Gibson Brands Forums

I'm trying to NOT buy this guitar.

Searcy

Ran into the local pawn shop to see if they had a deal on a use GoPro.

Instead I saw this. I was a good boy. I snapped this shot and walked out. But.....I'm thinking of going back....

15941437_1381446915212569_7341105157339022998_n.jpg?oh=6279d9ec5b89a074ca38c481bc4bbc40&oe=591475D7

Not a bad price.... $600 would be better. If it has a case.

I should NOT buy this guitar....

Right? [scared][cursing]

Man....

THE Man...

msp_thumbup.gif

For those of us in the UK this link will work...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzXRNHQ2PFQ

By a strance happenstance I was blasting out 'Irish Tour '74' this very afternoon.

Very Sadly Missed.

The odd thing is that I've watched that clip goodness knows how many times and I always accepted - without LOOKING - that it was a Special DC...

That means you really MUST buy the guitar, Searcy! How could you NOT????

Pip.

I would be seriously tempted...

Searcy, are you aware of the NOS Gretsch bodies available online? Just throwin that out there because I know you're a DIY guy. I almost grabbed an astro jet body, but didn't really want to bother making the neck and finishing it

I got one of those, a 61 with the "normal" head, mine has a "modern" TV-jones pup, great wibe to it and a chunky neck, i payed more than that price.

For that price i would try it to secure no damage, and then buy it and run :-)

I'm going to go later today and have another look. The pick guard looks mighty new to me and the guard screws look black so I'm thinking those may not be original. I'm going to see about swapping a Squire bass I have against it too. They beauty of dealing with a pawn shop. [thumbup]

So I had it up this afternoon with the base and $600 in my pocket. I told my wife not to be surprised if I came home with another guitar. She gave me the look, you know the look I'm talking about.

When I got to the shop and ask them to bring me the guitar from the wall I was initially pretty impressed. I was right about the pick guard in the original screws. It looked as though the nitrocellulose pick guard had disintegrated so they had replaced it with a new one. Not horrible but also not original which means a lot on the vintage market should I decide to resell it sometime. It had a few dings here and there but overall the finish was in good shape.

I really wanted to like it. I really did. But this thing has very small frets that someone had played the hell out of. It had been leveled several times and there was just nothing left of the frets. The bridge which also look new, had been raised up pretty high. I suspected this was so the guitar could be played with at the strings rattling. I quickly adjusted the thumbscrews down to a more reasonable string height and instantly found that you really couldn't play anything on it. It was going to need to be completely re-Fretted. Unless I can get the guitar for about 400 bucks I was simply wasn't Interested.

I did however sell the base. My wife was pretty amazed when I walked through the door with no guitar and an extra few bucks in my pocket

So I had it up this afternoon with the base and $600 in my pocket. I told my wife not to be surprised if I came home with another guitar. She gave me the look, you know the look I'm talking about.

When I got to the shop and ask them to bring me the guitar from the wall I was initially pretty impressed. I was right about the pick guard in the original screws. It looked as though the nitrocellulose pick guard had disintegrated so they had replaced it with a new one. Not horrible but also not original which means a lot on the vintage market should I decide to resell it sometime. It had a few dings here and there but overall the finish was in good shape.

I really wanted to like it. I really did. But this thing has very small frets that someone had played the hell out of. It had been leveled several times and there was just nothing left of the frets. The bridge which also look new, had been raised up pretty high. I suspected this was so the guitar could be played with at the strings rattling. I quickly adjusted the thumbscrews down to a more reasonable string height and instantly found that you really couldn't play anything on it. It was going to need to be completely re-Fretted. Unless I can get the guitar for about 400 bucks I was simply wasn't Interested.

I did however sell the base. My wife was pretty amazed when I walked through the door with no guitar and an extra few bucks in my pocket

You should be ashamed of yourself.

rct

Archived