Gibson Brands Forums

Schertler Rig Test

Buc McMaster

Well I think I've got the new pickup/preamp rig dialed pretty good. I do expect there will be further micro tweaking as time goes on but this sounds pretty close to the unamplified instrument, at least with this little Fender combo. The amp tone controls are set flat and all tonal adjustment is done with the Yellow preamp......no effects. A tune I did at the open mic last night that was very well received........

Broke Down - Slaid Cleaves

You be the judge and please say what you think of the tone.............

The guitar sounds beautiful.

Your song is beautiful as well. I say your song because while I've never heard the original, you sang it with enough feeling and power that it could be an original of yours.

If we're critiquing your audio capture process, I will say that there were some parts in the second half of the song where your voice overloaded the audio - around 2:25-2:35. That's hard to deal with when you don't have an audio guy manning the mixer.

Guitar tone awesome.

It seems this is a great option, provided you are static and seated. It wouldn't work in my gigs...too much bumping and cord stepping...

More importantly, what a beautiful and tender song. I never heard it, and I don't even want to hear another version. It's so perfectly yours.

So we are hearing the guitar through the amp but you singing..'in the air', no mic?

Guitar sounded good at the beginning but everything went a little distorted later.

How are you getting that sound of guitar AND vocal to the audience at the gig? I gather you didn't like playing into the mic and singing?

It's a Black Hole to fall in, Buc!

I have this:

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/retro-series/d-18e-retro/

And Shure SM58 and Martin Aura guitar into this, and DI both guitar/vocal to a Mixer... (Sounds like I am at a bar - all dressed up with nowhere to go, I suppose):

https://www.boss.info/global/products/ve-8/

Or I can use the Fishman Aura DI box for my guitars that have an undersaddle pickup - (but my D18 Retro has the Aura built in):

http://www.fishman.com/products/series/aura/aura-spectrum-di-preamp/

BluesKing777.

So we are hearing the guitar through the amp but you singing..'in the air', no mic?

Correct. Merely the process of getting the rig dialed in so as to have a good starting point to adjust from when live on different stages. The amp was turned up sufficient to be louder than the guitar alone, but not enough to overpower my voice..........microphone unnecessary for this. I do very much enjoy singing into a good mic. The wife went along last night and said my voice sounds even better when amplified.......dunno about that myself. And yes, I do hear a bit of distortion happening late in the video. Guess I got a bit over zealous there.......... The DYN pickup is about the size of a quarter, stuck on the top behind the bridge. The cord is easily secured above the strap button behind the strap for standing and rockin' around.......no worries there.

It is a good tune, isn't it? I am trying to sing with more conviction in my voice as I work on the stage presence thing as I feel that's an important part of a good performance. It was still tough to relax at the open mic last night but it did go well and I have every reason to believe it will get better with repetition.

Thanks for listening!

ps........ The O-Port is not in the Hummingbird here as it was in earlier experiments.

The best part of playing your guitar while singing through the mic at the gig is that the mixer person can't turn your guitar up too loud - perfect balance with your vocal. Too loud - move back....

Just keep going no matter what is the key, I think. I had a fabulous organised blues jam that fizzled out but I assumed it would go on being fun like that forever, but they moved pubs a few times and nobody seemed to follow. But I was at a stage where I had played in bands and solo and jumped up on stage like falling off a log, still smiling. Terrifying now but...out of practice. So we follow your efforts with interest, Buc!

I have been reading a thread on AGF called the 'Open mic agony column' - Love it! The one I just read, the guy got booed! OMG.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455869

BluesKing777.

Oh, nearly forget.

Don't forget to thank the friendly jam host, band, soundman! I was the guitarist in a house band at a blues jam for a while many years ago - got paid!

We did a set to kick the night off while the jammers got ready and/or lubricated...we didn't know any songs but just launched into jams of something or other - all pretty off the cuff. And then the jammers used our gear, which I was fine with until a guy did a no no on my Mesa amp - turned both volume and master AND lead master volume knobs to 10. Next week, I borrowed a friends junky little Yamaha transistor amp!

I had almost wiped some of those nights from my memory! Some people just can't sing in tune at all, but jump up EVERY week!

Sorry to hijack, Buc.

BluesKing777.

Don't forget to thank the friendly jam host, band, soundman!

Always do, always. Being congenial goes a long way, which, sad but true, is not my usual demeanor.

As another note on things, I was forced to go back to .012 gauge on the Hummingbird. After about 10 days of play time intonation problems began to show up when capo-ed from the 4th up.....unacceptable. Those were round core Sunbeams and I do plan to try a hex core set of .013s, looking for a solution. Really, really like the feel and power of mediums on this guitar and I'd like to find the solution.

Archived