Gibson Brands Forums

Midtown neck and fretboard

Suspiciousminds

I recently bought a pelham blue 2015 gibson midtown standard fitted with g force tuners.

Its a great guitar but am i wrong in thinking that this model didnt have the wide neck that other 2015 models had as standard?

It also doesnt have the "les paul 100" logo on the headstock either just the regular style of writing.

The fretboard also appears to be rosewood rather than richlite too.

I also have a 15' Vintage Sunburst Midtown. The price just kept coming down on it so you know.... I had to buy it. The added plus for me was that mine came straight from the factory with grovers so no gforce was ever on it. Just personal taste but I like the traditional look on this guitar. To your question, I also have a 15' firebird and can say the midtown's neck is not as wide but it is a little different in feel from my Les Pauls and I do believe the fretboard is in fact rosewood. That was another selling point for me as well. The script logo on the headstock not being the "Les Paul 100" signature may have been a result of the guitar being a LE run. Not positive about that but it would make sense. I personally love this guitar and the fact that it was under a grand with a case and everything listed above, it was well worth it. Hope you enjoy yours too.

Beerad

After looking at the specs on Gibson's website it looks like the 2015 Firebird and 2015 Midtown have the same slim taper neck profile with the following dimensions at the 1st an 12th frets. Firebird 1st: .800", 12th: .850" Midtown 1st: .800", 12th: .875". The 2015 Firebird specs/dimensions are the same as the new 2017 HP models for this year, and the 2015 Midtown specs/dimensions match the 2017 T models for this year. Additionally, based on backtracking some articles from the 2015 release it looks like the necks were widened .050" on both sides.

Beerad

• 4 weeks later...

I recently bought a pelham blue 2015 gibson midtown standard fitted with g force tuners.

Its a great guitar but am i wrong in thinking that this model didnt have the wide neck that other 2015 models had as standard?

It also doesnt have the "les paul 100" logo on the headstock either just the regular style of writing.

The fretboard also appears to be rosewood rather than richlite too.

A bit off topic but are you guys having tuning issues with your Midtown? I have a Midtown Custom that just will not stay in tune. It's driving me nuts, because I like the sound (when it's in tune), feel and I love the looks of the guitar.

I have plenty of other guitars without tuning issues so I don't think it's user error, I have an Ibanez Jet King I bought for 120 bucks in a pawn shop that never goes out of tune but my Midtown which cost just a little more goes out constantly. I tend to pick pretty hard but and I use thicker picks but I don't have this issue with my other guitars.

Anyway, did any of you have tuning issues with your midtowns and if so what did you do to correct the issue?

Thanks.

I guess I got lucky with my vintage sunburst 2015 midtown standard.It stays in tune for an acceptable time... I switched over to running an .18 wound G and adjusted intonation after setting it up to my liking and changed the Grover Rotomatics out for Gotoh SG301 sealed tuners. I have had quite a few Gibson's-(SG's and a Les Paul) over the years and this is easily the best playing and feeling of the bunch.

Maybe the nut on yours has slots not wide enough for your string gauge?

IMG_5444_zpsrfahrahk.jpg

I just remembered this after seeing SGgypsyboy's response. My Midtown came from the factory with Grovers on it. No robot tuners on mine. Not sure that has anything to do with it but my experience may be a tad different from others as I do believe the majority of these came with the G-force system.

• 1 month later...

I guess I got lucky with my vintage sunburst 2015 midtown standard.It stays in tune for an acceptable time... I switched over to running an .18 wound G and adjusted intonation after setting it up to my liking and changed the Grover Rotomatics out for Gotoh SG301 sealed tuners. I have had quite a few Gibson's-(SG's and a Les Paul) over the years and this is easily the best playing and feeling of the bunch.

Maybe the nut on yours has slots not wide enough for your string gauge?

IMG_5444_zpsrfahrahk.jpg

Maybe, or maybe the nut wasn't cut right. It really is frustrating.

I just bought a 2015 Midtown Standard VS and mine has grover tuners as well. I´ve been playing it several days and have hardly had to tune it. As to the the question about richlite fretboard, they are only on the Midtown Custom as I understand. Mine has rosewood. Anyway, very pleased so far. My first Gibson after being a strat guy for quite awhile. Must say that the feel of the midtown blows away the strat.

question for some of you who know more than me on electrics: My midtown standard had jazz strings on it (11s) when I bought it. They are very smooth but I notice the tone a little on the bass side. If I were to put normal strings on her and keeping the them 11s would any adjustment be needed? Thanks for your inputs.

Archived