Gibson Brands Forums

SG Standard Strap Button Screws

bnzps

Hi all,

Just become the proud owner of my first Gibson - an SG Standard from 2001.

It's in nice condition, but came without the strap buttons screwed in. I know the screws are generally different lengths (bottom screw longer than neck screw, right?).

I'm wondering does anyone know the actual lengths the screws should be? The ones I was provided with seem quite long and I don't want to try screwing in incorrect length screws.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks

I assume the screw holes are there??? the screw length can be deceiving. once it's in the strap button, it probably wont seem as long to you.

Take a tooth pick put it in the screw holes and mark the tooth pick at the top of the body,

to check the depth against the screw, Put the screw in the strap button, and see how the length matches up where the mark is on the tooth pick.

I assume the screw holes are there??? the screw length can be deceiving. once it's in the strap button, it probably wont seem as long to you.

Take a tooth pick put it in the screw holes and mark the tooth pick at the top of the body,

to check the depth against the screw, Put the screw in the strap button, and see how the length matches up where the mark is on the tooth pick.

Thank you! Thats some sound advice - will give it a go.

Archived