Gibson Brands Forums

Where do you keep your capo?

MartinL89

I'm not talking storage when you aren't playing, but when you're actually playing and you may need the capo during a set. Some capos can be stored on the headstock but others can't. With one I actually tried to clamp it over the nut but, of course it lead to string damping, if I clamp behind the nut, it will affect the tune of the strings. At this stage, the best solution seems to be just putting it on the amp or music stand. So, How do you store it when you aren't using it, but are going to need it?

I also keep picks everywhere, and backup cord, strings, and 9v in a backpack close by. Maybe I should relax more.

Nope. I'm a spare freak and always kept stuff scattered everywhere so if I needed it, it was handy.

It's called being prepared.

Usually on the music stand , or on the table beside my guinness, or clamped to the headstock.

Depends what type of capo I bring with me

Shirt pocket if there's a pocket there

I doubt you're going to get and revolutionary ideas with the question . There's limited things to do with a capo

I capo a lot when I gig. I always have my Planet waves NS Artist clamped to the headstock, and I always have a Shubb on a metal On Stage tray clamped to my mic stand.

I also keep pick everywhere, and backup cord, strings, and 9v in a backpack close by. Maybe I should relax more.

Nope, keep those spares, be that guy. Nothing but nothing blows the gig, ruins band relationships, and threatens potential future gigs quite like having to not go on on time because you are missing one stupid little thing.

Learned well, the very hard way, Bogey's Circle Tavern, Brooklawn NJ, 1976, and never forgotten.

rct

When I used Shubb capos they stayed in my arse pocket for easy access. Since I have been using yoke-style capos (Paige, Elliot, etc.) they stay on the headstock behind the nut for even easier access. No, they don't pull the strings sharp when snugged just enough to stay in place. And they are much less obvious and goofy looking in that position than those clothespin looking Kysers, and they don't mark up the headstock either. I do agree with EA that an acoustic guitar looks kind of like a billboard with a Kyser and a clip on tuner waving around on the headstock.

I just looked where I keep my fancy capo for that one Fleetwood song I play occasionally for the Mrs. It isn't there. So like all 50 capos I've owned in my life for that one Fleetwood song I play occasionally for the Mrs, it's gone. So I don't know where I keep it at this time.

rct

I keep my capos (a Shubb and/or a Paige) in my pocket or on a stool next to me when I'm playing. I HATE the look of a capo (or a tuner) clipped to the headstock. Really? You'd lose your capo or tuner if it weren't a part of your headstock?

Did I mention I HATE that look?

And aside from the Kyser's penchant for pulling the strings out of tune and being ugly as hell, when I want a manufacturer to shove their religion in my face, I'll buy their product.

rct - let me guess; Never Going Back Again? I almost have it down like he does it.... almost.

If you do I salute you.

Oh jeez no! But thanks for thinking that. Landslide, all the way back from when we was kids, and all the great mountains we dreamed of, to all the great mountains we've been to as we get geezerly, and the couple avalanches we've seen out in Yellowstone a couple times. That's about it for my any formal fingerpicking abilities I might have. I just flail at it.

I'm working on the intro to Crazy On You by Heart. I will get that one down, always wanted to.

rct

Archived