Gibson Brands Forums

Need some advise

brc

I basically stopped playing guitar when I had a stroke in 2011.

I lost most of my dexterity in my left hand.

I still like to collect and refinish guitars, but playing now is out of the question .

My brother has now started playing guitar( guess you are never too old to learn) and I am trying to explain to him he should look at some type of looper or drum machine to help him to learn tempo and get some kind of rythem .

So my question is can some one advise me on what would be the best option for him, some type of looper or drum machine for back up.?

Appreciate any advise or thoughts.

Hey Bill, metronomes are boring and loopers maybe be a steep learning curve for a newbie.

I would suggest a drum app on a smart phone, I have one called "Drum Loops HD"on my iPhone and it is great, it has pre-set tempos and styles.

Search YouTube for the Digitech Trio. There are several demos. I don't own one and have no interest in the company, but it sounds like what you're looking for and then some. It isn't cheap, but hey, it's a 3 piece band LOL.

Edit: spelling, again, duh!

Hey Bill, metronomes are boring and loopers maybe be a steep learning curve for a newbie.

I would suggest a drum app on a smart phone, I have one called "Drum Loops HD"on my iPhone and it is great, it has pre-set tempos and styles.

Thank you both.

I appreciate the advise.

Me being " old school " I thought a looper might be too advanced for him basically just starting out playing.

I can help with therory and tips, but it's a little difficult to explain a technic when you can't show how to play it.

Jorge, how is the little addition doing.

Kids are a blast, and I envy you .

Mine girls are grown with children of their own now, but you never out grow the memories.

Thanks again to you Surpup, to Riffster, and to Dennis G

I got one of these recently. BeatBuddy.

Its a pedal.

Its a drum machine.

Its a performance tool. Tap it for intro, verses, chorus, fills, accents, pauses, outro. (10 kits, 200 songs, all timings etc & you can create your own. MIDI sync.)

Folk have complained that its expensive, buts its a heavy duty piece of kit & it uses high quality samples.

Agree here with the 'old school' approach....

Worked extremely well with '000s of guitarists from '50's onwards when 'everybody' started to realise they could have fun playing skiffle, rock'n roll, blues, pop etc....[thumbup]

IMO and IMX loop pedals are of limited use....but others may find them inspiring and valuable....[unsure]

Start with some 3 chord standards from the likes of Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, Chuck Berry, Country and Western, Blues styles etc

Trawl the internet for chord sequences

Put a nickel in the nickelodeon.....and strum along to your heart's desire....[biggrin]

Have fun

Drink beer

Practice every day

V

:-({|=

Thanks for the tips and advise every one.

I down loaded an app last night that has numerous drum setups and you can add multiple drums, ( Tom-toms, snare, bass.brushes ,)the list is endless.

I think he will try the same app that I down loaded and start using that to help with his timing and rhythm .

All the tips and advise is very much appreciated

BTW, I have kinda the same difficulty with my left hand after a stroke... but plan to get back attit when I'm forced to "retire" from the day job. Initially I'd planned to "retire" earlier and play on weekends since there have been some solo venues available. The stoke kinda took that.

I dunno, I started using a metronome so long ago I just have a vague memory of it ticking while I tried to pick out something to the effect of "Grandpa Haydn's dead and gone..." on a piano keyboard with pre-kindergarten-age fingers. Used a metronome all through school for practice, and still functionally do so.

It ain't fancy, but I don't think it's all that frightening.

m

Archived