Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 with Waverly tuners

Old Neil

J-45%20tuners%20front.jpg

Brought out my (currently) neglected J-45 standard while my new AJ is in the shop getting a setup and giving it a cleanup.

Was admiring the nickel, butterbean Waverly's in the the light and thought it might make a nice photo for those considering doing the same.

The bulky, sealed Grovers that came with it just put the headstock balance out unnecessarily when playing sitting down and (with the addition of having the electrics removed) made for noticeably lighter and more agile guitar.

(I also had a bone saddle made and topped it off with some bone ivory pins which made me realize there is quite a bit one can do to make a standard Gibson your own - if you're into that kinda thing...)

J-45%20tuners%20back.jpg

It's a nice look. I put Grover Sta-tites (not rotomatics) on my J-45 back about 1970. They have much the same look as the Waverly's (although not as well finished), with open back and similar buttons. They were all this poor boy could afford back then. Haven't replaced those for sentimental reasons.

headstock.jpg

They look great! Beautiful headstock too.

Needless to say, it didn't come out of Kalamazoo in 1948 with the headstock looking like that. The headstock décor was done in 1970 or so, for better or worse. It seemed like a good idea at the time...

That's a great look on both guitars, guys. I've always wanted to put a set of Waverly tuners on something, but never felt justified spending that much - the Sta-Tites are as close as I ever got, and considering how well they do the Waverleys must be really outstanding😍

I agree, they look even better on a bound headstock.

Besides the classic, classy look, Waverly really make great tuners. Compared to the somewhat look-alike competition they feel far more precise and solid and (all other things being equal) hold tune very well. The open back tuners on the AJ feel positively loose by comparison. They may not last long.

Isn't the Waverly name now owned by Stew Mac? To me though, Grover Rotomatics just look wrong on any Gibson acoustic You think they throw the balance of a 6 string off trying playing something like a Mossman 12 string with those tuners.

Here are the original Grover "clipped plate" tuners on my early 1930s Oahu "Nick Lucas."

OahuJumbo5_zps2c13683e.jpg

I like the Waverly's butterbean tuners but not on a Gibson, more on a Martin really.

It just looks too gaudy of a wannabe. Maybe the Waverly Oval Ivory? [thumbup]

The vintage aged Kluson's Tulips or the Grover mini rotomatics is more befitting really for a Gibson. [thumbup]

But that's just me tho'.............Whatever floats your boat is all that matters in the end.

Peace!

The Waverly oval ivory is a good call for a Gibson headstock. I like the durability of nickel to survive my string winder however. :-)

Also agree that one associates them more with a Martin/Collings headstock. The 12 fret AJ already has nickel butterbean tuners - just not great ones, so that's an easy like for like replacement without changing the aesthetics.

The Waverly oval ivory is a good call for a Gibson headstock. I like the durability of nickel to survive my string winder however. :-)

Also agree that one associates them more with a Martin/Collings headstock. The 12 fret AJ already has nickel butterbean tuners - just not great ones, so that's an easy like for like replacement without changing the aesthetics.

The simple ivory oval buttons (whether on three-on-a-strip or individual tuners), or black ones on certain vintage models, look right at home on an unadorned Gibson headstock with a decal logo. Fancier Gibson headstocks with inlays or binding can "take" fancier buttons without the tuners becoming a distraction.

The modern use of Rotomatics on any Gibson just strikes me as wrong esthetically, even though they are perfectly functional. That may just be because I associate Rotomatics with the D-18 and D-28 from the early 1960's through today, and oval buttons or keystones with the Gibson range. Except for Grover Imperials on high-end Gibson archtops, of course. Those look just right. But that's just me.

J-45%20tuners%20front.jpg

Brought out my (currently) neglected J-45 standard while my new AJ is in the shop getting a setup and giving it a cleanup.

Was admiring the nickel, butterbean Waverly's in the the light and thought it might make a nice photo for those considering doing the same.

The bulky, sealed Grovers that came with it just put the headstock balance out unnecessarily when playing sitting down and (with the addition of having the electrics removed) made for noticeably lighter and more agile guitar.

(I also had a bone saddle made and topped it off with some bone ivory pins which made me realize there is quite a bit one can do to make a standard Gibson your own - if you're into that kinda thing...)

J-45%20tuners%20back.jpg

Just needs a little filling and leveling around the posts to get rid of those raccoon eyes. That would drive me nuts.

I've a set of sta tites that I once had on my j45 but I went to fit them on my 00015 Martin and the little bushes just don't quite fit in the holes. Talking a mm maybe , they're loose when fitted from the back of the headstock but the holes seem to be narrower at the front than the back . Should I just get a reamer ?

I've a set of sta tites that I once had on my j45 but I went to fit them on my 00015 Martin and the little bushes just don't quite fit in the holes. Talking a mm maybe , they're loose when fitted from the back of the headstock but the holes seem to be narrower at the front than the back . Should I just get a reamer ?

I didn't do any of the work myself, a luthier did, He did warn me that, without redoing the headstock finish that their would be some evidence of marking as replacing the solid Gotohs wasn't a like for like job. It is only noticeable to me in certain lighting (or camera closeups) so I don't worry about it. I am perhaps less precious about my standard J-45 as (as its famous moniker implies) my workhorse guitar. Although I treat it as well as more expensive guitars (proper humidity control, regular cleaning, string changes, occasional bouts with the Tonerite if I am not playing it as much etc) I am perhaps less sensitive to the cosmetic imperfections.

I've been inspired by this thread, so I just ordered some ivoroid buttoned Waverly tuners.

Skarmavbild%202017-01-16%20kl.%2014.50.50.png

I will swap them out on my J-45 (agree with a previous poster about them looking better on a non-bound peghead) and use the J-45's nickel Waverlys on my 12 Fret AJ when I get it back from its setup. Both jobs I should be able to do myself as the drill settings are the same so it should be a straight swap.

Even so, anything I should be aware of when doing installing them?

I like the Waverly's butterbean tuners but not on a Gibson, more on a Martin really.

Two vintage Gibson flattops came with the butterbean tuners. The Advanced Jumbo:

p5_uxgufli4o_ss.jpg?maxheight=500&maxwidth=500

And, the 1930s version of the Nick Lucas:

GF1477-3.jpg?v=1475704124

I've got Waverlys on all of my modern guitars:

pb116159_std.jpg

182_std.jpg

Including the one that I built:

JT%20Bard%20Headstock_zpsaxkr2jw8.jpg

I've been inspired by this thread, so I just ordered some ivoroid buttoned Waverly tuners.

I will swap them out on my J-45 (agree with a previous poster about them looking better on a non-bound peghead) and use the J-45's nickel Waverlys on my 12 Fret AJ when I get it back from its setup. Both jobs I should be able to do myself as the drill settings are the same so it should be a straight swap.

Even so, anything I should be aware of when doing installing them?

Those Grained Ivoroid Waverly tuners are beautiful. Yes, Zombywoof, 'thought that Waverly was owned by StewMac, too. Neil, going from the Butterbeans to the Ivoroid tuners should be as easy a swap as you could ask for. The Grained Ivoroid comes with the hexagonal bushings, if I'm not mistaken, no biggie. But what drilling will you have to do? Might want to check the bore diameter on the Grovers that are coming out of the 12-fret AJ, though; you might need a conversion bushing, hopefully Grover doesn't use the same tuner post hole diameter as with the Roto'.

I've used a round file wrapped with sandpaper on a round file if no reamer on hand, anything round just to shape out that hole a smidge. See what exit wounds the bushing will cover for you. A reamer would be cleaner, though.

Neil, going from the Butterbeans to the Ivoroid tuners should be as easy a swap as you could ask for. The Grained Ivoroid comes with the hexagonal bushings, if I'm not mistaken, no biggie. But what drilling will you have to do? Might want to check the bore diameter on the Grovers that are coming out of the 12-fret AJ, though; you might need a conversion bushing, hopefully Grover doesn't use the same tuner post hole as on the Roto'.

OK,duly noted, thanks.msp_thumbup.gif

Those Grained Ivoroid Waverly tuners are beautiful. Yes, Zombywoof, 'thought that Waverly was owned by StewMac, too. Neil, going from the Butterbeans to the Ivoroid tuners should be as easy a swap as you could ask for. The Grained Ivoroid comes with the hexagonal bushings, if I'm not mistaken, no biggie. But what drilling will you have to do? Might want to check the bore diameter on the Grovers that are coming out of the 12-fret AJ, though; you might need a conversion bushing, hopefully Grover doesn't use the same tuner post hole as on the Roto'.

I've used a round file wrapped with sandpaper on a round file if no reamer on hand, anything round just to shape out that hole a smidge. See what exit wounds the bushing will cover for you. A reamer would be cleaner, though.

Ok. Cheers , will give it a go

My new Western Classic came with gold Waverly's. I just bought an SJ-200 that came with gold Grover Imperials, I like them a lot, I am going to be selling the Waverly's very soon if anyone is interested.

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Solid_Peghead_Guitar_Tuning_Machines/Waverly_Guitar_Tuners_with_Butterbean_Knobs_for_Solid_Pegheads.html

Archived