Gibson Brands Forums

Martin "Custom Shop Aged" Announcement

BluesKing777

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK...��

Taking a nice new guitar and making it look old seems silly to me. I get torrefied tops, I even get aging toner.

But I don't get this, and wouldn't pay for it.

Interestingly, I've been thinking of either buying a 1955-1965 (or so) D-28 for the Brazilian, or a used 1937 or 1941 D-28 Authentic for a lot less money, and probably better playability. But I'm not looking for something worn, except honest wear in a 50-60 year old guitar, not "fake" wear in a two-year-old guitar.

I've never owned a Martin dread, but it's always been on my list. And I turn 70 this week, so I can't put off things on that list for too long.

Quite a psycho-drama to watch these two decent advocates half proud half embarrassed over this, probably real good piece of neither bird or fish.

Guess Nazareth is aware of that new company (Pre*War Guitars co.) brought on here by jannusguy2 10 days ago.

The words 'conflict of the brain' are used at some point when talking interior/exterior.

Uaak, , , no way around it any way you look at it after choosing this road.

On a positive note, this should make us all happy for each and every single little real ding we achieved.

Also the clumsy ones not placed after a classic manual.

When I play my torrefied top Authentic, I often look down and expect it to look relic'd. Same with my new 000-17 Black Smoke - hardly any finish on that model and you hear the wood like an old guitar with no finish left. So they could both get a bit of a scratch or two, I think, not sure.

But I would take the D28 Aged. Not have to worry about dinging it - put a scratch and a ding on the Cargill and nearly lost all as I stepped over the guitar case.....

BluesKing777.

Been following the Pre War threads. And I watched all 14 minutes of this guitar you tube Martin demo, where they didn't play the guitars.

To each his own. I like my guitars to not look beat up, and I like them to have the good honest 18 months of wear that I can put on them before I move em along. :)

Interestingly, I've been thinking of either buying a 1955-1965 (or so) D-28 for the Brazilian, , ,

I've never owned a Martin dread, but it's always been on my list. And I turn 70 this week, so I can't put off things on that list for too long.

Goin' for the real deal would be a serious senior mission

Goin' for the real deal would be a serious senior mission

yes, a serious mission!

Front page of Carters has a 48 D28 re-topped for $5,750 if you are extremely quick:

https://cartervintage.com/products/martin-d-28-1948?variant=33135939907

or a 37 for $95,000:

https://cartervintage.com/collections/style-28-martin-guitars/products/martin-d-28-1937?variant=31066514243

BluesKing777.

Taking a nice new guitar and making it look old seems silly to me. I get torrefied tops, I even get aging toner.

But I don't get this, and wouldn't pay for it.

Interestingly, I've been thinking of either buying a 1955-1965 (or so) D-28 for the Brazilian, or a used 1937 or 1941 D-28 Authentic for a lot less money, and probably better playability. But I'm not looking for something worn, except honest wear in a 50-60 year old guitar, not "fake" wear in a two-year-old guitar.

I like genuine wear and vastly prefer the look of aging toner over the 'raw' look of untoned new Martins. However, the ersatz play wear on a virgin guitar escapes me as well. I wouldn't shell out x-tra cash for one, that's for sure. My bucket list calls for a Martin, too, but - as we're both aware - I'm a bit younger (Lol) and have a couple more days to be patient. Guess we'll both just have to hold on for a while and see what happens....

Well, once Martin starts, the rest will follow and Gibson not long after......maybe a J45 Relic coming? Love to be a fly on the wall at the Gibson HQ as they read the Martin doings.... [biggrin]

BluesKing777.

I think there's lots of stuff Martin has done that Gibson has not followed. Take their series of graphic guitars for example. The backpacker/travellers. The whole 'budget line' that goes for around $400.

Archived