Gibson Brands Forums

Wood 'Drinking' all the Tru-Oil/ SG 70's Tribute Upgraded

dava4444

Hi guys

So I have *almost* finished upgrading my 70's Tribute.. which I am now calling my 'Gibson SG Gothic Hotrod'.

I am having a strange problem however.. I have re-finished it in natural ebony, and am trying to use Tru-Oil to make it glossy, but..

the neck is 'drinking' all of the oil. At first I get a glossy sheen, then i give it a *slight* wipe to remove the stickiness, and bam! it's like its all gone. :/ The body is not too bad.. but the neck.. maaan! I put like 5 coats of thick oil on it and it's back to nothing! o.O

I just want to also share a pic coz I'm quite proud of it :) .. aside from the tru-oil problem, I am still working on sanding the MOP inlays down to flush. I was thinking about buying a MOP faceplate.. but now I've assembled the guitar, I kinda like the gold, fits with the (tbh unintended) theme.

2w6hwfa.jpg

(The other guitar is my Alden Bluesline 'Custom Plus'.. I collect Aldens and really like the set neck ones, don't like the bolt on ones, weird shape neck)

Tru-Oil as in the gun stock oil?

I've used it on a few projects and have found it works best if you wipe a very thin coat on and don't leave anything 'on the surface'.... think hand lotion. Yes, it seems like nothing is happening but it is. Eventually the finish will build up to where you can see it.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Thanks for your reply ksdaddy

Yes@ Tru-Oil birchwood-casey gun stock

Although I already tried the slower method for two days, and that didn't work until (on the body) I put really thick coat on, and that worked :)

I had tried thin and thick on the neck too with no joy.it just sucks all the oil in

I'm a little concerned..

If it drys up again, do you think I should try dousing the neck in linseed oil, what erm.. 6 hours to dry, wax it a bit then try again? :/

I'm really not sure, and other people I have been reading (on other forums) have trouble getting it to absorb, but this is quite the opposite

You put a Jazzmaster trem on an SG? Wild. Wasn't the body too shallow?

It was.. I went down to 1/4 inch then I used 4 medium bolts as height props. It was between this and the LesTrem II*.. all in it it cost 51 quid (60 bucks) including the Towner Down Bar.. and I knew I wanted that bar for the looks anyways :)

That's probably the problem.. I first re-finished (ebony) it using the linseed oil as a filler, then changed my mind and wanted a 'cracked solid finish' with some tinted very light blue gloss.. then I *forgot* to fill it again when I re-finished it (third time). ah!

*Thomann have the LesTrem II for around £75 including delivery. I knew what I was getting with the Jazz/Jag trem

wee update for those who stumble on this thread.

I got it solved by

1. getting a small flat chunk of candlewax

2. rubbed it all over the desired areas

3. more hand rubbing

4. (the wax was white looking so..) I used linseed oil to 'filler blend' it a bit.

5. waited around 30 secs to a minute

6. applied the Tru-Oil

worked a treat!

I Rin&R'd* twice already, n' it's coming up all glossy like I wanted :)

Little update 31/3/17 :

It drank it *again*.. while the above method has *some* merit, it was just too slow for me!

So I found my clear nail varnish for fixing finish chips and used that.. sorted it in under an hour two days ago! still feeling good. smashing!

*Rinse and Repeat

Archived