Gibson Brands Forums

Martin "Custom Shop Aged" Announcement

BluesKing777

I hate to think where you might place L.L. Bean's extensive lines of jeans in that universe, including many that are artificially "aged". I hope you buy only shrink-to-fit, dark indigo, rigid clean, unwashed Levi's 501 button-fly jeans. Nothing stonewashed or any of that other PC stuff.

Wasn't those dark-blue Wranglers kinda coated back in the day before the wash-wave - I remember having troubs moving in them just after they got on as a kid.

Stiff like full of dry glue.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That wear around the bottom of the pickguard never looks natural to me. Marks like that left by guitar picks always seem to look different, with the wood grain still being present, where these look like they're sanded or rubbed down.

I wonder if Sturgill was playing one of these on SNL the other night?

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/sturgill-simpson-keep-it-between-the-lines/3454415?snl=1

Wasn't those dark-blue Wranglers kinda coated back in the day before the wash-wave - I remember having troubs moving in them just after they got on as a kid.

Stiff like full of dry glue.

That was the sizing that was added to the fabric, which made it stiff enough to be sewn efficiently and accurately. But they (all brands)were stiff as a board when new. All of the "washing" done now removes that, so that they are more comfortable to wear when new. I remember it taking about a half-dozen washings before they were even remotely comfortable. Changing the color through stone-washing and acid-washing is a more modern convention for those who don't have the patience to wear them in until they look and feel good.

Sort of like aging on a new guitar, except for the timeline.

They're making what...50 of these for the whole world right? Not exactly revising their entire product range. [laugh]

seems to have gotten people talking Martin though - maybe its like when New Coke got everyone up in arms and demanding Old Coke and pushing up sales to record levels?

That was the sizing that was added to the fabric, which made it stiff enough to be sewn efficiently and accurately. But they (all brands)were stiff as a board when new. All of the "washing" done now removes that, so that they are more comfortable to wear when new. I remember it taking about a half-dozen washings before they were even remotely comfortable. Changing the color through stone-washing and acid-washing is a more modern convention for those who don't have the patience to wear them in until they look and feel good.

Sort of like aging on a new guitar, except for the timeline.

See, the things you learn in the Gibson Forum!

Sizing? Ha, I know what sizing is, only because we knew a family named Sizer when I was a kid and the mother explained what sizing was. Otherwise.....filler or glaze on the material but possibly chalk at the beginning!

And where do you get plain, dark indigo, thick Levis now? You know, the ones that you could stand in the corner overnight!

I got some big fat RMWilliams stockman jeans a few years back, but they are way heavy....and hot.

BluesKing777.

Changing the color through stone-washing and acid-washing is a more modern convention for those who don't have the patience to wear them in until they look and feel good.

Yea, , , but they never, , , never, , , got that same fade as the originals no matter which method they tried. Counts for jeans as jackets.

And let's send a thought to the belt. Broad with some kind of mother of pearl buckle featuring a big W in the middle. .

Yea, , , but they never, , , never, , , got that same fade as the originals no matter which method they tried. Counts for jeans as jackets.

And let's send a thought to the belt. Broad with some kind of mother of pearl buckle featuring a big W in the middle. .

But don't EVER wear that belt when you're playing your Gibson. Unless you want it to look like a pre-aged Martin.

I wonder if buckle rash on the back is part of their aging process?

I hate to think where you might place L.L. Bean's extensive lines of jeans in that universe, including many that are artificially "aged". I hope you buy only shrink-to-fit, dark indigo, rigid clean, unwashed Levi's 501 button-fly jeans. Nothing stonewashed or any of that other PC stuff.

Ahahahah I love you guys!

You should see my Levi's jean collections, although I have no issue with L.L Baggs....err Beans!!

Although I have the odd Calvin Klein.....Nudie......G-Star Raw...ok i'll stop it now.... [scared]

I wear out the 501's then I wash 'em later...Looks aged and relic imho!!

Trans

I have a handful of nice acoustics. And I visited the Martin factory with my gigging buddy two months back. He was in awe, and we also went to Russo's, where he got his lifetime guitar... a new HD28... his holy grail. He asked them to keep the new case, and allow him to keep his trade-in Martin DCPA4's case so his wife wouldn't notice what he had done.

I look at these Martin pre-aged guitars... Authentics... likely priced at $8000 street. And I shake my head.

Even if one goes to spend that for a 40s vintage guitar, and its not their own mojo, and they like it... it still is an aged instrument with honest real stories somewhere in it, as opposed to the "stories" put into it with a couple of tools over a two week period.

Rant over.

Guess you never heard of Epiphone acoustics.

Being simplistic, I guess I was basing my comment on the name on the headstock. I prefer a completely different concept being called Epiphone. When most people see a guitar that says "Martin, they don't know if it's a $300 guitar or a $6000 guitar. At least when it says "Gibson" on the headstock- you know the guitar is not a cheapo built to compete with Fender, Yamaha and Luna.

Being simplistic, I guess I was basing my comment on the name on the headstock. I prefer a completely different concept being called Epiphone. When most people see a guitar that says "Martin, they don't know if it's a $300 guitar or a $6000 guitar. At least when it says "Gibson" on the headstock- you know the guitar is not a cheapo built to compete with Fender, Yamaha and Luna.

I believe in that comment and it stay's true as of late, I just hope Gibson doesn't follow suit in a nose dive to go like the way's Martin/Taylor and other major makers making somewhat a warranted rant for what they did. :rolleyes:

Yes Gibson has that clout for now.

Trans

For sheer authenticity, they should lock them in the smokers lounge for a few weeks, then pour beer on the case. Saloon tested.

Obviously a man coming from a rich past of experiences not unlike my own👍 I do, however, believe that most of the divas who'd buy a pre-beat guitar aren't inclined to appreciate the conditions which produced the honestly aged originals. They're more of a 'how do I get rid of that AWFUL smell' culture. You know: pu$$ies😯😧😱

Once i ding and bump or scratch by guitars? I go ouch and look at it with a cry look, but after all that i move on and what ever happens next if its a bump or ding? Doesn't hurt so much as the first time and i move on with life. Your own character means more that someone in the shop with a bag full of rusted keys banging on the top and edge to give it a make over so you can spend your hard earned moolah!

Trans

Archived