Gibson Brands Forums

Let It Ride ..

EuroAussie

So Im back in snowy Prague, and tonite is the first gig of 2017.

Started rehearsing and decided to add a couple tracks to the set list to kick off the year, including this one.

Now, as much as I love the acoustic version of Let It Ride I will be playing this track with a cajon player and a pianist, so I decided to go for the electric version he does with The Cardinals.

Straight recording, no ehancements or effects.

what do you reckon, do you like my tan ?

cheers,

EA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHaBQqVMqOI&feature=youtu.be

I enjoyed that very much. As you know, I'm not the best judge of performance quality, but I can say that it sounded more than good enough for a gig performance to me. Also, the guitar sounds spectacular!

I have never heard the song before, so I got a little curious. Who did the original?

Hope you enjoyed your vacation!

Lars

Why Let It Ride is from the boards arguably favourite artist, Ryan Adams.

There are two ways he plays, electric with his band, The Cardinals which is what i based it on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRwlNcOWQKA

And also his amazingly sublime acoustic version with the fingers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN-wHU2f_jg

Glad you enjoy it Lars.

I enjoyed that very much. As you know, I'm not the best judge of performance quality, but I can say that it sounded more than good enough for a gig performance to me. Also, the guitar sounds spectacular!

I have never heard the song before, so I got a little curious. Who did the original?

Hope you enjoyed your vacation!

Lars

Now I feel like an idiot. I need to pay more attention to my own record collection. I have this song and the album it is on. I am a (sometimes) huge fan of Ryan Adams. He is kind of hard to keep up with, very much like Neil Young. Some of his albums have made a big impact on me (most recently Ashes and Fire), while others quietly pass me by without anything ever sticking. This was a gem that I missed. Both versions are great, but the acoustic version is something extra. Thanks for bringing them to my attention!

Lars

Nice EA I like me some good RA.

I am sometimes conflicted on RA and John Mayer. They both appear to be peckerheads in real life, but are clearly great songwriters and artists. 95% of the time I can make the separation....

I do Sweet Carolina, Two. and a few others sometimes live. Havent done Let it Ride in a live setting yet, although I did multitrack a version a few years ago.

Anyways enjoyed. Love your guitar too.

I'm not much of an RA fan, but I like this song, and your performance. It would be tough to do a pure acoustic version of this in the setting you usually play, at least judging from the audience noise I've seen in venue videos you've posted. Maybe early in the evening, before the audience gets lit up.

This is also one of my favorite RA tunes and also one of my favorite tunes to play as well.

I do it with the capo on the 3rd fret which makes it a lot more comfortable to sing, at least for me. Maybe you should try that, but tell your piano player if you do so :rolleyes:

I'm not much of an RA fan, but I like this song, and your performance. It would be tough to do a pure acoustic version of this in the setting you usually play, at least judging from the audience noise I've seen in venue videos you've posted. Maybe early in the evening, before the audience gets lit up.

Funny how playing for a bunch of drunks does things to one's mind. At the very least, it exerts a pretty big influence on the set list😯

Actually depends on the venue Nick. Tonight im playing solo in a small eclectic bar where the fingerpicking version would be a good fit (i play that version also) but im doing the pianist / cajon show next week which is much bigger and so will practice this rockier version. It all really depends on the crowd on the evening rather than a specific venue, but i get your point.

I reckon it would sound awesome with two guitars. One doing the rhythm and the other a bit of honky tonk mando style up the neck. Thats what I want from my pianist to do. Give it a go Sal, and if too high then capo down as was suggested. The bridge is a real ball tearer as its right up there in the sky.

Nice EA I like me some good RA.

I am sometimes conflicted on RA and John Mayer. They both appear to be peckerheads in real life, but are clearly great songwriters and artists. 95% of the time I can make the separation....

I do Sweet Carolina, Two. and a few others sometimes live. Havent done Let it Ride in a live setting yet, although I did multitrack a version a few years ago.

Anyways enjoyed. Love your guitar too.

Do you play Past the Point of Rescue EA?

There's something in your voice that I think maybe it could be a good one for you to try.

Ive never heard that track before, but took a look and sang along to it. It sits well in my range and has a similar feel to Let It Ride, doesnt it ?

I might take a deeper look into it as i do rather like .... a lot of lyrics, aint there .. :rolleyes:

Archived