Gibson Brands Forums

I love my reissue '59 Gibson ES335, and have decided to sell my beloved

MulliganAl

USA Fender Telecaster Deluxe. With the funds I'd like to replace it with something that is different from my 335, but has somewhat similar playing characteristics. I play jazz, blues and a bit of rock and like the neck on my 335, so what other guitars will give me that similar neck but a different sound and feel from my now beloved ES-335? I've considered an SG or Les Paul but have never played either.

USA Fender Telecaster Deluxe. With the funds I'd like to replace it with something that is different from my 335, but has somewhat similar playing characteristics. I play jazz, blues and a bit of rock and like the neck on my 335, so what other guitars will give me that similar neck but a different sound and feel from my now beloved ES-335? I've considered an SG or Les Paul but have never played either.

Different, how? Tonality? If you like the Tele, you might like a LP Double Cut Special, with P-90's and a similar neck

to your 335! Or, an SG or Les Paul with P-90's. Those will still give you some "twang" and growl too, depending on

what your settings (amp and guitar) are. Best thing to do, is go out, and try out a bunch...Gibson's or otherwise. See,

up close and personal, what trips your trigger. [thumbup]

CB

You might like an SG with classic 57 pickups. Reaching the upper frets for chords is a breeze. I play similar types of music that you do plus American Standards and enjoyed owning an SG, and it is a little brighter than the American Deluxe Tele, which I still own. I sold the SG a while back to thin out my then collection of guitars, but if an SG deal came my way I'd buy it. I also own a double cut Les Paul, upper fret access is better than the standard LP but without a contoured back like your Tele it will not be as comfortable to play for long periods of time sitting down. The SG is super thin and easy to play standing or sitting.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to replace it with something that is different from my 335, but has somewhat similar playing characteristics.

As Charlie B says, you need to try a few. Please dont say that your yet another hermit who lives 12,000 miles from the nearest dealer! (there are so very, very many here). Who would have thought that every remote & hostile corner of the globe had a lone guitarist squatting there?

Since you've never tried an SG or LP, thats a good place to start.

PS

I only recently tried out a Tele for the first time. Was I was chastised about that? you bet :)

Archived