Gibson Brands Forums

Unknown Acoustic

Kenny Dorman

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and would like to thank everyone ahead of time.

I just bought this guitar for $100 USD but could use some help identifying it. I have searched and searched but came up empty. I have inclosed some photos that will hopefully help in the aid of someone knowing the year and why there are stars in the neck. I first thought they were stickers, but they are defiantly NOT. Also, I have never seen a neck that says: Epiphone By Gibson. Thanks ahead of time and look forward to hearing everyones ideas.

Here is the links to the photos as they were too large to upload to the site:

IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

The model number is on the label inside. It is a PR-715. All the info I could find showed dot fret markers. IDK about the stars.

After doing research on the PR-715, it seems as though there was not many made, or am I just having a hard time finding the model. Any ideas on the year of the guitar?

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/PR-Series#PR-715

Has them made from 1981-1989. There is a web site that can take the serial number and give you the exact year and date yours was made.

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx

Enjoy it!

First and foremost I would like to thank you guys for the help. Using the web site provided resulted in "Not Found". Could this be a replica/fake? It sure plays like a high end guitar and it is in mint condition, all in all I guess I am more confused than anything. Again, thanks for your help.

I have looked at what Google and Epiphone Wiki has. I can't see any models with star shaped fret markers. A Korean made Epiphone is hardly worth counterfeiting. It certainly looks nice. If it sounds good to you, just enjoy it! Curiouser and curiouser.

Just remembered something interesting about the guy I mentioned. His name was ******* Joplin...he said Janis Joplin was his 3rd cousin. Not surprisingly, he had a zillion stories about her...sounded like she might have been a bit rowdy (says he with tongue squarely pressed against cheek).

Cheers! Enjoy that axe!

Dugly

Just remembered something interesting about the guy I mentioned. His name was ******* Joplin...he said Janis Joplin was his 3rd cousin. Not surprisingly, he had a zillion stories about her...sounded like she might have been a bit rowdy (says he with tongue squarely pressed against cheek).

Cheers! Enjoy that axe!

Dugly

Meanwhile... Share some stories?

An all-laminate PR-715 in natural finish. A few batches of them still had the transitional headstock with "Epiphone by Gibson®" on it. It looks like the star inlays were added (with Super Glue?) after the fact.

Manufactured February 1986 in Korea by the looks of it, but dating guitars from that era can be unreliable.

86(year)-02(month)-194(unit#)

The stars might well be add-ons. The 12-banger I remember also had them, however, making me wonder whether they might be original. Half the fun is speculation😒

The guitar plays like a dream, probably one of the best I have played. It is all original and the stars are actually inlaid. I am happy to have found this one, and the deep tones are remarkable. Thanks for all the help you guys and keep the kids playing as they are the future!

Archived