Gibson Brands Forums

Found a cool old pic

ksdaddy

That really IS cool, ksd!

You must be really delighted to have found such an evocative photo!

msp_thumbup.gif

I'm a huge fan on the history of photography and absolutely love seeing pictures taken from all ages of the medium - especially those taken informally and by enthusiastic amateurs rather than just well-controlled 'Pro' stuff.

Pip.

Great pic my friend.

Good memories hopefully.

I have a pic of my dad when he was in the army WW11 and I keep it by my computer. It might have been early as he looked really young.

Nice to have around and to bring back memories.

Might make a good thread?

Yup, a neat photo...

And one that's revealing perhaps as much about us and our reaction as to our OP's super photo of his Dad.

"We," regardless of our age, tend to consider that our parents and their generation were "old people" from their birth; that's no more true than that we who are over 60 were that way 50 years ago.

Unfortunately IMHO, our increasing splintered media options tend to further that sort of perspective; after all, our parents were not only not quite human "way back then" with human options, tastes and perspectives, they weren't politically correct by many of today's age groups' perspectives.

I think that's sad because it means "we" lose perspective on ourselves.

BTW, I don't have a photo of it, but I can't forget my Dad's old Stella cheapie and Tom Mix hat that sat together for so many years in our attic in my own childhood. Later on he gave up on six strings, but enjoyed plinking on a baritone uke. He and my biological Mom sang together and were frequently requested to do so all through the years of my childhood. My Mom of over 50 years following the death of my mother was no singer, but enjoyed Dad's singing. My little sis, now approaching age 70, and I also sang frequent duets up into high school age, encouraged initially, I think, by our parents' duets.

m

Very nice picture indeed. Evokes memories of a picture of my Dad In WWII, he was in the navy and is seen on the rail of the ship he was assigned to, he looked so young in that picture. I think it is great that you guys post shots like that, it is fun to see them all and brings back some fond memories.

Thanks for the picture.

Archived