Gibson Brands Forums

"Strike the Match"

dhanners623

First song of 2017. I'm originally from Casey, IL, and while there have been a few positive things happening in my hometown over the past few years (it is home of the Guinness-certified World's Largest Rocking Chair...) the local businesses took a whallop after Walmart opened in Marshall (19 miles to the east) in 1985. Walmart's business model of predatory capitalism is well-documented; They come in, run the mom-and-pops out of business and then offer mostly part-time jobs with few or no benefits.

This is also a tune inspired by the recent election and, in part, by Trump's line about, "What have you got to lose?" Only somebody who lives in a gold-plated New York penthouse says something like that because real people living on the edge know what it is like to lose everything. Guys like Trump will always have safety nets when they fail; they'll always pass the risk on to somebody else. Likewise with Walmart. It is an actual part of their anti-union business model to pay low wages so employees will have to depend, in part, on government assistance. Instead of paying something near a living wage, the family that owns the company (the six heirs of founder Sam Walton are worth $145 billion with a "b") rakes in the profits while employees -- the people who actually do the work -- often must rely on our tax dollars to get by.

Put another way, the Walton heirs have more wealth than the bottom 40 percent of the American population.

So here is "Strike the Match," played on my '16 J-35, capoed at the second fret with a partial capo that leaves the low E string open:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cvqEL-y59l4

Politics is forbidden in this Forum.

But, if you are going down that rabbit hole let me say this before the lock.

Trump said "What do you have to lose" to the inner city voters. Like Chicago. Where democrat leadership have allowed more killing than war zones. Guess those lives don't matter.

I'm pro wall, pro capitalism, pro tax cuts, pro gun, pro pipeline, and all about bringing back jobs.

I'm anti boys going into girls bathrooms, sanctuary cities, open borders, schools graduating kids that can't read, and free phones.

Boom !

It's not politics. It is explaining the genesis of the song. It's like listening to "This Land is Your Land" or "The Wreck at Los Gatos" and not wondering what Guthrie was thinking when he wrote them.

And if you don't like the song's explanation, you're always free to skip over it.

This is also a tune inspired by the recent election and, in part, by Trump's line about, "What have you got to lose?" Only somebody who lives in a gold-plated New York penthouse says something like that because real people living on the edge know what it is like to lose everything. Guys like Trump will always have safety nets when they fail; they'll always pass the risk on to somebody else. Likewise with Walmart. It is an actual part of their anti-union business model to pay low wages so employees will have to depend, in part, on government assistance. Instead of paying something near a living wage, the family that owns the company (the six heirs of founder Sam Walton are worth $145 billion with a "b") rakes in the profits while employees -- the people who actually do the work -- often must rely on our tax dollars to get by.

Put another way, the Walton heirs have more wealth than the bottom 40 percent of the American population.

That, my friend, is politics in a guitar forum.

Both humans , both Americans and both musicians

Every country in the world the average man just wants heat and shoes for his kids

Being Irish politics has never really effected my life. Guess I'm lucky

Everyone in the graveyard votes the same

Did you manage to avoid the many years of religious conflict over there, bbg. If yes, lucky and clever you. .

Did you manage to avoid the many years of religious conflict over there, bbg. If yes, lucky and clever you. .

Learnt at a young age everyone's the same

Take the idiots out of the equation that get a pretty good livelihood from dividing people , obvious racketeering to me.

The lines on maps aren't there if you walk to where they should be

But yes , some innocents have been caught in the crossfire of greedy men with narrow minds .

If we're not free to discuss where songs come from or what motivates us to create, what's the use?

This is not a "song discussion" Forum.

It's a Forum to sell guitars. Capitalism.

Henry ALLOWS us to post some songs we create with the guitars.

Henry is a Republican.

If the discussion veers into politics, or actually STARTS OUT about politics, that is forbidden.

Get it?

Henry is a Republican.

If the discussion veers into politics, or actually STARTS OUT about politics, that is forbidden.

Get it?

What I don't get is your snark and attitude. My original post doesn't advocate for any candidate. It recites facts and/or long-accepted beliefs (at least among economists and those involved in community development) about Walmart's business practices and how they can impact a small-town economy, something I have witnessed firsthand since I am from a small town. Maybe you're not. And, again, if we're not free to discuss the creative process and where song ideas come from, what's the use? From my vantage point, you are the one who turned it into politics. You had lots to say about politics, but didn't say a word about the actual song -- you know, the reason for the post.

I will also note that two other songs I posted recently with a definite point of view -- "Uniontown" and "We Will Not Bend" -- were posted with nary a complaint from you, or from anyone else, for that matter.

I'm sure if the moderators (or Henry!) believe it is inappropriate, they will exercise whatever corrective action they feel necessary.

Good song! Helluva note when Woody Guthrie's timely (once again) guitar sign would elicit dire warnings. I recall a time when "This Land" was being talked about as an appropriate national anthem. Let's rejoice that music is inherently apolitical☺

Trump said "What do you have to lose" to the inner city voters. Like Chicago. Where democrat leadership have allowed more killing than war zones. Guess those lives don't matter.

I'm pro wall, pro capitalism, pro tax cuts, pro gun, pro pipeline, and all about bringing back jobs.

I'm anti boys going into girls bathrooms, sanctuary cities, open borders, schools graduating kids that can't read, and free phones.

Boom !

Drawing a line between the discussion of immediate political concerns and the discussion of values and ethics that remain timeless might be a fine way to avoid censorship.

Henry is a Republican.

Get it?

VERBOTEN. Got it!

The "thousand yard stare" i can relate to that. Found myself wanting to see your fretting hand. As regards politics, and Walmart - 2 things i've learned - 1.) I am a little guy, no matter who wins or is in charge, I will lose. 2') It all makes for great song-writing material. [biggrin]

It's not politics. It is explaining the genesis of the song. It's like listening to "This Land is Your Land" or "The Wreck at Los Gatos" and not wondering what Guthrie was thinking when he wrote them.

And if you don't like the song's explanation, you're always free to skip over it.

Perhaps we're speaking of the guitar's role in the great American tradition of songwriting by the folk? Could you have generated your song if your instrument of choice was, say, the tuba? Great American Tuba Ballads. Books could be written! Tubas have been fixtures in the homes of America's amateur songwriters as far back as the country has existed. "This land is...OOM-PAH...this land is...OOM-PAH....

Ah you crack me up Murph, I love ya mate ... [thumbup]

C'mon .. you never snuck into the ladies washroom .... ? :rolleyes:

Boom !

First song of 2017. I'm originally from Casey, IL, and while there have been a few positive things happening in my hometown over the past few years (it is home of the Guinness-certified World's Largest Rocking Chair...) the local businesses took a whallop after Walmart opened in Marshall (19 miles to the east) in 1985. Walmart's business model of predatory capitalism is well-documented; They come in, run the mom-and-pops out of business and then offer mostly part-time jobs with few or no benefits.

So here is "Strike the Match," played on my '16 J-35, capoed at the second fret with a partial capo that leaves the low E string open:

If you'll consider returning to Amerika, we could write some songs together. Perform on the street. Get arrested. Go to jail. ☺ Get free guitars from advertising our Gibsons. Run for office. Get elected.

If you'll consider returning to Amerika, we could write some songs together. Perform on the street. Get arrested. Go to jail. ☺ Get free guitars from advertising our Gibsons. Run for office. Get elected.

A little bit of smoke inhaled from Steve Earle's 'burning it down'

Cut from the same cloth

I've heard he's got aWalmart song. After I wrote this I went and listened to part of it. There are some similarities in that we both use a partial capo on the tune, and if you do that, it pretty much puts you in the key of E (to take advantage of the ringing low E) and so I guess there's going to be some sonic similarities. Plus we both use destructive imagery; I talk about blowing things up and he talks about burning things down. Put all that together and there are only so many places the song can go....

Great song,

For those who insist this is political, I have 1 question: political (really?) or just the TRUTH?

Archived