Gibson Brands Forums

Guess the Bob Dylan song

Lars68

Friends, when posting original songs, I often get the advice to instead post a cover of song more people will know so I can get better advice regarding my weak singing. So, today I thought of a cover that I could do that could be fun. I came up with a Bob Dylan song I love.

I recorded this version below. If you take a few minutes and listen and tell me what you think about the singing, I will greatly appreciate it. You don't have to be kind. Please tell me like it is. I know there are problems.

Also, there is a catch. I won't name the song here. I will see if my singing is good enough to let you recognise it. So name that tune...

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/bara-om-min-a-lskade-va-ntar

Lars

A nice twist by doing it in your native language, but the melody, and the similarity of the 6th word in Swedish gave you away!

We have a standing joke around here when someone goes into an enjoyable version of a well-known song where everyone helps out on the instrumental part- at the end ask, “that was a good one; was that one of yours?"

I have no idea. [confused]

I have a few albums of his and a general knowledge of his music I gues - but he's had so many songs I probably still know less than half of them.

My favourite is Blind Willie McTell (w/M.Knopfler), and I'm pretty sure it's not that, even in Swedish [laugh]

Thanks for listening, everyone. Yes, "Tomorrow is Such a Long Time" is what I was aiming for, and any melody diversion is of course completely intentional and part of my personal artistic expression [biggrin]

How far off am I?

Lars

Then it got a bit inventive - but tuneful.

Ha, ha, that is about the best and funniest feedback I haver ever been given here on the forum. I think I need to get the melody right all the time. Once I make a mistake, I tend to lose track of where to go next. I'm like bambi on ice. One mistake and I fall flat on my face.

Lars

I got endless!

Night and day diff between 2015 Lars and 2017 Lars. Well done

Sal, I'm glad to hear that you think I have gotten better. I really, really want to be able to do this, and I have had my doubts abouts my ability to learn one day. I have been told here on the forum that I may never learn, but I'm out to prove it wrong, and if it turns out that I don't have it in me, I will enjoy the ride nevertheless.

By the way, I found and old memory card with about 30 attempts at cover songs I had recorded. They where recorded during a period of about five or six years and the most recent song was from about 2013. They all sounded absolutely horrendous to me now (which they didn't do at the time). I may have to burn that card. If it ever falls into vicious hands, I might be a blackmail victim. So I started with almost no ability at all, now I have at least climbed partially out of the pit [biggrin]

Lars

Lars, you have a fine ringing voice with a lot of possibilities.

But you are seriously out of tune and have to work. Being out if tune when singing (and playing) is like driving off the road.

You seem to have a very good car - but it's plowing over the pavement now and again, , , and again. 17 should be used to get it under control.

Regarding the quiz, Guess the Dylan, I go further and take a shot at the original translator and performer of this version.

I'd say this artist's initials were and still is U.D.

Jepp, Ulf Dageby did the translation, and a marvelous one it is. Very true to the intent and poetic beauty of the original. Well done guys!

This song has been a part of the Swedish musical landscape for the past 40 years, as covered in the Swedish version by some great artists.

Here is the song as performed on the biggest musical stage in the country, Ullevi Stadium in Gothenburg, in front of 70000 people. It is a duet with Håkan Hellström, the biggest Swedish act at the moment, and Joakim Thåström, one of my musical heroes and argubably the biggest of them all within our borders (I'm partial). So, the song still lives and is brought to the attention of the younger generation. If they have a genuine interest in music, they will start digging and end up at the doorstep of the great Robert Z.

Em7, as for my version and my singing, well I have been driving without a license for a very long time [biggrin]

It is my enormous love for music and this hobby that keeps me going. I have a strong desire to learn to play and sing. People with normally wired brains probably would have given up years ago, but I love this too much, and actually enjoy trying. It is the the sometimes miniscule bits of improvements that keeps my in driving school.

Lars

This song has been a part of the Swedish musical landscape for the past 40 years, as covered in the Swedish version by some great artists.

Here is the song as performed on the biggest musical stage in the country, Ullevi Stadium in Gothenburg, in front of 70000 people. It is a duet with Håkan Hellström, the biggest Swedish act at the moment, and Joakim Thåström, one of my musical heroes and argubably the biggest of them all within our borders (I'm partial). So, the song still lives and is brought to the attention of the younger generation. If they have a genuine interest in music, they will start digging and end up at the doorstep of the great Robert Z.

Good grief! I've never seen that many Swedes get worked up over a concert (unless it was ABBA).

Very impressive.

Jepp, Ulf Dageby did the translation, and a marvelous one it is. Very true to the intent and poetic beauty of the original. Well done guys!

This song has been a part of the Swedish musical landscape for the past 40 years, as covered in the Swedish version by some great artist.

Em7, as for my version and my singing, well I have been driving without a license for a very long time [biggrin]

It is my enormous love for music and this hobby that keeps me going. I have a strong desire to learn to play and sing. People with normally wired brains probably would have given up years ago, but I love this too much, and actually enjoy trying. It is the the sometimes miniscule bits of improvements that keep me going.

Lars

There is hope ! - just you continue with both ears open.

. . . . . . . . . .

I've had the black'n'grey Nationalteatern-album in the collection for almost 30 year. First half of it is rated very high here.

And the Dageby's version is glowing iron.

He was a passionate and dangerous left-wing-performer in his hey-day and took things right to the edge.

My limit fx stood between side 1 and side 2 of that LP.

But man, he was good. .

1978 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GEPrBb5VkE

Note - The translation above is absolutely apolitical and can be seen as 100 % loyal to the Dylan-original

I had a listen to the Swedish guy whose cover you covered. He makes a few changes to the Dylan melody too. So that would go some way to explaining what I thought were your changes.

Something that interests me in any translation of a song or poem is keeping the meaning but still coming up with a rhyme. I'll listen again to see if I can pick some rhyming couplets.

Tried again...

Far better.

And the fact you improved so shortly after the first take (and comments) says it all.

This is a question of time for you - time and focus.

Things are within reach, but you really got to learn to listen.

Listen while doin' ~ doin' while listening

I had a listen to the Swedish guy whose cover you covered. He makes a few changes to the Dylan melody too. So that would go some way to explaining what I thought were your changes.

Something that interests me in any translation of a song or poem is keeping the meaning but still coming up with a rhyme. I'll listen again to see if I can pick some rhyming couplets.

The artist whose version I have been listening to is Joakim Thåström, and his version is on an album called "Kärlek är för dom" (a superb album by the way, one of my all time favorites by any artist) from about 2009. You can find it on Spotify for example. However, Thåström did not do the translation. It was done by Ulf Dageby, of Nationalteatern, back inte the late 70's as pointed out before. As I mentioned, this particular song and the translation has taken on sort of a life of its own here in Sweden. My guess is that a lot of people don't even know Dylan did the original. I hope that if Dylan ever comes to Sweden to hold his Nobel Price address that he takes a moment and talks about this song, or even better, performs it. It would be the time and the place to do it, for sure.

Here is another good version, performed live on a recent television show with Ulf Dageby (the older gentleman with the glasses) in the audience.

Lars

Far better.

And the fact you improved so shortly after the first take (and comments) says it all.

This is a question of time for you - time and focus.

Things are within reach, but you really got to learn to listen.

Listen while doin' ~ doin' while listening

Thanks for the encouragements! I will hopefully get there eventually, but it might take me a few years.

By the way, you need to tell me more about how you happen to know of Nationalteatern and Ulf Dageby. Are you perhaps a Swede in disquise? [biggrin]

Lars

Thanks for the encouragements! I will hopefully get there eventually, but it might take me a few years.

By the way, you need to tell me more about how you happen to know of Nationalteatern and Ulf Dageby. Are you perhaps a Swede in disquise? [biggrin]

I have a Swedish friend who is a painter.

But Sweden has another troubadour, who was and probably still is mad about Dylan. His name is Mikael Wiehe.

And when Bob visited Göteborg and gave 2 concerts in the summer of 1978 (of which I saw the first), Wiehe had released 2 translated tracks that impressed B.D. so much he simply phoned the Swede the evening between the gigs. Unfortunately there was no one home, but as he said while telling the story :

A shame, , , it would have been nice sharing a bottle of whiskey. .

1994 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dir5FSTg7ho

, , , and to spice things a little up, I have the Telecaster of that tour in my band.

Archived