Gibson Brands Forums

Is this 1980 Gibson Les Paul Custom Real?

I'm going to check out a 1980 Gibson Les Paul Custom on Sunday. It's through a Private seller, so obviously there's the little voice in the back of your head saying 'what if she's a fake?'

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what I should be looking for or if you can tell by these pictures if she is indeed a fake?

The serial number is 81330647 which seems to check out.

Thanks

post-83591-030148700 1484919192_thumb.jpg

post-83591-049488500 1484919201_thumb.jpg

post-83591-045655400 1484919249_thumb.jpg

It was popular in the late 70s and early 80s to put brass parts on guitars. Many music stores sold brass nut blanks. Making a nut and doing a good job requires patience. This one was had a less than stellar outcome. Not to worry. A new bone nut, done right, will be a joy.

And don't believe the Norlin stuff. Yes, they can suck but I've had as many Henry era that sucked as bad or worse.

It was popular in the late 70s and early 80s to put brass parts on guitars. Many music stores sold brass nut blanks. Making a nut and doing a good job requires patience. This one was had a less than stellar outcome. Not to worry. A new bone nut, done right, will be a joy.

And don't believe the Norlin stuff. Yes, they can suck but I've had as many Henry era that sucked as bad or worse.

Very Steampunk. One of the first things I was planning on doing is swapping out the nut. Any recommendations? Or will any unbleached nut do?

Thanks

Welcome to this nice place in the web, Dave! [thumbup]

The nice LPC in question looks nice and as real as can be - except for the nut as said above. The run of the D4th looks quite displaced.

Very Steampunk. One of the first things I was planning on doing is swapping out the nut. Any recommendations? Or will any unbleached nut do?

Thanks

Steampunk... [biggrin] Seriously, unbleached bone will do. Bleached bone would be period-correct and probably still match the bindings better, but it depends on the bone blank's hue. All in all it's just a matter of taste I think.

Archived