Gibson Brands Forums

Any plans to reintroduce the Koa J-45 ?

ezra1

I almost bought a new one over a year ago.

I ended up passing.

Now I am getting a Jones for one, or a J-35.

I have a killer 1968 SJ but want an additional Gibson.

Obsessive / crazy huh ?

I've noticed and observed that Gibson is all full out getting into alternative/green woods and a bit of a boutique bling flavor.

Although I am partial to the maple/walnut after hog and rosewood. :rolleyes:

For me honestly? One KILLER BEATER and one SEXY BEAST will do in the end. [thumbup]

Peace!

Ezra, I absolutely LOVE mine. I grab it twice as often as the other 2 combined. I assume they would continue to be limited 'Custom Shop' runs of 50 - possibly for selected Five Star Dealers. I would guess it'll happen, you just need to keep your eyes glued to the internet. And, don't dismiss the possibility of a used one coming up, for example on the Guitar Center website for 'used' ones. Doubtful someone would buy one of these and not take great care of it.

Here's one now. Price a little high, but I believe they are always open to negotiating. Make sure you get the original case with it.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gibson/J-45-Koa-Elite-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar.gc

Good Luck !

Here is the Vine Koa that Dave was mentioning at Rainbow: Link

There are a couple of sunburst Koa's on eBay and Reverb currently, for a good deal les$.

The appearance of koa can range from the mundane to the dramatic, so look around. The Reverb listing from The Fret Shop is a little less costly than their eBay listing, and has nice wood selection.

Love the 'idea' of Koa more than the reality I have experienced so far. When new (on several Gibsons I've played like a Custom shop koa Hummingbird that included all the birds on the headstock and a J-200 koa) it's tonal quality sounds tight and compressed - albeit with some sweet sustain.

Still live in hope that a truly great one will cross my path at a time when I have guitar funds available but haven't found one yet. Sounds like one or two of you here have though.

Most people are turned off by koa initially.

They think it will sound as good as it looks right away...

But Koa needs patience to bloom and open up fully.

If you havw the patience to play it then it will reward you greatly

JC

+ 1 there Juan, unlike maple and or walnut. [thumbup]

Well said, Juan Carlos. Koa's appearance can give great expectations, especially when it looks like this 000-28K that got away; it's wavy 3-D around the bridge:

FullSizeRender%201_zpsfwyuyxbo.jpg

DSC04739_zps04za6qlk.jpg

Hopefully, what Juan Carlos suggested turns out to usually be the case. Another thing to keep in mind; Hawaii is getting fairly protective of it's Koa, and you know what happens when supply runs low.

Well said, Juan Carlos. Koa's appearance can give great expectations, especially when it looks like this 000-28K that got away; it's wavy 3-D around the bridge:

FullSizeRender%201_zpsfwyuyxbo.jpg

DSC04739_zps04za6qlk.jpg

Hopefully, what Juan Carlos suggested turns out to usually be the case. Another thing to keep in mind; Hawaii is getting fairly protective of it's Koa, and you know what happens when supply runs low.

Thats a Nice one..

I don't think I have enough room to hoard rosewood and koa. Maybe I can work out a deal with KSDaddy to clear out one of his ovation guitar bunkers and use it.

I think I like looking at koa more than I do playing it.

16055E1D-6255-4D8D-B0E0-17022BBCCB9A_zpszubkkoi3.jpg

IMG_0304_zpsf61a0516.jpg

It took mine over a year to really open up. It was tight, out of the box. I was a bit underwhelmed. But, research indicated that a koi b/s guitar would sound like a cross between Mahogany and Rosewood, so I expected it would get better. And, Wowsers - did it ever.

I almost bought a new one over a year ago.

I ended up passing.

Now I am getting a Jones for one, or a J-35.

I have a killer 1968 SJ but want an additional Gibson.

Obsessive / crazy huh ?

Ahahaha!!! Get a J35 you wont regret it but play lots first and get the one that calls out to yah!

Trans

I'd like to see one made of Tasmanian or Australian Blackwood. It's another acacia and looks a lot like koa, is more plentiful and many say it's more consistently good tonally. Seems that the way to buy koa would be to get an older one that's seen some playing time given how many comments about tightness I come across.

Hi there. I'm new to the forum. Been lurking for some time. I was inspired to finally post something by all the beautiful photos of Koa on this thread. Thanks for sharing everyone.

I'll try to post a photo of my Gibson J-45 Koa, but I don't see that option (on my phone, where the photo is).

- Spike

Archived