Gibson Brands Forums

Truss rod cover question (?)

Revolution Six

I found this TRC in a spare parts box, do you think it' s a custom shop one ?...

Short answer?

No.

msp_smile.gif

msp_thumbup.gif

The long answer is...

I've checked against the two Historic TRC's which I have (and which are identical to one another) and yours is not the same as that pair. It's not even close.

I'm not going to say with 100% certainty that yours didn't come from Gibson Custom Shop - just that it isn't even remotely the same as the ones which I have from the CS.

Two snaps;

Sorry about the crappy iPhone pics and I'm afraid the TRCs have swapped places in each pic...

Regular Gibson USA-line TRC with equal-thickness black and white layers and CS Historic TRC with thin-black / thick-white layers;

TRC%2002%20lo-res_zpsoepsvlbs.jpg

TRC%2001%20lo-res_zpsifahanpt.jpg

Do you have even the slightest grounds for believing yours to be a genuine Gibson (never mind Custom Shop) TRC? It doesn't look like it to me. The edge profile looks wholly wrong; especially at the 'clapper' end of the 'bell'. Nor does it look anywhere near as refined in outline shape as the CS one in my snaps. The cutting accuracy of the 'known' CS Historic part is FAR superior to the one in your picture. Also look at the the black area which surrounds the screwholes; on 'yours' this area is wider and doesn't wrap around the screw-holes outline as tightly.

Lastly; the white layer of my Historic TRCs is machined from sheet plastic and this results in a slightly rough surface to the edge-profile. Yours appears quite smooth - as if it has been fabricated using a different process from mine.

But, as with all things Gibson, manufacturing processes change so who knows what the latest CS TRCs are like? It could be that some CS instruments have non-historic - yet also non-USA-line TRCs? I doubt whether they would go to all that bother but it IS possible. But your TRC is a very pale imitation of the ones on the CS Historics which I own and if we dial-in the extraordinary lengths to which CS has gone in recent years to get as close as possible to the authentic guitars' specifications I have the very deepest of doubts as to the parentage of your TRC.

Perhaps if you sent an e-mail to Gibson Customer Service they would be able to advise you better.

Pip.

• 3 months later...

Have to agree with Pip on this one. I have 2 Custom Shop guitars, one built in 2002, and the other built 10 years later in 2012. The TRCs on my two guitars look identical, but they don't look anything like what you found in the spare parts bin. :unsure:

Archived