Gibson Brands Forums

Compound Radius Fingerboard

Twang Gang

So I got a new Standard 2017 T and overall I love it. But in playing it for 5 days now I've noticed something that is sort of weird. It has a compound radius fingerboard which is more rounded up near the nut, and then flattens out as you go up the fingerboard. What I'm experiencing is that when playing simple cowboy chords that I seem to pull the strings a little out of tune. When playing further up the neck this doesn't happen.

I have had 4 other LPs over time, and a few archtop Gibsons as well that don't have this type of neck and never experienced this with any of them. It's like I'm used to applying more pressure on the fingerboard than this guitar needs and the result is that my fingers sort of slide a little when chording and it pulls the strings a little out of tune.

Hopefully I can adjust my technique to avoid this, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing? The guitar stays in tune and is intonated correctly. Sometimes I think it may be out of tune, but when I check it, it's right on - I just am bending the strings a little unintentionally.

Hi TG,

I have a couple of compound rad fingerboards and I like them.

I have no idea what cowboy chords are, but whatever they might be, they're still just chords.

I have not experienced what you describe, but I agree absolutely that you need to relax your grip.

Are you using a strong pick action? Often players unintentionally coordinate the power of the picking hand to that of the fretting hand.

Experiment and find the 'just firm enough' grip on the fingerboard. This is the minimal pressure needed to fret the chord. Practice it with soft picking & gradually increase the power of the picking stroke. As you do, check that you are not increasing fretting pressure.

Its good general practice to apply minimal fretting pressure all the time, as it aids fluidity of playing.

Good luck

What I'm experiencing is that when playing simple cowboy chords that I seem to pull the strings a little out of tune.

nut probably needs some attention, slots a bit too shallow. and as mentioned, check how hard you are fretting too.

Compound radius fingerboards might feel different. One Les Paul and one Fender Telecaster of mine have them. The Les Paul neck edges are and feel slimmer at the low frets while those of the Telecaster are and feel thicker at the higher frets. I just adapt my fretting to them.

Hi TG,

I have a couple of compound rad fingerboards and I like them.

I have no idea what cowboy chords are, but whatever they might be, they're still just chords.

I have not experienced what you describe, but I agree absolutely that you need to relax your grip.

Are you using a strong pick action? Often players unintentionally coordinate the power of the picking hand to that of the fretting hand.

Experiment and find the 'just firm enough' grip on the fingerboard. This is the minimal pressure needed to fret the chord. Practice it with soft picking & gradually increase the power of the picking stroke. As you do, check that you are not increasing fretting pressure.

Its good general practice to apply minimal fretting pressure all the time, as it aids fluidity of playing.

Good luck

Very good post. [thumbup]

... Often players unintentionally coordinate the power of the picking hand to that of the fretting hand. ...

I do so intentionally, according to the momentary amplitude of the respective string(s). It often helps, in particular when fingerings don't allow for fretting all the strings close to the fret wires.

In short, my approach always is as little fingering pressure as possible but as much as required.

Archived