. She loved the moody, dark rumble of the AJ too.

Anyway, I got home last night and went to get a jacket out of the closet there was a guitar case there. At first I thought it was one of my other guitars just moved out of the way for some reason but when I turned around to ask my wife if she had put it there she was standing behind me smiling. It took a while to sunk in what she had done.

As it says on the inside of my wedding ring: "She's a keeper" :-)

IMG_0242.jpg

Sweet. My wife got me a 000-EC for our wedding. Since then, expanding has been ... slowed. My childhood guitarist friend and I've discussed the symmetry of our 'collection' situations. I believe Lynn (Second Chance - CD) didn't get much resistance 'til the double-didgit mark, perhaps 12 instruments. My resistence was much quicker to materialize. Funny how that goes ...

Congratulations! I have the Southern Jumbo 12 fret, I love it.

My wife got me a Hummingbird standard for Christmas this year and a D-18 last Christmas. She said she is done buying me guitars. She said that last year though. Lol!

That's about as pretty a pair as one could hope for. I have just one word of advice....reciprocity.

Thanks everyone for your kind wishes. My wife read this thread too and laughed at some of the comments. I think she secretly feels flattered though…:-)

Yes, Mountainpicker, wise words. She does indeed gets lots of love and attention. We look after each other. Here's a pic of the happy girl from a spa cruise trip to Tallinn (Estonia) I took her on this summer, so yes, understood. :-)

a006e1a8-ab8c-4af6-94ee-9f028e3553cd.jpg

father of pearl: The AJ has a slightly 'V' shaped contour to the neck and becomes thicker quite fast - but it's no baseball bat, still a modern neck. The Hummingbird Vintage is more C-ish withthose new rounded edges falling away from the fretboard.

The AJ feels like an OM but sporty and aggressive. It doesn't feel like slope shoulder dread - probably the shorter neck creates that illusion. The fretboard feels like its 1.75 and short scale but the specs say 1.725 and long scale. Go figure.

....Here's a pic of the happy girl from a spa cruise trip to Tallinn (Estonia) I took her on this summer....

Well, "Old" Neil, I believe you've gotten mixed up and inserted a photo of your daughter in there. Nevertheless, major congrats to your entire family!

Archived