Gibson Brands Forums

How's it hangin?

rct

I recently commented in here that I had used the same two straps for decades, and that I had never needed a bunch of straps no matter how many guitars I have ever had. Proudly, too.

I used a strat over the weekend with the fellas. It had Hot Noiselesses in it, so I have to get them now. I also noticed that using his strat and my own I was not comfortable at all with the height, my usual strap that is about 25 now, hasn't moved height at all ever.

Did some experimenting this weekend at home using my other strap and my acoustic strap and came to a startling conclusion:

You are all correct, I need to get some more straps. You wouldn't think a couple inches between horn buttons and neck heel buttons would make that much a difference, but it does. Age too.

I like them Hots Noieslesses. The conversion of EJRW to rctRW is underway.

rct

You wouldn't think a couple inches between horn buttons and neck heel buttons would make that much a difference, but it does. Age too.

right on both...

I have a strap for every axe, stays in the case pocket. for comfort, and play-ability they gotta "fit" right,.. right?

How those guys who have their axes hung really low can actually get anything done on them is beyond me.

I guess I used my many teles as the gauge, so if I was comfy with that I was fine with the rest. I always liked it a tad low, but not Page or that Top hat guy low, only a little low. But that appears to be too low for strat, and a tad too high for SG and 'splorer. I found these guys, so I can fly my Project Runway flag and get matching colors for all my guitars!

Nice colored real leather straps!

Sweet!

rct

I've always had a strap for each guitar that stayed in the case.

I've had two custom straps made recently. My thought was that I could have one with the strap lock on "normal" and one with it on "Reversed" for the two styles and be done with it.

What I've learned is that it doesn't work that way. Strat, Tele, LP, Explorer all take the same strap "orientation", but I learned that each one liked a slight difference in length........very subtle, but enough to matter to me.

My plan is to still go with one for each, but I may try to set up "the LP strap", "The Tele strap", etc. So as to not need one for each LP and so on.

NHTom

Although most are leather and could be interchangeable, I have a strap for each guitar, each with its own set of locks. All of my guitars hang to about the same height and are the same height whether I'm sitting or standing. The guitars stay in the cases when not in use, and the straps hang on the back of my music stand.

For a long time I used one of the cheap Ernie Ball straps or the cheap Gibson straps. Never had any problem with either, so didn't bother looking at the higher priced ones. About 15 years ago I started using a slightly more expensive heavier duty Levy's strap for my more expensive guitars. Recently I discovered DSL straps who are an Australian company that make some really nice ones. Very impressed...I realised I had been missing a good high end strap all these years! However, most of the time I play sitting down lately (at home and for gigs) so rarely use a strap.

To answer the question "Kind of like it always does unless the wife get near it"

Yeah, but...

I have a strap for each guitar in my "collection", each one adjusted to keep the same "feel" if you will, to standing or sitting. And I'm sort of a "high" position kind of guy, and not really caring how "cool" it may look otherwise, especially as I get older and things change, you know?

Other than that, thangs are fine. [biggrin]

Nice colored real leather straps!

Sweet!

rct

Those prices are insane. Great deals there.

I don't keep a strap per guitar. I have quite a few though - some adjusted to LP height, Strat height, and Tele height - and one with the front strap lock reversed for SGs. I keep a couple stuck in the gig bag too. Easier that way to me than keeping one for each.

Basically when I see a strap I like, I buy it.

Those prices are insane. Great deals there.

I don't keep a strap per guitar. I have quite a few though - some adjusted to LP height, Strat height, and Tele height - and one with the front strap lock reversed for SGs. I keep a couple stuck in the gig bag too. Easier that way to me than keeping one for each.

Basically when I see a strap I like, I buy it.

Man. Here's a guy I was sure I trolled with the Hot Noiselesses. I'm disappointed!

rct

I think it is amazing how big the guitar strap market is.

I had only two straps for a few years then I bought a few more, nothing fancy, depending on the guitar and neck shape since I can hang a slimmer neck guitar lower.

Coincidentally I was looking for one for my Les Paul today. I use the same strap with my Explorer and the reversed lock simply is not a match.

The weirdest thing is that last month I went in for dry needling therapy on my neck and holy cow if it wasn't game changer, an immediate game changer. My neck and arms have changed so much I cannot explain or get used to it and I have been adjusting strap heights.

It's funny since I bought the two Fender's I understand that thing rct mentioned often: leather strap suede side out, and slipery in contact with body. Makes sense since I tend to move them much more than my Lester's.

Now I have two woven Fender straps wich slip nice.

And for the Lester's I prefere them to stay in one position so one leather with suede inside for the Cherry and a faux leather with faux suede for the Trad.

I know, I'm a weird guy!

Archived