Gibson Brands Forums

Most iconic/used ES-335 color?

leovan83

Hey guys, I'm looking into buyin my first ES-335. I like getting my guitars in their most known or "famous" colours and configurations, specifically the ones they started with. For example, I like my Les Paul's to be Goldtops or Heritages Cherries... my Strats to be 2 or 3 color burst with the maple board, and so on.

I'm new to he ES world, looking at the colours they have available today for 2017 (for the non-figured tops) I see that it's basically either Cherry or Pelham Blue and I think some orange burst. I really like both the cherry and the blue, but I wonder, which of those two are best related to the 335?

The first colours were blonde and sunburst for the 335/345/330 and cherry for the 355, with cherry rolled out to all models in 1959 and blonde quietly retired (except for custom orders) by the end of 1960. When I think of 335s cherry is the colour I see them in.

The other common colours for vintage 335s were cherry sunburst from '65 onwards, sparkling burgundy in the late 60s and walnut and wine red in the 70s. The odd black one also shows up from time to time. Pelham blue was a popular custom colour in the 60s although it's more common on SGs and Melody Makers than it is on semis. Most (thinking about it, all the ones I can remember seeing) of the Pelham 335s I've seen have been Trini Lopez models with the Fenderish headstock and diamond f holes. Pelham does seem popular on the reissues though.

• 4 weeks later...

So many great choices! I particularly favor the nitrocellulose "cherry" that shows off the maple grain. Rotnroby's photo, a few posts back, captures it well, I waited patiently to locate this Limited Edition 60's Cherry. Cheers! eusa_dance.gif

Gibson%20ES-335%202015%20Limited%20Edition%2060s%20Cherry%201.jpg

• 1 month later...

So many great choices! I particularly favor the nitrocellulose "cherry" that shows off the maple grain. Rotnroby's photo, a few posts back, captures it well, I waited patiently to locate this Limited Edition 60's Cherry. Cheers! eusa_dance.gif

Gibson%20ES-335%202015%20Limited%20Edition%2060s%20Cherry%201.jpg

Wildwood has some stuff like that but this one is more vintage correct than the one you posted.

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/50072/limited-1963-es-335tdc-figured-vos-7/

Hello Cjsinia... Your link to Wildwood formerly returned a "Figured" maple in cherry which was exceptionally handsome!

I opted for the 60's cherry with a "plain" top which accents the longitudinal grain. I believe both iterations were available in the 60's. Stunning guitars!

Cheers rolleyes.gif

Archived