Gibson Brands Forums

Phone Ap Tuner ?

Murph

My Boss TU-12 has been dying a slow, weird, unstable death to the point where I had to break out my 20 year old Seiko ST707 the other night, held together with duct tape for the last 10 years.

I'm giving lessons to a special needs kid and he has a cheap clip-on and the damn thing works better than my Boss did when it was new.

So I ordered a Fishman clip-on from Sweetwater, but it might not make it today so I'm gonna load a free one on my iPhone. Why have I not thought of this until this morning? My brain still thinks old school.......

How's the Plusadd Chromatic Lite?

What's YOUR choice.

I have tried about 3 or 4 of them just to see about it. They all seem to do the job in a pinch. One thing to note, if you try to intonate with them, you'll get varied results, they don't seem to handle that for some reason.

for clip ons, they do work good I've got three Planet Wave NS tuners, from various versions, and one of the newer Snarks. They work just fine.

The NS are nice because they are very small and discrete but have a bright screen and are pretty fast an accurate

When I really needs something accurate tho, (like setups/intonate checks) I use my Peterson VS1.

Ive got the free app - "p!us add tuner PTU-2" on my iPHone6. right now. The latest in a series as I've changed phones. It's OK, but I finally got as unhappy with it as it's predecessors and got a clip-on a couple of months ago. KLIQ Uber Tuner. I'm really pleased with it. The free app one I'd been using was tough to zero in, especially on Low E. The needle would jump all over the place. It had 3 sensitivity settings which seemed to do nothing. But, being Old School - it was much better than when I use to tune by ear.

Sn1 Snark (for guitar & bass) is least expensive than the super snark (for all instruments). I have compared the two, having the same results. I've tried phone app tuners, but have found less accuracy, especially with the "G" string being off. Of course snark (vibration) vs phone app (sound). SN1 is my preference.

I use a tuning fork.

That’s quaint. I’d like to raise a glass to anyone who’s ever had a tuning fork slip from their hand and fall, in what seemed like slow-motion, onto the top of their guitar. Clip-on tuners are nice in that you don’t have to ask everyone to please shut up so that you can tune.

Martin also has a free tuner app from their site. Gibson ought to have one of their own; they could bling the tuner app up with some animated hummingbirds that come out and hover when you’re in tune, etc.

As a backup, nice to have a tuner app on your phone in the rare event you ever find yourself in a guitar shop and find the guitar isn’t remotely in tune.

That’s quaint. I’d like to raise a glass to anyone who’s ever had a tuning fork slip from their hand and fall, in what seemed like slow-motion, onto the top of their guitar. Clip-on tuners are nice in that you don’t have to ask everyone to please shut up so that you can tune.

Martin also has a free tuner app from their site. Gibson ought to have one of their own; they could bling the tuner app up with some animated hummingbirds that come out and hover when you’re in tune, etc.

As a backup, nice to have a tuner app on your phone in the rare event you ever find yourself in a guitar shop and find the guitar isn’t remotely in tune.

Gibson does have one.

Gibson +StudioShare

So here's a question?

I got the (Plusadd chromatic Lite) ap and it works OK, but I'm wondering about the ads.

If I'm not in wifi will it pull ads from my data plan? What if I'm in the woods with no signal?

Do ALL of the free aps use ads to make them free?

A guess would be that the Plusadd works like Pandora- you will still have pop-up ads; the non ram stuff will already be loaded to the app. The Martin tuner app (Link) does not have any ads, and the lower right corner of the meter shows an actual measured frequency for the note (or double that for it’s 12th fret harmonic) being played- don’t know how accurate these Hz readings are, “my oscilloscope’s in the shop, waiting for some new Sovtek tubes”. ;). I did, however clip on two other tuners to the headstock; a Planet Waves micro tuner, and an Intelli tuner which has a display bright enough to help you walk around in a dark room.

Here are the frequencies for std guitar tuning:

String Frequency Scientific pitch notation

1 (E) 329.63 Hz E4

2 (B ) 246.94 Hz B3

3 (G) 196.00 Hz G3

4 (D) 146.83 Hz D3

5 (A) 110.00 Hz A2

6 (E) 82.41 Hz E2

The Martin tuner app was surprisingly accurate, and doing the math (2x the expected open string Hz for the 12 th fret) might expose some intonation issues for that string.

Although, personally, the mic-based &/or 1/4” input tuners have always picked up the bass guitars or the low E of the guitar better, the Planet Waves Micro clip-on tuner picked up the bass strings better than the other clip ons, without having to hit the 12th fret harmonic to get a good reading.

Gibson does have one.

Gibson +StudioShare

I guess Gibson has 2 - there is L & M Guitar

Its got a tuner, chord patterns, metronome. Haven't used it much for tuning only because its easier to throw on and see a Snark clip-on.

Archived