Gibson Brands Forums

Gearing Up

Buc McMaster

Geez but sometimes options suck! Yes, I read good things about the AER 60.......but I've also read that is suffers from being too small and sounds a bit boxy and thin.......any comments on this from you that own one?

'Thin' would probably be the last descriptor that I would use for the AER 60.

But remember Buc, it aint American, your new president might disapprove .. ;-)

Here's a couple vids indoors and in a gig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtWHsucJd4A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COEnMV3UPog

Does the AER have a speaker stand socket on the bottom?

Just took a look, yep, it does. Im glad you asked, as i was not aware of it, that will become handy. Normally i place it on the angled floor stand.

btw: that live gig vid, the master volume on AER was set at 3.5 / 10

When I played out with the little group there were three of us , all with a mic and a guitar

We used a 500 watt PA system , sure it was a behringer , not exactly rolls royce of the sound world . 2 speakers up on poles.

We played pubs with about 100 odd people in it. Maybe 150 sometimes. It worked but there were points in a longer shaped bar that folk at the far end said they could barely hear us , or we could turn it up a bit. We couldn't really turn it up much more

I've seen the fish man in action in the same bar coping quite admirably.

I've seen a guy with a 50W Marshall in a smaller pub that was quite full and it just didn't cut it at all. He had to ring someone and get help with more speakers

I know it's not all about wattage , but it is to a certain extent

I'd quite happily get a loudbox or one of those aer Amps or equivalent if I was playing restaurants and coffee shops , but I'd rather fork out and have something that had the extra poke if I needed it than ever being offered a gig and be underpowered equipment wise. I'd be expecting not to asked back

Maybe Irish pubs are very rowdy ?!

But I'm definitely no expert here , just trying to learn from all you guys

Just took a look, yep, it does..........that will become handy.

Yes sir. Getting the amp up off the floor goes a very long way toward projection and room coverage. Glad to hear this little amp has one.

One other piece of gear that I highly recommend is a small compressor, like the Keeley 4-Knob. Not an effect, per se, but a tone enhancer that puts a studio-like shine on the guitar tone. Makes a dramatic difference in how the guitar comes across. When dialed in correctly most folks wouldn't know it was there......until you switch it off.

Thanks for the input, fellas...........I'm still pondering.

I made the switch from the AS100D to the AER Compact 60. I think the Marshall is great, but its still night and day compared to the AER, its just majestic, both for guitar and vocals.

You hit the nail on this one mate! Up and until the AER, it was the Marshall I have been using over all the other hi-lo end acoustic amp. If I were to get a Fishman Loudbox? I might as well stick to the Marshall [biggrin] (just me)

The Marshall ASD50 is now my backup and still can hold amongst the rest per say and if you need more volume? you can always use the house via board no sweat. Great acoustic amp, even if you can get a used one is worth the price. Mine is a keeper and in looks damn good as well. [thumbup]

Buc, the loud box Artist or Pro seems would be a good choice for something portable and easy in/easy out,

I have tried one at our local music store. They voiced nicely for acoustics and have a lot of thoughtful options for mixing, output to different external sound sources and dialing in the on-board effects (which you probably don't care much about, me, just give me a bit of reverb and I'm good)

I can't speak for how rugged they are, Sal has used them I think, he may be able to help there.

BTW,

I've been using a (now discontinued) Fender Acoustasonic Jr DSP which I have had since 2006. (Similar to the newer one you were demoing with) I think it's 60 watts, with 2 8 inch drivers and a high end peizo. Sort of like the one you were trying but a bit older. they show up on Ebay from time time for around 2bills.

Yes there a lot of options these days for acoustic amplification.........maybe too many! Been playing with this Schertler amp........sounds very, very good, even without the reverb functioning.......I am as impressed as I thought I would be. The seller shot me an email saying they found another David Deluxe in the warehouse (whatever that means!), brand new in the factory box. Though I am spooked by this outfit's packing methods, if it is indeed in the factory packing it might arrive okay. And it is a fine amp.......... The speaker stand I ordered sets the thing right up there nicely.

IMG_1867_zps9ckjwev4.jpg

So now I am debating whether or not to trust these guys shipping another amp.............

When I played out with the little group there were three of us , all with a mic and a guitar

We used a 500 watt PA system , sure it was a behringer , not exactly rolls royce of the sound world . 2 speakers up on poles.

We played pubs with about 100 odd people in it. Maybe 150 sometimes. It worked but there were points in a longer shaped bar that folk at the far end said they could barely hear us , or we could turn it up a bit. We couldn't really turn it up much more

Then in this case it is the fault of the venue, in that they should have a PA and some speakers connected to it that go to the front of the bar. I played an Irish put in Prague that is loong and narrow. But they have speakers hanging out the front, otherwise the stage speakers would be so loud the performer would go deaf.

Well I'm really digging the sound of this amp. Here's a short, part-of-a-song demo with the Dove. Listening back I might need to dial down the low a bit on the guitar and a little of the highs on the microphone, but it does sound pretty natural to me. I'll add a compressor to the guitar signal for a good polishing. What do other ears think? Pardon the wife beater tee.......it's a bit warm here in Texas today..........

Schertler Rig Test

Like the Telefunken mic. It does not have near the proximity effect of an SM58.........I like that since I like to work close to the mic without the low mids and bottom getting thick.

Then in this case it is the fault of the venue, in that they should have a PA and some speakers connected to it that go to the front of the bar. I played an Irish put in Prague that is loong and narrow. But they have speakers hanging out the front, otherwise the stage speakers would be so loud the performer would go deaf.

You're on a different planet to me

Bars here don't have PA's

Yes there a lot of options these days for acoustic amplification.........maybe too many! Been playing with this Schertler amp........sounds very, very good, even without the reverb functioning.......I am as impressed as I thought I would be. The seller shot me an email saying they found another David Deluxe in the warehouse (whatever that means!), brand new in the factory box. Though I am spooked by this outfit's packing methods, if it is indeed in the factory packing it might arrive okay. And it is a fine amp.......... The speaker stand I ordered sets the thing right up there nicely.

IMG_1867_zps9ckjwev4.jpg

So now I am debating whether or not to trust these guys shipping another amp.............

Nearly time for a GruvGear V-Cart Solo to lug it all!

http://www.gruvgear.com/vcart-solo

BluesKing777.

........there were points in a longer shaped bar that folk at the far end said they could barely hear us , or we could turn it up a bit.

It's been my experience that most folks that spend an evening at the pub/bar/honky tonk are there to schmooze with their friends, perhaps make some new ones......and drink. Music for them is background noise, be it recorded music or live. There are of course those that do come for and want to hear live music. Those that fit that description will find a way to get in a position to hear what's happening on stage. The rest would rather the music not be in their face so they can gossip and chitty-chat. I've never thought it was necessary to fill an entire room with perfect sound levels......at least with the stuff I've done in the past and hope to do in the future.

It's been my experience that most folks that spend an evening at the pub/bar/honky tonk are there to schmooze with their friends, perhaps make some new ones......and drink. Music for them is background noise, be it recorded music or live. There are of course those that do come for and want to hear live music. Those that fit that description will find a way to get in a position to hear what's happening on stage. The rest would rather the music not be in their face so they can gossip and chitty-chat. I've never thought it was necessary to fill an entire room with perfect sound levels......at least with the stuff I've done in the past and hope to do in the future.

I agree totally.

My point was , that our gear couldn't . Not that I wanted to.

Archived