Gibson Brands Forums

Problem with Gibson Case

nickvz

Hi everyone,

I just bought a Gibson Midtown Deluxe from Musician's Friend about 10 days ago. Beautiful guitar and it plays wonderfully. The day I got it, I inspected it for any damage that could have been done in shipment, and there was none, even the Gibson cardboard box didn't show signs of damage. I take out the guitar case, its mostly all good, no structural problems, just a few glue joints that appeared uneven and you could se the wood of the case, nothing I can't live with. It was the week before my college classes started so I didn't have much time to play the guitar, so it stayed in the case, in my closet laying on its side. Today when my classes started, I took it for the first time with me outside(Music major), and when I stopped to talk with someone, I noticed that I wouldn't stay upright, it would lean towards the front and fall if i were to let go

(which I didn't). I didn't think much of it at the moment, I figured maybe since its a fairly new model, Gibson hasn't figured out the proper weight balance, so it can stand vertically. Nevertheless once I got home, I wanted to check if maybe one of the metal feet fell, or was bent. But when checked the bottom of the case, it was split open, not completely as to make the guitar fall, but enough to put my pinky finger between the two wood pieces "glued" at the bottom. Also the black leather-like material that was not fully glued, was now bigger and more notorious on the bottom, and it had also cracked in the same place the wood had split.

It has not sustained any type of distress, It went from my closet, to my lap as I got in the taxi, to the carpet floor of my classroom, back to my lap in the car, and then to my bed to examine it. And for all the missing time in that timeframe, it was floating in the air as I was carrying it by the handle while walking.

Does Gibson offer a warranty on the guitar case? What should I do? The midtown is not a common shape, so even finding an upgraded case will be difficult. Not to say a case should not have this type of issues. My other Gibson, that I purchased about 15 years ago, came on a similar looking case, yet it has withstanded all these years with not as much as a tear on the leather-like fabric, and it has even endured 5 flights as a checked luggage piece(against my will, but as an only option), yes it has stained a bit on the inside, but its white fur so its not shocking.

Im attaching a picture of the guitar, one of how it sits in the case(looks like the case isn't built for the midtown in specific), and a few of how the material is not properly glued, and how it split.(Maybe ill have to post the images in more than 1 post)

Edit: I will post only the worst picture of the case, It says the attachments are too big, I'll try to make the pictures smaller to fit more of them

That may be damage that occurred prior to its life with a guitar in the case. Like a forklift hit it in the case factory when it was on a pallet. Can you send just the case back to the dealer?.

Super nice guitar. I'd keep that.

Looks like it could be impact damage from before you even bought it.

Agree with Zentar, I would contact Musicians Friend right away, (I wouldn't go to Gibson CS just yet)

MF has a good return policy and right now, you are well within your return period.

They SHOULD be able to work something out for you with a case swap.

• 7 months later...

I have a 2015 Gibson Midtown Standard and my case is structurally perfect. That being said, I have noticed that the edge of one of the latches is very sharp. This is not an image of my case, showing it just to explain what I mean.

XPyiiMw.jpg

Sorry to read about your case; just make sure your guitar has no visible cracks! If your guitar is OK... ask for a replacement case. That case will start spring wider gaps.

Sharp latches...non sequetur ...thread high jack? msp_biggrin.gif

Archived