Gibson Brands Forums

Damaged thread on new LP Classic thumbwheel

Marin2112

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L9s6eH9fd2ixdkDRskOiGZR3RANezfVpdw/view?usp=drivesdk

I hope photo will upload. I tried to lower the action yesterday, forst time after purchasing the guitar and noticed that thumb wheel on bass side is somewhat harder to turn and adjust with allen key. It felt like damaged thread. When I removed the top locking pin it was obvious...

I sent the warranty claim to Gibson and Thomann to send me the new thumb weel and now wait for the reply.

I was even looking to purchase a pair soonest as these should not be expensive, but I cannot find matching thumb wheels anywhere online. This is aluminium bridge (Nashville type looks to me) with titanium saddles and Tone Lock studs (guitar is hp line). Does anyone know where to look for similar replacement studs without replacing the whole bridge?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L9s6eH9fd2ixdkDRskOiGZR3RANezfVpdw/view?usp=drivesdk

I hope photo will upload. I tried to lower the action yesterday, forst time after purchasing the guitar and noticed that thumb wheel on bass side is somewhat harder to turn and adjust with allen key. It felt like damaged thread. When I removed the top locking pin it was obvious...

I sent the warranty claim to Gibson and Thomann to send me the new thumb weel and now wait for the reply.

I was even looking to purchase a pair soonest as these should not be expensive, but I cannot find matching thumb wheels anywhere online. This is aluminium bridge (Nashville type looks to me) with titanium saddles and Tone Lock studs (guitar is hp line). Does anyone know where to look for similar replacement studs without replacing the whole bridge?

If it is a new guitar under warranty, I imagine something like this would be covered. I'd wait to hear from Gibson. I bet they would want you to send it in or bring it to an authorized repair shop.

I just found out that the other thumb weel thread broke... This is b...s...! They would want to send the guitar in? AD is in Germany, I'm in Croatia, it's out of question. I just need new thumb weels I will purchase them if required (this is like 10 USD thing)... Thing is I cannot find WHERE to buy this exact bridge, yet alone just the thumb weels. I see below bridge it's written API but it gives nothing on google.

Well I didn't receive a reply from anyone yet, I'm now wondering if they will really ask me to send the complete guitar for this, cause I will not do that... I did slacken the strings before adjustments, yes. From what I can see, it looks like material of the threads is too soft and too thin for what is supposed to do ( well obviously, since both broke ). One of the studs even looks a bit corroded inside the hex thread, but it might be just a dirt, I'm not sure. Most tragic thing is that I cannot enjoy guitar anymore till this is fixed...

Well I didn't receive a reply from anyone yet, I'm now wondering if they will really ask me to send the complete guitar for this, cause I will not do that... I did slacken the strings before adjustments, yes. From what I can see, it looks like material of the threads is too soft and too thin for what is supposed to do ( well obviously, since both broke ). One of the studs even looks a bit corroded inside the hex thread, but it might be just a dirt, I'm not sure. Most tragic thing is that I cannot enjoy guitar anymore till this is fixed...

What material is the thumbwheel post? I would expect stainless steel. It looks like it may be chrome plated. If this is breaking under normal use its probably brittle due to incorrect heat treatment. If this is the case then yes, you need another pair. Its Gibson's liability.

Send the pictures to Gibson and at least ask for replacements before you do anything else.

Yes I did that and I'm waiting for their feedback. Material of the bridge should be aluminium, chrome plated I think (saddles are titanium), for the thumb wheels I'm not sure. As guitar is now without strings I made some more inspection:

- I can see light string marks on e,B and E on titanium zero fret nut. I hope it will not create grooves over time, which would be relly dissapointing for titanium nut...

- Bottom of truss rod cover, just below the bottom screw, was too long and touching the nut base, making a small dent. I sanded the extra off and it is OK now, actual dent is obsolete, but the point is that whoever was screwing truss rod cover and making the setup in the factory HAD TO NOTICE this... Amazing they didn't rectify it, but just let it be...

I mean don't get me wrong, I still love this guitar for all that it represents to me, but some bad things that I read about Gibson on forums seem to have valid grounds now... I know it's not Custom shop, but these kind of things should not be happening on a new 2200 USD Gibson Les Paul Classic, and with HP mark for that matter... Slightly dissapointed to say the least.

String marks on titanium nut: Its probably nothing to worry about. Contact marks can occur on most materials without meaning trouble. Is it dark marks, looking like oil or graphite maybe? Its probably superficial.

I'm uncertain about the characteristics of polymers. Are you using coated strings?

Titanium is far harder than any string. Should cope with anything for as long as the guitar lasts.

You should be able to tell if the bridge is chrome coated or not, as aluminium cannot be buffed to a shine that compares to chrome. If it looks chrome it probably is.

Those thumbwheels are a concern. I hope Gibson can send replacements. I also hope they investigate whats gone wrong here. Have you got the bits of broken thread? Might be an idea to try and photograph it to prove your point.

String marks on titanium nut: Its probably nothing to worry about. Contact marks can occur on most materials without meaning trouble. Is it dark marks, looking like oil or graphite maybe? Its probably superficial.

I'm uncertain about the characteristics of polymers. Are you using coated strings?

Titanium is far harder than any string. Should cope with anything for as long as the guitar lasts.

You should be able to tell if the bridge is chrome coated or not, as aluminium cannot be buffed to a shine that compares to chrome. If it looks chrome it probably is.

Those thumbwheels are a concern. I hope Gibson can send replacements. I also hope they investigate whats gone wrong here. Have you got the bits of broken thread? Might be an idea to try and photograph it to prove your point.

I received a short reply from Gibson Europe. They will send pair of thumbweels free of charge, however they mention it is courtesy as damage is not covered by warranty... Nice to receice new parts, but I hope new pair will be better. I did send them photos of broken pieces as well as apparent rust/dirt marks in one of the two treads, but I guess they don't think it's a big issue and want to close the thing down.

I also think marks on nut are from the strings and not the wear. Those were 10-46 factory strings, I guess nickel wounded.

Bridge is indeed chrome plated.

One question from my side. While strings were on, even with original factory setup, both e strings were touching back of the bridge behind saddles. Tailpiece was already quite high. I didn't see it as an issue, sound was OK, but should I maybe try to round wrap the tailpiece or something?

While strings were on, even with original factory setup, both e strings were touching back of the bridge behind saddles.

As do all of my Gibson electrics..

Despite the raging debate that goes on about this, at the end of the day I really don't think this matters,

set the stop bar to your desired setting for tension, and carry on my wayward son

It's a shame that the gibson warranty is as frail as it is. I was told by CS that installing a strap button in my SJ200 (no matter who did it) was a void of "certain parts" of the warranty.

I'm surprised they have not found a way to void the warranty when you restring... :-k

While strings were on, even with original factory setup, both e strings were touching back of the bridge behind saddles.

As do all of my Gibson electrics..

Despite the raging debate that goes on about this, at the end of the day I really don't think this matters,

set the stop bar to your desired setting for tension, and carry on my wayward son

I didn't find it to cause any issue as well to be honest ( didn't even notice it before I went to adjust the action). Thanks for the advice, I'll leave it as it is.

Archived