Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Serial Numbers

Guest Damo

Hello, I've come across two Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop Pros in Australia with the following Serial Nos...13041506677 and 13031509942. I understand them both to be manufactured in Qingdao. The first one listed in April 2013 and the other in March 2013. However the Production Numbers are confusing me. Is it possible for the earlier produced guitar to have a higher (later) production number? They are different colours if that makes a difference.

Hello, I've come across two Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop Pros in Australia with the following Serial Nos...13041506677 and 13031509942. I understand them both to be manufactured in Qingdao. The first one listed in April 2013 and the other in March 2013. However the Production Numbers are confusing me. Is it possible for the earlier produced guitar to have a higher (later) production number? They are different colours if that makes a difference.

a new month would start over the production run? just a guess but it would clear up the confusion.

Do you think they were producing up to 10,000 of these per month from Qingdao?

who knows. who's to say that the sequence number is the actual order of production. the first one off the line could be the last to get assigned a number. in the end it doesn't really matter.

Thanks for the response. I understand what you're saying. I was wondering if the out of order sequencing was an indicator that one of them is a fake. However I was assuming they were numbered as they came off the line, and I concede that this may not be the case.

Archived