Gibson Brands Forums

2017 SG traditional wiring

SteveFord

So did you have one and take it out to look at or did you ask around? I have had gibson 2 sg standards. Both of them were fairly new models 2010 and a 2008. Both had analog wiring in them without a circuit board of any kind. I do not think I have played a new style circuit board guitar. I have read forums where guys take out the board to put them all back the analog way. They claim it made them sound better. I could not answer that but some of the guys on here could speak up if you are wondering and let you know. If you were considering doing it yourself, it is not hard to do, just do not get the volume or tone pots too hot while soldering on the grounds.

Just to reinforce what Dan82 said, I have 2017 SG Standard T, and I've had the control cover off a couple of times, and it definitely has a circuit board. This first time I took it off was to put a toggle washer on, and the second time, I was putting new knobs on and you can feel the circuit board flexing when you're pulling on the knobs. I thought I broke it, they were so hard to get off.

Archived