Gibson Brands Forums

What options do I have?

Kinsman

So I own a Les Paul Less+, 2015. I love everything about it, except the neck being a touch too wide for me. But seriously, love the rest of it.

What would a LP lover purchase if he wanted something with, say, a D shape neck?

Alternatively, would Gibson ever create a new version of those guitars, maybe HP versions and colors - or have they given up on the idea (considering they haven't reissued the custom lites either)?

Just looking for options within the LP family.

Thanks all!

You might try a LP custom with a 50s neck.

I have a 1956 spec LP Custom (think it's 2009) and the neck is superb. I love having more mass and depth due to the extra wood.

However there are many variations!

Yeah as mentioned above.. You probably want a 50s neck... The 60s neck are slim tapered.... They also do the asymmetrical neck on a fair few guitars now which means that its a bit fatter at the bass end and tapers down a bit to the top E end...

The 2015s necks were almost stupidly wide (well compared to what we all knew as a Gibson neck)... the HP line also has wider necks than the traditional ones but not as wide as the 2015s...

And as for if they will do another Less Plus range who knows.. I think they are really cool myself. The 2015s are going for a really good price at the moment.. If they didn't have those runway necks id be all over that.

As for what options you have, well that will depend on your price range.

Thanks for the responses guys! 50s neck, beautiful. I have a ZW Custom LP from about 20 years ago and it's my favorite neck ever. It's just really heavy and equipped with less versatile EMGs and I need that versatility now. For clarity, here's what I'm looking for, more specifically:

•  
  • I'd say budget would be 2k, give or take.
  • Weight is a factor for me. I'm getting older and our sessions go long (or rather, several hour long sessions per day) about 4 times a week. My back is struggling lately (though I've been stretching and such, still feel like I have to move to something lighter).

Thanks again!

Yup!

Strangely enough I think for your requirements (not too heavy and fat neck)... Id go for one of these... They really are great guitars if you don't mind the lack of bling (no binding or shiny finish)... Just throwing it out there (id say a Traditional model but those will be heavy)

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/160036963/2016-les-paul-studio-faded-3/?cat_id=285

How about a junior.. I love Juniors and Specials

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/160036191/2016-limited-les-paul-junior-2/?cat_id=21772

Strangely enough I think for your requirements (not too heavy and fat neck)... Id go for one of these... They really are great guitars if you don't mind the lack of bling (no binding or shiny finish)... Just throwing it out there (id say a Traditional model but those will be heavy)

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/160036963/2016-les-paul-studio-faded-3/?cat_id=285

How about a junior.. I love Juniors and Specials

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/160036191/2016-limited-les-paul-junior-2/?cat_id=21772

Thanks so much for the leg work, I'll certainly look into those. I've never played Studios or Jrs, but the weight is certainly where I'd like it to be. The lack of bling....might matter, not really sure, I hadn't really thought about it lol.

Also, sweet find on that retailer, I've never heard of 'em before.

Thanks so much for the leg work, I'll certainly look into those. I've never played Studios or Jrs, but the weight is certainly where I'd like it to be. The lack of bling....might matter, not really sure, I hadn't really thought about it lol.

Also, sweet find on that retailer, I've never heard of 'em before.

no worries.. that's what we are here for... :)

Ohh also I almost forgot.. if you don't mind a studio type guitar theres also the 50s tribute model.. Again a REALLY nice guitar

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/160100673/2016-les-paul-50s-tribute-high-performance-g-force-tuners-2/?cat_id=16755

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/160009920/2016-les-paul-50s-tribute-8/?cat_id=16755

And if you don't know.. Studios are made in the same place as the Standards.. Same people same electronics same methods... As I say, they just lack some of the bling of a Standard level model.. But every bit as much a Les Paul.. [thumbup]

Really though you must go and try them if you can and as many as possible.. each guitar (cos they are hand finished) are slightly different in set up and neck shape... So each one feels slightly different.

no worries.. that's what we are here for... :)

Ohh also I almost forgot.. if you don't mind a studio type guitar theres also the 50s tribute model.. Again a REALLY nice guitar

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/160100673/2016-les-paul-50s-tribute-high-performance-g-force-tuners-2/?cat_id=16755

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/160009920/2016-les-paul-50s-tribute-8/?cat_id=16755

And if you don't know.. Studios are made in the same place as the Standards.. Same people same electronics same methods... As I say, they just lack some of the bling of a Standard level model.. But every bit as much a Les Paul.. [thumbup]

Really though you must go and try them if you can and as many as possible.. each guitar (cos they are hand finished) are slightly different in set up and neck shape... So each one feels slightly different.

I think that's certainly the biggest challenge. Closest shop to me is a GC, and while the staff is really wonderful, it's nearly impossible to find a guitar I really want to try on the walls.

I think that's certainly the biggest challenge. Closest shop to me is a GC, and while the staff is really wonderful, it's nearly impossible to find a guitar I really want to try on the walls.

Yeah we get that a lot on here.. People who live in the middle of nowhere (or just somewhere where theres like one guitar shop in town)and have no choice but to take a chance and buy online...

Well at least the next time you go you will know a bit more what to look for....

Im in the UK yet I have heard many stories about how bad GC can be.. Id say it was worth a trip even if you have to drive for a bit.. Finding the right guitar is worth the effort I can assure you.. When you find that one (and there is one out there built just for you) you will know it instantly..

I have a 60s Tribute model.. When they came out (2011) there was like 8 colours and I liked about 5 of them.. So I went and tried as many as I could... The last one I tried (and I must have tried about 10 of them) was a goldtop and I handnt even considered one before I just tried it out of interest, and instantly from the first chord I played I knew it was mine. And I still love it today...

What about a custom lite??? The weight is right an so is the look an price, but not sure about the neck on these??? Someone here must have one??

Dudes, that might be perfect! The 50s neck is such a wonderful bonus! The price is on point, too. Might need to make some phone calls to zzsounds ;)

Well let us know what you decide on and of course we expect pictures :)

And if you have any other questions feel free to ask..

Absolutely will, thanks again. I've already got their number stored to make that call in the morning ;)

Kinsman, If weight is the issue and you said you are getting older as I have too. I have three Les Pauls, a standard plus, Custom, and Fort Knox. I got a SG standard a few months ago and it is a player for sure and ultra light compared to the LPs. I also have a couple of ES 335s that are a lot lighter also than the LPs. Go try a SG Standard, you'll see it's like having barely nothing on your shoulder, but it still has great tone and playability.

Kinsman, If weight is the issue and you said you are getting older as I have too. I have three Les Pauls, a standard plus, Custom, and Fort Knox. I got a SG standard a few months ago and it is a player for sure and ultra light compared to the LPs. I also have a couple of ES 335s that are a lot lighter also than the LPs. Go try a SG Standard, you'll see it's like having barely nothing on your shoulder, but it still has great tone and playability.

Out if curiosity what does your sg weigh?? And does anyone know how much the custom lites weigh??

OK, I'm getting a little confused. Kinsman started out saying he has a LP Less+, but the neck is too wide (I think that's what he means). I have a Les Paul Custom Lite and I thought they were the same model with a different name. But what I am gathering from this thread is that in 2015 when they made necks wider they made the neck on the Less+ wider as well.

Anyway my Custom light was built on 1/28/2013 and the neck is 1 11/16s inches wide at the nut and 2 1/4 inches wide where it joins the body (16th fret). It only weighs 7 pounds. It is ebony (only color available back then)Custom with gold hardware. Originally had only one tone control, plus a toggle switch for coil tapping. I had it modded adding the second tone control with a push/pull so it still has the coil tapping feature.

I have a new LP arriving tomorrow so I might sell the Custom Lite - PM me or email me at:jhintz208@charter.net if you are interested. My understanding is that the Custom Lite is now sort of hard to find and I thought the Less+ replaced it, but didn't realize they had a different neck profiles.

OK, I'm getting a little confused. Kinsman started out saying he has a LP Less+, but the neck is too wide (I think that's what he means). I have a Les Paul Custom Lite and I thought they were the same model with a different name. But what I am gathering from this thread is that in 2015 when they made necks wider they made the neck on the Less+ wider as well.

Yup.. They had the stupid wide 2015 necks that they put on everything that year...

In the end they were going so cheap I really wanted to buy one and would have done if it wernt for those silly necks.. The OP said he wanted a 50s neck and the Custom Lite has one.

Yup.. They had the stupid wide 2015 necks that they put on everything that year...

In the end they were going so cheap I really wanted to buy one and would have done if it wernt for those silly necks.. The OP said he wanted a 50s neck and the Custom Lite has one.

Yea, pretty much this. The Lites were done in 2013 and 2016 (going new for 1999 or used for about 1.3k (according to Reverb). Would definitely be interested in yours Twang. PM sent.

Anyway my Custom light was built on 1/28/2013 and the neck is 1 11/16s inches wide at the nut and 2 1/4 inches wide where it joins the body (16th fret). It only weighs 7 pounds. It is ebony (only color available back then)Custom with gold hardware. Originally had only one tone control, plus a toggle switch for coil tapping. I had it modded adding the second tone control with a push/pull so it still has the coil tapping feature.

I have a new LP arriving tomorrow so I might sell the Custom Lite - PM me or email me at:jhintz208@charter.net if you are interested. My understanding is that the Custom Lite is now sort of hard to find and I thought the Less+ replaced it, but didn't realize they had a different neck profiles.

The Less+ was only made in 2015. It was a unique model & didn't replace anything (as was its case).

Rabs: The extra wide necks were a bold but futile attempt to bring Gibson into the 21 century (or more specifically, away from 1959) [flapper]

Just wanted to update those of you that have been helping me out.

I called Gibson and confirmed the Custom Lite is the same shape neck that was on the original Custom Shop Zakk; looks like there's a new Gibson coming into my life soon!

Archived