Gibson Brands Forums

new 2017 Les Paul Tribute T

telemike

Actually, my first Gibson ever. Had an Epiphone Nighthawk reissue. Usually a Fender style guitar buyer. Bought a 2017 Les Paul Tribute T since GC had a 15% sale going on and I traded in my AC4 and Panama cab towards it.

I like the vintage 490 alnico II pickups. I don't really care for super hot humbuckers. These have a nice sweet high end. The finish is ok, there's some gold overspray in a few spots, but it's affordable to me. Neck plays nice. I just lemon oiled the fingerboard and put some EB 10's on.

Suprised that the 490's have a real treble bite to them. Articulate and clear.

IMG_20170121_144036_zpsf4ca4gac.jpg

IMG_20170121_143835_zpsjtadnnzv.jpg

IMG_20170121_143910_zps9zio0eob.jpg

IMG_20170121_144046_zpsbjy8o2yy.jpg

That's a good looking guitar you got yourself. Congrats on feeding the addiction! I recently picked up the SG Special that is at the same price point as the tributes, also with the same pickups and I have to say I have been pleasantly surprised with it. I agree with you about the description of the pickups as well. I think Gibson will do well with these guitars if they can keep turning them out at this level. I am just hoping I don't run across on of those GC 15% promotions because then I'll more than likely own one as well. Hahaha, for the price why not, right.

Congrats again.

Beerad

Thanks Telemike !

After reading your post I packed up my 94 Ibanez and my near new Epi Les Paul GT Traditional Pro and went out to GC. I wanted to try out and compare the Tribute to the Epi Traditional. I loved playing the Epi and had no problems with it. And even though I have had the Ibanez for 20 years, it didn't get much use. I just didn't like playing it as time went on. With the Epi LP and my ES-125, the case on the Ibanez never got opened.

Like I said, I loved the Epi LP Traditional. But, the Gibson LP Tribute is worlds nicer. I loved the weight and the way it handled. Cosmetically, I like the Tribute pickup covers better than the Epi Zebras. I dug the Epi GoldTop with the satin brown back. But I like the Tribute gold top and the natural back better. Plus I like the vintage knobs and tuners better. I bought locking tuners for the Epi - which I will miss.....

I found the push-pulls on the Epi to be a bit fickle and produce an okay sound on my Blues Jr. The Tribute sounded great. I dig the smooth tones it produced. Most of all, I loved the feel of the neck and the board. On the Epi, I could feel the fret edges - but not on the Gibson. Plus, on the Epi the fingerboard wasn't as nice - since there were slight marring on the board next to the frets. None of this affected playing - it was just cosmetically noticeable next to the Tribute. The board on the Tribute felt smoother, rounded and easier to play.

In the end, I ended up getting close to what I wanted I for the trades. Even with 15% off - and taxes - I still had to fork over some cash. On the down side, The Tribute I tested out had been played, and I didn't want to pay new for a wall guitar that was showing signs of wear. There was a small, but deep, scratch in the neck and 2 very tiny dents on the body where someone probably hit the guitar against something. No big deal. The plastic was pulled off the guard. Other than that it was really pretty. It stayed in tune, was intoned and looked clean, except for the finger prints on the pickup covers.

I added my dirt to it for an hour, so I shouldn't be so high and mighty.

Anyway, my guitar is being shipped to me. I can't wait to play it. I Really hope this is the last guitar that I'll buy for a long time !

Happy Playing : Mark

Anyway, my guitar is being shipped to me. I can't wait to play it. I Really hope this is the last guitar that I'll buy for a long time !

Haha... that's what I said when I got my first Gibson.

I like the Tributes. Have half a mind to replace my 2016 with a 2017 HP. Quite taken by the chrome-on-gold top look and much prefer the slim neck.

Hi, I'm from India and recently bought the same guitar....Although not a professional musician, i have been playing guitar for close to 36 years...Over the years, I have played many guitars, however this is my first Gibson and a Les Paul too...The reaction...?? Simply mind blowing...Just cant stop playing ... Wish I could crank up the volume, however that would be a problem with the neighbours...Nevertheless I'm quite simply bowled...And the best part is the everlasting sustain...Thank you Gibson

Now I am thinking of investing in a Hard Case in order to protect this beauty...I have finally settled on the SKB 56 Single Cut...Can someone kindly comment on my choice of Hard Case..? Is this a wise investment for the LP..?

Thanks

Hi, I'm from India and recently bought the same guitar....Although not a professional musician, i have been playing guitar for close to 36 years...Over the years, I have played many guitars, however this is my first Gibson and a Les Paul too...The reaction...?? Simply mind blowing...Just cant stop playing ... Wish I could crank up the volume, however that would be a problem with the neighbours...Nevertheless I'm quite simply bowled...And the best part is the everlasting sustain...Thank you Gibson

Now I am thinking of investing in a Hard Case in order to protect this beauty...I have finally settled on the SKB 56 Single Cut...Can someone kindly comment on my choice of Hard Case..? Is this a wise investment for the LP..?

Thanks

Hi.

I had to buy a case for one of mine too because it came with gigbag.

After looking for some locally I decided to buy an original Gibson case. None of the ones I saw had perfect fit and neck support like the original ones.

Never tried SKB cases but the

Model: 1SKB-56 looks like a really nice case and it also supports most of the neck.

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=233&o=&offset=1&c=75&s=75

Looks nice, but I would try it if you can.

Hi.

After looking for some locally I decided to buy an original Gibson case. None of the ones I saw had perfect fit and neck support like the original ones.

Model: 1SKB-56 looks like a really nice case and it also supports most of the neck.

http://www.skbcases....set=1&c=75&s=75

Thanks a lot for the advice...Mine also came with a soft case..

Boy those new Tributes are beautiful! So glad that Gibson has continued to make this model. Does anyone remember how hard it was to get one of the Tributes when they first came out in 2010? I had to wait months to get this 50s tribute.

101_0546-2.jpg

Sadly,I had to sell my first Tribute but then about a year later The Humbucker versions were announced and I decided I wanted to get one of those. I think these were also hard to get when they first came out(only available in Europe in 2011). I bought this one used last week but if I hadn't have found it at my local GC I would have bought a 2017. BTW,does Gibson still make the other versions of The LP Studio Tribute(50s,60s,70s)?

002_2.jpg

Hi.

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=233&o=&offset=1&c=75&s=75

The SKB 56 Singlecut seems a popular choice for LPs and lots of satisfied customers.

You're right on the money with the point about neck support. Choosing a 3rd party case can be disastrous. My luthier says he prefers gigbags to these.

Archived