Gibson Guitar Board: Testing MIDI scripts - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Testing MIDI scripts Are there tricks to load and test faster?

#1 User is offline   Raf VDM 

• Group: Members

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:46 AM

I'm a newbie Deckadance user.
As the Numark DJ2Go script on this forum does not comply to my needs, I am building one from scratch.
When ready, of course I will share.

It is quite cumbersome when testing Midi Scripts.

To compile and load a modified version, one has to
  • open Settings,
  • select Midi Control,
  • change the Control Surface to any other mapping,
  • change the Control Surface back to the right mapping.
This really adds up in a lot of unnecessary lost time and frustration, especially to someone like me who is not that experienced in scripting!

Isn't there some trick to recompile and load the modified current mapping in almost one click or button press?

Also, sometimes one little error results in dozens of error messages that can only be clicked away one by one.
This too adds up in a lot of unnecessary lost time and frustration!

Isn' there a way to exit immediately (or continu while not showing the remaining messages)?

Thank you,
Raf

#2 User is offline   TheMoroney 

• LocationUSA

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:30 PM

View PostRaf VDM, on 24 January 2017 - 06:46 AM, said:

I'm a newbie Deckadance user.
As the Numark DJ2Go script on this forum does not comply to my needs, I am building one from scratch.
When ready, of course I will share.

It is quite cumbersome when testing Midi Scripts.

To compile and load a modified version, one has to
  • open Settings,
  • select Midi Control,
  • change the Control Surface to any other mapping,
  • change the Control Surface back to the right mapping.
This really adds up in a lot of unnecessary lost time and frustration, especially to someone like me who is not that experienced in scripting!

Isn't there some trick to recompile and load the modified current mapping in almost one click or button press?

Also, sometimes one little error results in dozens of error messages that can only be clicked away one by one.
This too adds up in a lot of unnecessary lost time and frustration!

Isn' there a way to exit immediately (or continu while not showing the remaining messages)?

Thank you,
Raf

Hay Raf,

As the original developer of the DJ2GO script, let me know what you need and I might be able to throw together a custom script for you.

As far as some of the little annoyances of scripting, there really is no way about avoiding them (Believe me I have tried). The easiest solution I found was to have the destination folder open, have deckadance set up to automatically search for the script upon loading, and have a second copy of the script on your desktop that your working from, and just copy and paste the script back and forth. You still need to prelaunch deckadance every time a change is made to the script but it did seem to improve workflow. If your writing the script using a tool like notepad++ or any of the versions of Microsoft's Visual Studio, the little messages can actually be helpful because they will tell you exactly what line of code the error occurred in.

Also I did work on a streamlined version of the script last night that I have yet to upload. Let me know what I can do to help.
Author of the Numark DJ2GO script for Deckadance
Author of the Numark Orbit script for Deckadance
Author of the updated version of the script for the M-Audio Xponent
Deckadance user since 2014
FL Studio user since 2013
The Unofficial Numark and M-Audio Script writing person.

#3 User is offline   Raf VDM 

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:58 PM

Thank you, TheMoroney.

I use notepad++ and the messages help, of course.
It's just that when one knows a } is missing, there is no use in reading or clicking away the 88 messages that result from that silly mistake, right? :-)
So we have to do with what we've got.

I'll keep in mind your workflow.
At this moment I try to keep the Settings panel open as much as possible, the controller remains functional at that moment, that also helps.

I'm afraid that my current script is so different from yours, that there is little use in me telling you what I need.
Please understand me well, I do not dislike your script, it's just that I turned over in a totally different thinking path that covers my way of working.
My solution will certainly not be a replacement of yours, merely an alternative for certain users (or only me).

If I tumble in some issues I can not resolve, I am glad that you are willing to help me.

Thank you again,
Raf

#4 User is offline   TheMoroney 

• LocationUSA

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:08 PM

View PostRaf VDM, on 24 January 2017 - 12:58 PM, said:

Thank you, TheMoroney.

I use notepad++ and the messages help, of course.
It's just that when one knows a } is missing, there is no use in reading or clicking away the 88 messages that result from that silly mistake, right? :-)
So we have to do with what we've got.

I'll keep in mind your workflow.
At this moment I try to keep the Settings panel open as much as possible, the controller remains functional at that moment, that also helps.

I'm afraid that my current script is so different from yours, that there is little use in me telling you what I need.
Please understand me well, I do not dislike your script, it's just that I turned over in a totally different thinking path that covers my way of working.
My solution will certainly not be a replacement of yours, merely an alternative for certain users (or only me).

If I tumble in some issues I can not resolve, I am glad that you are willing to help me.

Thank you again,
Raf

No worries. I did just get the modified and updated script online. Let me know if it is similar to your style of coding and if it flows a bit better as far as code understanding (from one script writer to another).
Author of the Numark DJ2GO script for Deckadance
Author of the Numark Orbit script for Deckadance
Author of the updated version of the script for the M-Audio Xponent
Deckadance user since 2014
FL Studio user since 2013
The Unofficial Numark and M-Audio Script writing person.

#5 User is offline   Luis Serrano 

• Group: Gibson Pro Audio

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:17 PM

We should improve the script creation workflow, what happens is that only a couple of persons have been interested in creating scripts since the release of this feature, so that, improving this area has been always low priority. Said this, I have been thinking to add a proper MIDI script editor with a better error handling instead of using an external one (...notepad or full IDE).

#6 User is offline   Raf VDM 

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:34 AM

Luis,

I can understand that only a few people are interested in creating scripts.
And for those who do, I'm sure they will never be occupied in doing so full time.
Take me for an example ... I'm currently investing quite some time in my scripts, but as soon as they are finished, I will not easily start over again, unless I buy myself a new controller.
So why invest a lot of time in a proper script editor (unless for the satisfaction)?

Just an idea ...
Can't you allow DD to run with an optional argument, something like "Developer Mode".
When the argument is set, DD could continuously check the active script files.
Script developers remain free to use the editor they prefer and when the script is saved, DD's "Developer Mode" detects the change and compiles and loads the new version automatically.

If it bothers anyone that in this way scripts are edited in the standard folder, an alternative folder could also be passed through argument.
But it does not bother me.

#7 User is offline   Luis Serrano 

• Group: Gibson Pro Audio

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:29 AM

Raf VDM said:

So why invest a lot of time in a proper script editor (unless for the satisfaction)?

Basically for myself, but I'm not creating scripts lately, so that, what you said makes sense.

Raf VDM said:

Just an idea ...

It's interesting. Another one would be to create a "secret" keyboard shortcut that once executed would reload all the scripts in use (i.e.: "CTRL + S").

#8 User is offline   Raf VDM 

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:27 PM

I can absolutely live with the secret shortcut [thumbup]

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users