Gibson Brands Forums

Out of production Bird's anyone???

Trans

Thanks slimt, maybe it's just one of those one in a mill produced nobody wants to know about? [crying]

Simple as it is, no special bling appointments just the plain jane appeal but, the sound is where it's at here. Will post a few sound clips. Btw? Soundcloud any good?

Reminds of the Collings # 2 Burst they have out at the moment.

The picture has too much reflections I should give it a proper shoot so the burst can show more or at least the finish.

Peace!

Thanks slimt, maybe it's just one of those one in a mill produced nobody wants to know about? [crying]

Simple as it is, no special bling appointments just the plain jane appeal but, the sound is where it's at here. Will post a few sound clips. Btw? Soundcloud any good?

The picture has too much reflections I should give it a proper shoot so the burst can show more or at least the finish.

Peace!

acutally you probably got one of the most Popular Gibson here.. the Hummingbird is a fine guitar.. and versatile in many settings..

Well there it is, I did have a mid 70's Cherry Sunburst Hummingbird that got nicked in the early 80's and that's where it stopped until just a couple of months ago I went on a splurge G.A.S. for a Gibson acoustic this time around and came across these two.

All in a month! Dunno! why but I did anyways. Not like I don't have any other acoustic but, it's just that moment and feeling I had for Gibson acoustic this time around. [scared]

Ya but your new one is better than any 70s gibson acoustic.

I was going through it sifting info's and reviews here and there and for some reason I have come across it somewhat true?

What is your take here slimt?

Peace!

I was going through it sifting info's and reviews here and there and for some reason I have come across it somewhat true?

What is your take here slimt?

Peace!

to me 70s birds were volute headstocks, some had maple necks.. Double x braced made them tone deaf..

from what Ive experianced in the 90s up birds.they have been consistant maybe the odd one slipped through a dud.. But not many.. I do think for the most part is how they are takin care of that makes them all last really good..

to me 70s birds were volute headstocks, some had maple necks.. Double x braced made them tone deaf..

from what Ive experianced in the 90s up birds.they have been consistant maybe the odd one slipped through a dud.. But not many.. I do think for the most part is how they are takin care of that makes them all last really good..

Just goes to show how long I've been away from the Gibson acoustics, unlike the know I have with Les Paul's hehe!

Need to get back in the saddle here now.

Thanks brother, my honeymoon period ain't yet over. Been switching to J-35 and the Martin back and forth for about a week now....slow strumming/arpeggio of the tune "Dancing In The Dark" ahahahaha!

I just keep going back to this friggin bird, my 000-15S 12fret Slothead Martin is madly jealous now! [flapper]

I LUV IT !!!! My # 1 Gademm!! [biggrin]

Peace!

Peace!

Yes, really seems to be a one-off. Never seen anything like it and assume I speak for most of the people here.

The down-toned appearance is rather funky - even with no neck-bindings, but have to say this to me is a Southern Jumbo. In my eyes one of the coolest guitars on earth.

Another thing is the guard. Doesn't look like a CW guard and - if anything - is closer to an un-engraved Bird-guard. Strange too.

Do post better photos and sounds and let's get to know the creature. SCould should serve you like it serves the rest of us. Look forward to both ^

Peace for sure

Yes, really seems to be a one-off. Never seen anything like it and assume I speak for most of the people here.

The down-toned appearance is rather funky - even with no neck-bindings, but have to say this to me is a Southern Jumbo. In my eyes one of the coolest guitars on earth.

Another thing is the guard. Doesn't look like a CW guard and - if anything - is closer to an un-engraved Bird-guard. Strange too.

Do post better photos and sounds and let's get to know the creature. SCould should serve you like it serves the rest of us. Look forward to both ^

Peace for sure

Thank you for the positive take on this creature.

Still getting to know the baby, just can't get enough of playing.

The SJ appeal was my first foremost thought when I was frantically distinguishing it from the other Gibson models as of late and earlier ones offered.

The pictures will be better this time around along with a few sound clips. [thumbup]

. . . Another thing is the guard. Doesn't look like a CW guard and - if anything - is closer to an un-engraved Bird-guard. Strange too.

Is there something about the Country Western vs Hummingbird pickguard that is different, besides the artwork of Hartford Snyder?

Thanks for the clip, Trans.

One clearly hear the traditional virtues of the square-shouldered hog Gibson here. A fine separation and the tight trademark of these fliers.

I would like to get more bass - or you to give it a chance to show more bass next time.

You chime a lot in D and though you dive to G and E-minor some deep end is missed.

And ! , , , do listen listen in the cans to check that overtone. A high B which stays there for almost the whole recording.

If you are unsure of what I mean go from second half 2:22 and hear how it disappears at 2:55 for then to re-emerge at 3:11.

It's pretty sharp and comes across like a whistle or a consistent keyboard-note.

All in all I'll say let's hear another take when you feel like it - then we'll speak again.

Is there something about the Country Western vs Hummingbird pickguard that is different, besides the artwork of Hartford Snyder?

62burst - CW guards are and have always been remarkably thinner on CW's and SJ's.

This probably is a crucial part of the sonic differences between those and the Bird.

EA was the original thinker behind this theory - more and more tells me he was right.

https://i.ytimg.com/...xresdefault.jpg

E-minor7 on 16 January 2017 - 05:10 PM, said:

Thanks for the clip, Trans.

One clearly hear the traditional virtues of the square-shouldered hog Gibson here. A fine separation and the tight trademark of these fliers.

I would like to get more bass - or you to give it a chance to show more bass next time.

You chime a lot in D and though you dive to G and E-minor some deep end is missed.

And ! , , , do listen listen in the cans to check that overtone. A high B which stays there for almost the whole recording.

If you are unsure of what I mean go from second half 2:22 and hear how it disappears at 2:55 for then to re-emerge at 3:11.

It's pretty sharp and comes across like a whistle or a consistent keyboard-note.

All in all I'll say let's hear another take when you feel like it - then we'll speak again.

Thanks for listening there E-minor7 , you have good ears as well. I have listened to it quite a few times over and I must admit this is take one and there is a lot to show for still. Maybe I picked a wrong instrumental tune ballad that was sung originally sun by a female all the more the high notes and chordings that seems to ring with looming overtones. This was just to really capture the sounds and timbre in major chords alike which is pure and true. Recording it with an Iphone hastily does not do justice and I would bet it would sound even more grand with the right type of room mic. Although I am not here to impress and showboat but just to lend an earful of what I have bought and began to love day by day.

2:55-3:11 yes it did disappear and showed as there was a slow tone down built up before the chorus hits. It's just the dynamic way the tune was played so to hear the high and low where it hides and shows up. Very well observation. [thumbup] I thought I heard a high pitch harmonica at one point there. Must be the Birds magic blooming? [scared]

Any positive constructive comments are always welcome thank you! I look forward to hearing more if any. But deep inside I know this Bird is a winner just needs to bond a little bit more with her. The bass is there and plenty. I will try another tune with more bass laden lines in the future.

Peace!

What strings are on that bird ?

The strings I believe would be the Masterbilt, although I would really like to think this came with 12-54, in which more of 11's. I will have to measure and look at the gauge more in depth here. 12-54 would be just right. [smile]

Might try the Rotosound soon and see what it might bring out this time and some more of others till the right one for her fits the bill!

Peace!

62burst - CW guards are and have always been remarkably thinner on CW's and SJ's.

This probably is a crucial part of the sonic differences between those and the Bird.

EA was the original thinker behind this theory - more and more tells me he was right.

https://i.ytimg.com/...xresdefault.jpg

Gads- that guard is absolutely slinky.

Trans- where did you have the mic? Sometimes, just to remember a rhythm, etc. , I'll place the phone on the knee in Voice Memos mode. The Apogee MiC 96k, which was designed for iPhone/iPad, etc, is fairly convenient for some higher quality recording, but with just the phone alone, I can be recording in <10 sec.

Coulda sworn I heard singing, or am I still hearing ghosts?

E-min7 = possibly the hardest to just hit the quote button on. You know, it is possible to select the entire reply into blue, then choose font and size attributes? : 0 .

Gads- that guard is absolutely slinky.

Trans- where did you have the mic? Sometimes, just to remember a rhythm, etc. , I'll place the phone on the knee in Voice Memos mode. The Apogee MiC 96k, which was designed for iPhone/iPad, etc, is fairly convenient for some higher quality recording, but with just the phone alone, I can be recording in <10 sec.

Coulda sworn I heard singing, or am I still hearing ghosts?

Well actually I just happen to have the Iphone with me on a table and out of nowhere decided just to try and see to record really, no planning whatsoever. The placement was straight on toward the sound hole by the bridge in which I should have placed on the opposite side of the sound hole towards the end of the fret board to get a better response for an added bass. Been playing around with mic placement lately but I will get there. [biggrin]

There was a little bit of humming in the background too! lol!

This is my first take doing something like this here really , although I have done it before but not in the so called spur of the moment situation. Hehehe! Sounds crappy aint it?

Been checking out the Apogee as mentioned and there seems to be other options out there as well I will need to check out like the lapels and lavs etc...Will see later!

Peace!

Don't doubt it and look forward to hear more.

Yes, go lights 12-53/54 for this guitar.

Another mish mash just trying to coax the devil out o this box....Loving it btw!

It can only get better.

Same set up as before but placement is opposite of the sound hole this time, so a bit more nuance and natural bass.

No EQ whatsoever here. Just playing that's all. [scared] at half volume and not even driving her hard. [confused] Sterile sound?

http://chirb.it/IqpMEG

Peace!

Archived