Gibson Brands Forums

This is an Original.

MorrisrownSal

Please give me your criticism. Things you might change? Thoughts?

I threw this down this morning. I wrote the words three days ago... fitted it to some "troubadourish chords" this morning.

I didnt put any bass or mando or percussion in it yet. I wanted you to hear the feel... just with a little shaky thing for effect. And a poor idea for harmony (which is off in parts)

The song is called Sundown Troubadour... about errrr... an older guy singing in bars... and connecting with a younger patron. I told you guys its hard to write about the blues and such when I am pretty damn lucky. SO I tried writing about a little fantasy I guess....

https://soundcloud.com/sal-from-chatham/sundown-troubadour

Now, THAT'S what I'm talking about! Bravo, Sal- this works on all levels for me. The lyrics and melody kept me tuned in and interested the whole way through, you GD sundown troubador, you.

Well done--you've got this in spades, and we'll all say we knew you when. 👍🏻👍🏻

Very solid work Sal.Melody is really enjoyable...memorable.I don't think there is much tinkering needed with the words either.Story is kind of gentle and doesn't need over dramatisation.Lyrics as is are working.

I like the inner rhymes.."apprehension , pretension" etc combined with that deft bit of melody change.

edit...morning glory (besides the plant name)has a couple of salacious slang meanings in Oz.Not sure about you guys.Even if it does there too it just adds a level of humor to the words - which indeed you may have intended.

Please give me your criticism. Things you might change? Thoughts?

I threw this down this morning. I wrote the words three days ago... fitted it to some "troubadourish chords" this morning.

I didnt put any bass or mando or percussion in it yet. I wanted you to hear the feel... just with a little shaky thing for effect. And a poor idea for harmony (which is off in parts)

The song is called Sundown Troubadour... about errrr... an older guy singing in bars... and connecting with a younger patron. I told you guys its hard to write about the blues and such when I am pretty damn lucky. SO I tried writing about a little fantasy I guess....

https://soundcloud.com/sal-from-chatham/sundown-troubadour

Dig it! The transition to the minor key on the chorus and at the end gives it a Beatlesque quality to me, which is a good thing.

Good work, Sal, good work. While covering tunes is a noble pursuit, it is the original compositions that we have to thank for the opportunity to take a shot at them. Bravo for stepping up, pen in hand!

And the fantasy train of thought is a very good one.........done a few of those myself. Examine the situation from as many angles as you can and describe what's happening.........the imagination is a wonderful thing!

Man I love it.

And the harmonies.

Having gigged since I was 12 years old, I was a frontman lead guitarist at age 17 ( there was no law in the Wild West in the 70's ) I had the OPPOSITE problem.....

And I never heard the word Cougar back in those days either.

I thought it was great Sal.

[thumbup]

Man I love it.

And the harmonies.

Having gigged since I was 12 years old, I was a frontman lead guitarist at age 17 ( there was no law in the Wild West in the 70's ) I had the OPPOSITE problem.....

And I never heard the word Cougar back in those days either.

I thought it was great Sal.

[thumbup]

Not sure I want to hear the song murph 😄

Please give me your criticism. Things you might change?

That's going to be fun to fill in with other tracks. I feel like playing along on keys while I'm listening....

The harmony addition at 1:07 is excellent. But at 1:15, eh, hard to say, I might leave it out there, it's a bit much, add mando or something else there....

That was great Sal, no kidding. Has a kind of country feel in the beginning but the bridge reminds me of early sixties/late fifties r&r. Or Beatles as someone else said. That's really a keeper. Somebody's going to steal that one. Better copyright it.

Rich

That was quality Sal. The melody is lovelly, but the song develops and keeps us guessing without ever getting off the road. And what i like the most about it was that it was very much 'you'. Your name was written all over it in terms of style and tone, and thats a great thing. When you not only can write an original but also in a personally distinct way. [thumbup]

Archived