Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

Twang Gang

Photobucket is acting a little weird. I did the exact same thing on both posts, and on one I just got the URL and on the other got the actual photo. Sorry.

Anyway I have owned 5 different LPs and this is actually the first one that is a Standard. But the 2017 "Standard" isn't quite the same. This is known as a Standard T, which is not a "Traditional". You'd think they might want to differentiate the models a little more than calling one T and one a Traditional. But this one has "Ultra Modern Weight Relief" which makes it weigh in at 7 lbs, 13 ounces which I like. Both unplugged and through the amp it seems very resonant, and amplified you can really make it chime with the Burstbucker Pro pickups. The hardware is chrome which I like because I don't think it will tarnish like nickel or gold.

It also has 4 push pulls. The volume knobs pulled out will give you a "tuned coil tap" which sounds a little fuller than the old coil tap. The Neck tone knob pulled out gives an "out of phase" which sounds like just a little bit of phase shifter effect, and the Bridge tone knob pulled out is a Bypass which switches to the bridge pickup wide open. So no matter what pickup or combo of pickup you are using, tapped or not, dialed back on tone or not - pull that knob up and you are cranked :-({|=

Apparently Gibson is still hand shaping each neck. This is supposed to be a Slim Taper 60s type neck with a compound radius fingerboard. Well this particular "slim taper" is as chunky as any 50s neck I've had, and I think it may even be a little beefier than the 50s neck on my LP Lite. Not a deal breaker as all my LPs have had chunky thick necks, but was hoping this slim taper might be a little easier to play as the arthritis and hand cramps set in with old age - as to the compound radius fingerboard, I can't feel any difference with that either. :blink: So it may just be me - but I wouldn't pay extra for either feature if you can't tell them from any other LP neck - and as always if you can, go and play the guitar before you buy it because they seem to each have their own feel (not a bad thing IMHO).

Fit and finish are perfect can't find a flaw anywhere so hope to keep it that way as long as I can. Came set up very nicely - I may tweak it a little to my own preferences, but Sweetwater does a really nice job checking them over before they ship and it is ready to play out of the box. I rest my little finger on the body when I am playing leads so always put a pick guard on. This one comes with a pick guard in the case, but it is not the snap on kind. So the first thing you get to do is drill a couple holes in your brand new guitar if you want to avoid scratching the top [scared]

Nice locking Grover tuners that are the smoothest I have ever had to operate. I have Grovers on my LP Lite, but they are a different model and not the ratio or as smooth as these.

Some nicer case candy from Gibson this time around. Generic owners manual that doesn't tell you how the push/pulls work. A polish rag, a photo of your guitar on the work bench in the factory after it is all finished and someone plugs it in to make sure it works (pretty cool) but best of all a really nice multi-purpose tool with truss rod wrench, several Philips head screwdrivers, a flat head, and all the Allen wrench sizes for adjusting bridge etc. I would probably be willing to pay $10 to $15 for that tool in a hardware store, so kudos to Gibson for throwing one of those in. In my gig bag with my pedal, cables and stuff I always carried a few screwdrivers, wrenches etc, and I can clean all that stuff out of there with this nice multi-purpose tool. It may be a really small thing, but I think it is a huge step in the right direction for Gibson to include that. [thumbup] [thumbup]

So that's my review of the 2017 Standard T. I think it is a great axe and no quality issues at all.

http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/jhintz208/media/Guitars003_zps942e9271.jpg.html

I take it that this is yours? Is it a Taylor? Chrome binding?

Yes that is a Taylor Solid Body Custom which came out when they introduced their Solid Body Line in about 2007. This model with mini-humbuckers did not sell very well, so it has since been discontinued. The binding is not chrome just regular white color (photo just makes it shine or glare a little). Bob Taylor said he did not want to introduce solid body electrics if they were just going to be clones of Fender or Gibson so it's design and engineering are pretty unique. The pickups designed by Taylor as well as the circuitry, and the bridge. Body and neck are sapele with a walnut top. An excellent guitar but I sort moved back to my Gibson LP roots a few years after I got it and I don't play it as often as it deserves. Hoping since it's discontinued it will increase in value but you never know.

I'm tempted by the new range. What colour is this?

Honeyburst. The Bourbon Burst was what initially caught my eye and brought me to this model, but since I already have the Taylor which is dark brown, and since the Bourbon Burst seems to be out of stock most places I then saw this color and decided I liked it as much or more. It is not quite as yellow as the photos make it look - more of caramel and I like the way it blends with the binding, sides and back.

My opinion (which is worthless anyways)

that is a very nice top on that guitar.. I would not have put a pickguard on it at all.

I agree with you - it looked great without the guard. But I tend to scratch the finish where I rest my little finger and without the guard I would have scratched the top just below the strings, so to keep it nice I added the guard.

Congratulations on the new guitar.

You mentioned "I think it is a great axe and nothing like some of the nightmares I have heard about the 2014 and 2015 models." what's wrong with them? I know a lot of people didn't like the 2015 models for reasons already covered a multitude of times but there's nothing wrong with them if you like the features and what's wrong with the 2014's? I have a 2014 Trad that I wouldn't swap for a new one if only because of the pickups it came with.

Ian

Congratulations on the new guitar.

You mentioned "I think it is a great axe and nothing like some of the nightmares I have heard about the 2014 and 2015 models." what's wrong with them? I know a lot of people didn't like the 2015 models for reasons already covered a multitude of times but there's nothing wrong with them if you like the features and what's wrong with the 2014's? I have a 2014 Trad that I wouldn't swap for a new one if only because of the pickups it came with.

Ian

Sorry, an over generalization on my part. Heard a lot of problems on this and other forums about guitars having to be returned for various reasons. I never owned a 2014 or 2015 so shouldn't have said that and deleted it. Just was trying to say the quality is excellent.

Love it, really nice finish!

@Ian, the 14 Tradional is awesome and IMHO you can't beat the 59 Tribute pickups.

BUT, the 16 and 17 range have some things I would have liked on mine.

Especially the pickguard thing.

I would have loved to have the choice of having it on or off.

And I would have done a better job screwing it on.

The smarta$$ that did it on mine chipped the finish around the holes.

And since my first Lester was a satin finished without pickguard I learned quickly to avoid resting my fingers anywhere on the body.

Don't know for sure but if I remember right the at least the 16T's already have 50's wiring wich I prefere.

And I also would have loved to have all around 500k pot's, instead of 300k volume and 500k for tone.

The other thing isn't really important but since I'm a jealous bastard I would have liked all that nice case candy!

Anyway, enjoy that thing!

Archived