Gibson Brands Forums

Gearing Up

Buc McMaster

After much research and pondering I decided on the gear I'll need to be part of a local band as a rhythm guitarist and additional voice. Being retired and getting older by the day I've got the bucket list down to just one thing: play out live while I still can. All will be here by the end of the week.......

Schertler David Deluxe. This was apparently the last one of these available in the States as it has been discontinued by Schertler. The standard version of the David amp is still in the line up but it does not have the features and controls of the Deluxe model. No on-board effects other than the internal spring reverb, no digital circuitry, 150W and at only 28# highly portable. Schertler says this one is the product of their engineers being given free reign to build the best acoustic amp they could and was discontinued due to manufacturing costs. It will be here Thursday......

K&M Speaker Stand. For the David Deluxe to sit on, at about waist-level........it has a stand socket in the bottom.

Telefunken M80. A dynamic mic with the response of a condenser for live vocals. Always been a sucker for a good microphone and while I have no experience with this one, Telefunken does build good stuff and I'm game for experimentation!

George L Cables. Silly, you might say, but if you haven't used one of these guitar cords you are definitely missing out. I was a naysayer myself until I first used one several years ago when I was playing out. The difference is stunning.......won't use anything else now. I wish they made microphone cables.

As the open mic thing continues I am more and more relaxed and confident.......I will be ready when the opportunity arises! Off we go into the wild blue yonder!

...George L Cables. Silly, you might say, but if you haven't used one of these guitar cords you are definitely missing out. I was a naysayer myself until I first used one several years ago when I was playing out. The difference is stunning.......won't use anything else now...

All Good Stuff, you will sound great! Think about wireless though. I went wireless last year after decades of piisshawing it, they were so bad back then. Much MUCH better today.

Good luck with it!

rct

Think about wireless though. I went wireless last year after decades of piisshawing it, they were so bad back then. Much MUCH better today.

yea what he said..

been playing untethered for a few yeas now. aint nuthin like it!

I've been using a line 6 G30... it's okay,, the transmitter/belt clip design is pure crap however, so ... I'd have a hard time giving it three thumbs up

but it' WORKS and SOUNDS very good,... AA battery life is decent.

?? What you scared of, Trans?

The amp will work with either the Hummingbird (Schertler DYN-G-48P contact mic) or the Dove (K&K Pure Mini).

Ahahaha!...not scared sir Buc, just wondering all that to gear to make a Hummingbird/Dove sound better? [thumbup]

I thought these 2 birds sounded nice if not awesome already the way they are? To each his own here !

I just plug in and dial all raw and the way the bird should sound that's all.

@ kidblast > Congrats if this is the way you will get a better sound for your acoustic. Let us know how it turned out, cant wait for the update brother.

Trans

The Schertler amp arrived today..........damaged in shipment. Dammit. The thing was not packed well at all and the box showed evidence of impact. In addition to the cabinet damage the spring reverb does not work at all, likely a result of the impact. Bummer. Contacted the seller and was offered $250 off to keep it and go to Schertler for a warranty repair of the reverb..........no, thanks. So the wheels are turning to return it to whence it came.

The Schertler amp arrived today..........damaged in shipment. Dammit. The thing was not packed well at all and the box showed evidence of impact. In addition to the cabinet damage the spring reverb does not work at all, likely a result of the impact. Bummer. Contacted the seller and was offered $250 off to keep it and go to Schertler for a warranty repair of the reverb..........no, thanks. So the wheels are turning to return it to whence it came.

Dang! So sorry Buc.

Bummer! Plus!

A case of marketing versus the reality? Last one in existence too, wasn't it?

What about an AER 60 combo - very popular high quality acoustic amps (we are told)?

BluesKing777.

So what's your next move?

Well I'm about to pull the trigger on my second choice: Fishman SA-330X. Good rig as well. Used to have an SA-220, the prior incarnation of the amp. I went for the Schertler for a couple reasons.... Firstly, the Schertler is a very, very good acoustic guitar amp, my primary requirement for joining a band that has a PA system already. And, since I don't have any intention of going out solo beyond doing open mic nights, I figure an amp for the guitar is all I need (though the Schertler would do a vocal mic as well). But, having crapped out on the run at the Schertler, my second choice was always the Fishman tower thingie as I've had good experience with the product before.

Further emboldened, I plan to go do a short set with my friends' band tomorrow night at the honky tonk that first got me on this "play out" kick.

Been a/b'ing the Fishman Loudbox along with the AER 60 Combo(pricey) and I am leaning towards the AER.(on order)

The Marshall ASD50 has been my go to acoustic amp for the longest time since it came out. Time for a change/back up. [thumbup]

Trans

Been a/b'ing the Fishman Loudbox along with the AER 60 Combo(pricey) and I am leaning towards the AER.(on order)

The Marshall ASD50 has been my go to acoustic amp for the longest time since it came out. Time for a change/back up. [thumbup]

Trans

I made the switch from the AS100D to the AER Compact 60. I think the Marshall is great, but its still night and day compared to the AER, its just majestic, both for guitar and vocals.

Sorry about your amp choice...

I also think the Fishman products are great. I would probbaly go with the Loudbox Artist for your needs and wants.

I'm surprised you didn't advise the stick amp ?

Not that there's anything wrong with the loudbox , just soloamp gives buc the opportunity to use it as a solo performer , unless you're playing to a seated crowd an amp can be awkward to get the sound over folks heads

, unless you're playing to a seated crowd an amp can be awkward to get the sound over folks heads

Not really. You can place it on a chair or use that little amp stand on the floor that is tilted 30% upwards. Most decent amps will be able to project well and fill a room, the AER absolutely excels at this.

Not really. You can place it on a chair or use that little amp stand on the floor that is tilted 30% upwards. Most decent amps will be able to project well and fill a room, the AER absolutely excels at this.

Hmmm

I'd still grab the soloamp 😊

Works as a monitor also as it stands behind you

Hmmm

I'd still grab the soloamp 😊

Works as a monitor also as it stands behind you

Im sure its a great amp also, never used it. Portability is also a consideration. With the AER one of the winning drawcards was just how small it was and how much quality output it was able to generate. After i finish i put it back in its little carry pack, and put it over my shoulder as i leave the venue.

You know, back in the late 90's I thought Gibson was going to get serious about acoustic amplification when they bought Trace Elliot. It really wouldn't have taken a whole lot of tweaking to have been one of the Major Players in this field by now.

There were also some serious tube amps in the works, and that's not exactly rocket science either.

Trace Elliot ended up in the hands of Hartley Peavey, who has lost ALL credibility in the last few decades becoming an importer of cheap Chinese crap. Some of the Meridian stuff was legendary back in the day.

I wish Gibson would have further pursued the venture.

Geez but sometimes options suck! Yes, I read good things about the AER 60.......but I've also read that is suffers from being too small and sounds a bit boxy and thin.......any comments on this from you that own one? The Slope 60 version looks interesting.......same amp in a monitor style cabinet. They are so small though.......not much bigger than a good size lunchbox. The Fishman Loudbox Artist looks pretty good as well, but they strike me as cheaply built, cheap materials.......no? I did plug the Dove into one at the store when I picked out the guitar......sounded okay as I remember. But I keep coming back to the SA Fishman amp........mostly because of prior experience with the 220 model.

I do have a bit of time to decide...............

Archived